Too Late to Tell You Chapter 1

 

Duo sighed as he leaned against the doorframe watching Heero type furiously on the keyboard. It had been two months since Relena's funeral and Heero had taken it upon himself to track down her killer. Duo knew that Heero was going over the same information again, probably for the thousandth time since they ran out of leads two weeks ago. 

Anyone that wasn't there the day of the shooting would have thought that Heero had taken everything pretty well. But Duo knew better having been there. And he knew what effect Relena's death had on the stoic Japanese boy, having seen him break down. Duo never had spoken a word of Heero's actions that day to anyone. 

But what had him worried was Heero was so determined to find Relena's killer that he had been neglecting himself. Heero pushed himself into his old routine of being the perfect soldier. He looked exhausted and slightly malnourished, but continued to push himself to the brink of death just to get revenge. And it was time that Duo did something before Heero collapsed.

Crossing the room Duo took a seat by across from Heero's desk. Once getting closer he got a better look at Heero, the guy looked like shit due to lack of sleep.

"Any luck finding something new?"

Heero knew of Duo's presence since he had been standing in the doorway, and had hopped that Duo would pick up off gloomy attitude and leave him alone. He had to complete his work, he had to keep his promise to Relena. Heero chose not to answer Duo's question and continued with his search. 

Duo shook his head. "It looks like you could use a break and a bite to eat. What do ya say Heero, will you have lunch with me?" When he still didn't get a response, Duo decided to try something more drastic. "Look Heero, I don't think that Relena would have wanted you to do this to yourself."

Heero stopped typing and glared at Duo. "What in the hell would you know what she would want?"

"Heero running yourself into the ground to find this guy is going to kill you. What if you happen to find out who it was? You're in no shape to go after the person."

Heero stared blankly at Duo. He had no idea what to say as the Americans words hit him. Duo was right, he shouldn't let himself get out of top physical shape. A beep came from his computer and Heero once again returned his attention back to the screen. Glancing at Duo, when he took notice that he threw his hands up in disgust and headed toward the door. Heero turned off his monitor, letting the computer continue its search, and stood up.

"I wouldn't mind lunch."

Duo smiled and started to chat about anything and everything that came to mind as they walked down the hallway. Heero walked quietly beside Duo taking notice of people looking at him, slightly shocked that he had left his office. Once they stepped foot outside the Preventers building Heero squinted his eyes. He rarely ever saw daylight. He would head home late at night, if he left his office at all. 

After reaching a small diner that Preventer workers visited regularly they took a seat. Duo started to strike up a conversation with one of the waitresses. Heero got bored of Duo's flirtatious attitude and glanced out the diner window. And that is when the feeling that he was being watched hit him. 

Heero pretended that he was paying attention to Duo's conversation and let his eyes wander around hoping to catch a glimpse of who was watching him. After a few moments he heard Duo's voice.

"Hey, Heero."

"Hn," 

Duo pointed at the menu. "What do you want?"

Heero shrugged his shoulders. "What ever."

Duo sighed. "I'll take that as an, I can order for you reply." There was no response from Heero, in fact his attention seemed to be elsewhere. Duo smirked and ordered for the both of them. "I hope you can deal with some really greasy fries, you need to put on some weight."

"What?" Heero looked over at Duo to see the huge grin on his face disappear.

"What's going on Heero? You're totally not paying attention to me."

"Nothing." 

Duo stared at him for a few minutes before smiling once again, and started to talk about a young blond haired lady that he was currently seeing. 

Heero listened for a few moments then started to wonder what happened between Duo and Hilde. He knew that the girl had a crush on Duo, it was obvious with what she did for them during the war. All Duo did lately was talk about some other girl besides that dark haired, blue eyed German girl. In fact he never mentioned Hilde's name in over a year. The waitress dropped off their plates and walked off, and Heero eyed the hamburger and greasy fires that was on his plate.

"What ever happened to you and Hilde?"

Duo about choked on his hamburger as Heero asked that question. He coughed and pounded on his chest while grabbing his drink. After taking a huge gulp and a few breaths of air, Duo looked at Heero to see the serious look on his face, waiting for his question to be answered. 

"Me and Hilde?" Heero continued to stare. "There really wasn't anything between us. Besides I haven't seen her in quite sometime."

Heero looked down at his plate and poked at his food. "Have you even talked to her?"

"Heero, that's really none of you business."

"But you made it your business when it came to things between Relena and I."

Duo leaned back in his seat and watched Heero. He was shocked that Heero was talking about this, but he was right about him being nosy about Heero's relationship with Relena. But he did it only because he knew that the both of them had feelings for each other. He was only trying to give them a push in the right direction. 

"Ok if you really need to know then I'll tell you. I don't want a good girl like Hilde to get involved with someone like me."

Heero made a humph sound and decided to try his food.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Duo watched Heero continue to eat his fries. "Well, are you going to tell me what's going on in that mind of yours?"

"You're acting the same way that I did toward Relena." Duo remained silent waiting for Heero to continue. "I never felt that I was good enough for her. And the person that I was, with the past that I had, would end up hurting her."

"My relationship with Hilde is by far different from what you didn't have with Relena." Duo snapped at Heero, and received a glare for the Japanese man. "Besides, I know how I feel for Hilde. You were in denial there for a while buddy. And now that she's dead you're willing to announce to the world what you felt for her. So don't sit here and try to give me a lecture on love when you really know nothing about it." Duo's eyes went slightly wide with the look that Heero was giving him, and the sound of his voice sent a chill up his spine.

"She would be alive today if you would have taken her home, without opening your big mouth." Heero growled at Duo just as he sprang to his feet and reached out for Duo.

Duo could hear the other people in the small diner turn their attention toward them as Heero grab his shirt. He watched Heero pull back his fist getting ready to hit him. Closing his eyes Duo got ready for the impact, but soon felt Heero let go of his shirt. Opening his eyes he saw that Heero was gone and let out the breath that he had been holding. Turning around he seen Heero heading out the diner in a hurry, and caught a glimpse of someone outside that took off running as Heero appeared outside. 

"Shit." 

Springing up out of his chair Duo ran past the waitress and yelled at her. "Save my lunch Sheryl, I'll be back.î Then took off after Heero. Duo found it to be hard to keep up the former Wing pilot and quickly lost sight of him. After running a couple of blocks he spotted Heero standing in front of an alleyway with his gun drawn. Duo pulled out his gun once he got close enough.

"What's going on Heero?"

"Back me up."

Duo nodded and they slowly made their way down the dead-end alley. He had never seen Heero this focused since the Eve Wars. After searching the alley slowly and carefully they found no signs of someone being there. And Duo cautiously watched Heero as he threw a rampage and kicked the large dumpster nearby. After Heero stopped and seemed to be calming himself down Duo finally decided to ask what was going on.

"So who was that guy you were chasing?"

Heero looked at Duo. His eyes were filled with anger. "That was him."

"Him?"

"The guy that killed Relena."

"And just how do you know that? No one ever saw the guy."

"I know." Heero started to walk away from Duo.

"Where are you going now?" Duo yelled at him.

"Back to the office. You're going to stay here to look for clues."

Duo shook his head as he watched Heero's retreating form, then he remembered something. "But what about lunch?" 

<<<<<=>>>>>

After returning, Heero sat down behind his computer. He was still angry that he couldn't catch the guy, but he had got a good glimpse of him and decided to do a search on the computer. Turning on the monitor, Heero froze. There was a flashing file on his computer. Heero opened it up to see that he had received a message from someone claiming that they had the information that he had been searching for, and that they would be in further contact with him to set up a meeting. 

Heero slammed his fist down. "Damnit." He knew that it had to be that man from earlier today. Heero set to work to trace the e-mail to see if he could find out where it was sent from. But after an hour of searching he gave up. 'This person is very good. He bounced the message to get to me. There's no chance I can trace it.'  All he could do now is wait, and Heero hated waiting games.