Legends Aren't Easy to Come By by Tomorrow

 

 

AN: My second song-fic. I hope you all like it. Please read and e-mail when you're finished. Oh, I didn't use the WHOLE song, because the flow wouldn't have come out right... sorry. But, It's the first verse, refrain, interlude, then refrain... I only skipped the second verse.

 

Disclaimers: I don't know Gundam Wing or the song "Sing Sweet Nightingale" which is owned by Disney, or "You'll Be in My Heart" by Phil Collins.

 

 

"Relena... COME ON!" Heero shouted as he dragged her along the darkened hall. Not a single light led their way as they sprinted desperately through the tunnels, and Relena had no idea where they were going... but Heero seemed to know his way around well enough. She could feel herself being pulled effortlessly with his hidden muscular strength, jutting and turning corners without a moment's notice. Her long, golden tresses created a waterfall of riches that spilled around them, the shine reflecting from these silken tendrils the only torch they had to go by. Once again they rounded the bend, but this time, instead of finding herself gasping for another drink of air, she was face to face with the barrel of a revolver. She tried to speak that she may coax the antagonist into rethinking his rash behavior and perhaps letting her glide once more through the passages out of sympathy, but all she could manage was a faint squeak that the soldier merely smirked at as he cocked the pistol.

*No... no Heero. Where are you? You always saved me before, why don't you come now? You promised to protect me... you promised,* Relena thought to herself as she heard the gun's splitting crack.

*Flashback*

Relena was sitting at her desk, going over new proposals and redacting her speech for the Embassy Ball when she noticed a small, tan package sealed with a scarlet ribbon. Out of curiosity, she opened the package, which contained a passage of brief prose and a beautiful silver necklace. As she held it up to the sunlight that blessed the cumbersome office with its luminous beams of fair blonde, it sparkled and glistened with breath-taking exuberance. The little charm that hung from the band was a modicum of crystal in the shape of a teardrop. As a matter of fact, it even reflected rainbow-kissed spectrums of colorful bliss across the room, much like a raindrop when pitted against the sunlight. Without hesitation she fastened it around her neck and began to read the note.

My dear Relena,

I have written this now that I may atone for my sins, and our confrontations may be considered breached. I know that this small gift may not be what you wanted to receive from me, but it is all I could give you. I chose this of all things because of the tear that accents the chain. I know you will shed many tears over what I must say, but remember that somewhere, no matter how far away, I am crying with you. And now, whenever you weep, your neck will tingle, and you will be reminded of my grief as you bow your head to look down at your throat. I'm having myself arrested as soon as I deliver this letter. I came to you last night and set it upon your desk, but you were sleeping so peacefully and looked so angelic that I couldn't bear to wake you. You may be wondering why I would condemn myself, but the reason is simple. I am a cold-hearted killer. Everything I see, everything I touch withers in my presence. I'm a danger to all mankind, and now I can finally be punished for taking the sum of souls that I have built up over time. Relena, whatever you do, please do not come for me. What I am doing is right, and not even you can change that. I will finally be free. Good-bye my darling friend, for I get so sentimental now because I know I have found a true confidant, and now I am about to lose her. Be safe, and please, after you read this letter, forget me.

Sincerely,
Adin Lowe Jr.
a.k.a. Heero Yuy

<Come stop your crying>
<It will be all right>

Her hands shook as she read the last line of the letter, droplets of bitter water beginning to make their way down her flushing cheeks. She then dropped the paper to the floor, falling to the ground gently like a feather, and ran out of the house that she may find her Heero.

<Just take my hand>
<Hold it tight>

On the front of the envelope was written the address from where the letter was sent, but when she arrived at the apartment, it was vacant. There was no furniture, no drapes, not even a picture in the penury dorm... nothing except the cold wooden floor and the yellowed walls from leakage. But, as she peered out the window that looked over the street, she noticed a strange black car sitting in the alley. When she went to get a closer look at it, she noticed that it had painted in bright white letters on it: SANQ KINGDOM PENITENTIARY. So, Relena went to the prison, looking into every cell trying to find her misguided love. When she passed along the bars, she could hear the men cat-calling and trying to get a grip on her skirt that they could pull it up and elicit a thrill for a change. Her heart sank as she thought of Heero in this sepulchral hide-away, and he choosing for HIMSELF this fate. Upon reaching the end of the hallway, she was already hoarse and shaken from all her tears and began to hyperventilate, calling to her attention one of the guards that thought she was going to faint because of how distraught she looked.

"Please... y-you m-m-must tell me! W-where is Heero Yuy?"

"Oh, the kid that just turned himself in. He was taken to be boarded on a ship that was to bring him to his execution in the L1 Colony Cluster. He said he was a murderer, and the punishment for that kind of a crime is death," the guard told her nonchalantly.

Relena struggled free of the guard's grasp, and as she was running out the door, she asked, "What ship is he on?"

"Flight 282... but you'll never catch'em. He's already scheduled to die." The guard cackled, a smile pulling at his lips.

Relena ran as hard as she could to the spaceport that would hold that flight. She didn't know what she would do if she was too late, and all she could do was pray to God, asking Him to please spare her of this misery. Luckily for her, the flight had been delayed, and before any of the attendants could stop her, she was aboard the shuttle and hunting for the man in charge. She had just reached the cock-pit when the attendants caught up to her and held her at bay, calling the pilot, also the one who would be escorting Heero to his demise, to come and interrogate her.

As the man entered the cockpit, his eyes went wide, and he demanded that they release her at once.

"Don't you know that's the Vice-Foreign Minister!?!?" He screeched. The men immediately let go of her, bowing and muttering their apologies.

"I'm sorry Miss Darlian, but they are new recruits. Please forgive us for our rudeness," the pilot said.

"That's fine, but please tell me where you are keeping Heero Yuy!"

"That murderer! Don't worry Miss Darlian, we're going to get rid of him for you once and for all."

"No! You can't! Please, whatever he has done he has my pardon, just please let him go!"

<I will protect you>
<From all around you>

"I'm sorry, but that's not possible. He's already been tried and awaits his execution."

"I don't care what he's done! I am the Vice-Foreign Minister, and I command you to release him at once!"

"That's not a very nice tone for a princess to use," the man said with a coy smile. Relena stepped back from him, when she found herself once again being restrained by the two "attendants."

"What is this? What are you doing? Let me go!"

"Please don't pout like that, you'll ruin that beautiful little face of yours." As he finished his sentence, Relena grimaced and spat in his face. He looked at her with infuriation, yelling at the guards to make sure she doesn't leave the ship... alive. Before they took her away she asked, "Who are you anyway?"

"We are remnants of the White Fang organization. We were only interested in eliminating the Gundam pilots at first, but now since you stuck your pretty little nose where it doesn't belong, it looks like you'll be sharing the same fate as they. It was easy to get 01's pilot here. He was so off-guard, lost in a silly little daydream, when we posed as the police, responding to call he had made only minutes before. From there it was simple."

"You're lying, he would have known you weren't the real authorities, and the guard at the penitentiary knew who I was speaking of when I said his name!"

"You're right, he did notice... right away. But, we had to do a little friendly persuasion to make sure he wouldn't try to resist. That daydream he was lost in... it was a vision of YOU! Let's just say we used you as the bate, and you didn't even know it. You who are now trying to save him are responsible for getting him into this predicament originally. As for that guard, do you think we're foolish? We had to cover all the bases so that if someone would want to find him, there would be an official law record of his elimination. That guard was one of our men."

"No! NOOOOO!"

<I will be here>
<Don't you cry>

"Away with her... she will be dealt with when the time comes."

The next thing Relena could remember was waking up in a room of luxurious fashion. As she stirred from her lying position, she found herself being caressed in satin sheets and bellowing pillows. Keeping the sun from her eyes was a gorgeous canopy that curtained the bed, decorated with white bows and sequins. Next to the bed was a nightstand made of cherry wood, a glass vase with a bouquet of red roses sitting in its freshly changed water. Other than the clean bathroom and pale curtains that shaded the bay windows, there was not much more to the chamber. She just sat there quietly, wondering to herself if Heero was already dead or if they were only torturing him by now. She slowly pulled the sheets around her shoulders to create somewhat of a wrap, and began to rock herself back and forth, singing a song her birth mother used to sing to her when she lay awake at night fretting.

<For one so small>
<You seem so strong>
<My arms will hold you>
<Keep you safe and warm>

"Oh sing sweet nightingale, sing sweet," her hypnotic tones echoed through the walls. Her voice was melodic in itself, and her whispers and sobs of despair and nostalgia only added to the depth of her sorrowful voice. "Oh sing sweet, nightingale sing. Oh sing sweet nightingale, sing sweet. Oh... sing..." But before she could finish the last line of the refrain, the door burst open, and she felt callous hands latch around her wrists, pulling her through the bowls of the ship... Heero.

<This bond between us>
<Can't be broken>
<I will be here>
<Don't you cry>

*End of Flashback*

As Relena opened her eyes, she was again being hoisted along the corridors... but she didn't understand. She heard the gunfire, the sound still ringing in her ears, and yet she felt no pain coursing in its rampage throughout her body with each drop of her warm crimson taking away one of her lasting breaths. Just before she was about to pass out from exhaustion, they stopped around the bend of one of the passages. Her breasts heaved up and down, and her hair clung to her body that glittered from the sparkles of perspiration that speckled her bosom, face, and arms. She looked over to her rescuer, when she saw it to be Heero, drenched in blood that was pouring from a wound in his chest.

*He... he risked himself for me. He really does care.*

<'Cause you'll be in my heart>
<Yes, you'll be in my heart>
<From this day on>
<Now and forever more>

"Relena," the sharpness in his tone snapping her out of her thoughts, "We have to get to the port of the ship. Zero is there and ready to be boarded. They found it before they captured me."

"But, but Heero... you're hurt. How did you know about Zero, and how did you esca..."

"Not now Relena, we have to hurry. I've already programmed the ship to self-destruct in 5 minutes." She could tell he was fighting back grunts of agony, for she could see the burden reflecting in his eyes. He didn't want her to worry about him, so he tried to stifle the pain as much as possible.

<You'll be in my heart>
<No matter what they say>
You'll be here in my heart, always>

They made it to the harbor without anymore encounters, and Heero was busy downloading the organization's files from the main computer system. As Relena watched him furiously type the codes and passwords that would allow him access to their database, she began to realize how close to death he really was. He was completely soaked in his own bodily fluids, ironically coloring him with the same passion and shame he had seen on himself everyday, and now it was able to be openly seen by others as well. He had to shake his head every once in a while to keep himself alert and conscious, for the loss of blood was making him weak and soporific. Relena knew she had to help ease his pain, but she just didn't know what she could do.

<Don't listen to them>
<'Cause what do they know>
<We need each other>
<To have to hold>
<They'll see in time>
<I know>

Time was running out, and they only had forty-five seconds left. The porthole to the chest cavity of Zero was right behind Heero, and she finally realized what she must do if she wished to save him. With a quick thrust, she shoved him into the doors, causing them to open and allow him safe entrance into the cockpit. As Zero detached from the ship and floated into space, He screamed out her name, pleading with her to tell him why she did such a thing. Her only response to his calls was a genuine smile of pure bliss and tears of jubilation to accompany it. Then with an earth-shattering roar, the ship exploded.

<When destiny calls you>
<You must be strong>
<I may not be with you>
<But you've got to hold on>
<They'll see in time>
<I know>

Great rings of fire encompassed the matter of the ship, adorned with great cinders and sparkles. A cloud of smoke shrouded the area in a dense fog, and fireworks of autumn hues danced about the bleak terrain of stars. As Heero recovered from the abrasive shock of the blast, he looked out to see a lone angel floating in the midst of space... Relena. Her whole body lay limp and battered as it was being carried to some nether-region in space where she may rest in peace and deteriorate. Her once dove-white gown that clothed her before had become tattered with beautiful patterns of rouge making a painting along the garment. From her eyes flowed a lake of diamonds that put to shame the glow of the stars, and made a beautiful blend with the ash-covered tresses that strayed around her face.

<We'll show them together>

Without thinking, Heero wriggled his way out of Zero's cockpit and let himself fly freely into the endless abyss. Somehow, a miracle so it seemed, he was able to boost himself over to her lifeless form, the whole time the oxygen-deprived atmosphere crushing his chest and suckling the air from within him, and took her in his arms. He noticed that his priceless token was no longer setting on her bodice, but now gracefully intertwined between her fingers, dangling from her hand in a dangerous threat to be whisked away by the aura's beckoning. With his last hint of life, he tried desperately to brush his lips against her own, but he perished only millimeters before he could claim them, his whole world turning to darkness.

<'Cause you'll be in my heart>
<Believe me you'll be in my heart>
<From this day on>
<Now and forever more>

It has been said by both the people of the colonies as well as on Earth, that if one looks skyward to the west on the anniversary of the night of this tragedy, he may see a sleek line of stars shimmering and glorified in such a way that it looks like the tears that trailed down the soft cheeks of the two condemned souls... tears which they shed for each other. And, if one gazes closely, he can see the once ominous blue of nightfall turn to a rose tinted hue, for the outer space has been stained with the blood of these two young lovers forever more.

<Oh you'll be in my heart>
<No matter what they say>
<You'll be here in my heart, always>

<always>

 

 

 

AN: Yeah, I know I sucked out on this one, but what can I say... in my mind it was great. Please R&R anyway. Thanks for reading everyone! Bye.