A Nights Embrace : MARS

Prologue

 

Hours after leaving Earth Heero stepped off the shuttle and onto Mars for the first time. He pulled a small piece of paper out of his pocket and looked over the information on it then placed it back. He sighed and picked up his luggage, two bags with all of his life possessions, and started to walk toward the check in station. He handed the paperwork with his info and reason for being there to the clerk. The woman smiled after she looked them over and handed them back to him. 

"Welcome to Mars Mr. Yuy."

"Thanks." Heero mumbled out to her and walked ahead. 

He had read over the information on the Mars project that Zechs gave him, on the flight out. So far there were three levels underground broken into sectors. There were five massive generators on the bottom level to keep power running. People were in fear of the possibility if a generator broke and electricity and air wasn't filtered they were to surely die. Help wouldn't be able to reach them for at least six hours. Since Mars rock structure was still being figured out when they dug sometimes they would run into problems and those problems always resulted in a accident. The shuttle port and fuelling stations were located above the surface. There were also three large domes, about four-football field long, that had different earth environments. So far there were about two hundred people living on Mars, most of them workers and their families. The fist level held business, schools and other social surroundings. The second level was the housing. There were mostly bunkers where the workers without families lived. And the third level held the heart of the Mars outpost, the machinery that kept everything and everyone alive or running.

Heero sat his bags down and looked at his surroundings. When suddenly someone came up to him. 

"Hello there."

Heero nodded at the man.

"I can tell that you new here because I have never saw you before. And well, I know everyone that works here." He extended his hand out toward Heero. "My name is Christopher Laden, but you can call me Chris everyone does." Heero shook the mans hand "So are you looking for someone? Maybe I can help."

'My god he sure does talk" Heero thought. He couldn't help but smile at the man. "I'm looking for Zechs Marquise."

"Zechs huh, that must mean that your Heero Yuy right?" 

Heero was shocked that the man knew who he was. Heero nodded.

"Come with me I'll take you to their place." The man turned and started to walk away. Heero picked up his bags and followed the man to a transport car. The vehicle had huge wheels and carried two people. 

"You need to hold on to your luggage. We don't have very much room on one of these." 

Heero sat down and placed his bags on his lap. Chris sat down and inserted an identification card into a slot and placeed his thumb on a plate. His thumb was scanned and then the vehicle started. Chris looked over at Heero who was watching what he was doing. "I know itís really stupid that they have something like that on this piece of shit." He then drove off down a long passageway that led to the first level. He gave Heero a tour of the first level and headed down to the second and stopped in front of a doorway. "Well here you go. Your friends are lucky they actually get living quarters. I guess it's because he is Zechs Marquise and everyone is afraid that he will blow their head off or something if he doesn't get his way. I get to bunk with the rest of the cattle. Trust me you should ask to stay with your friends. Living where I'm at is foul." Heero smirked. "Its not that funny itís the truth. You'll see if you end up living there." Heero got off of the vehicle and thanked the man. "You don't talk that much do you?" Chris asked. "Don't worry if you hang around me long enough I'll get you to loosen your tongue. See you around sometime." He waved and drove off. 

'What did I do to deserve that? Like he even gave me a chance to talk. I haven't been around anyone like that since I had to bunk with Duo during the war.' Heero thought and shook his head then knocked on the door, a few seconds later Noin answered it.

"Heero you came. Come on in. Zechs should be getting home soon." Noin ushered him into their home and made him sit down in their living room. "Is there anything that I can get for you?"

"No I'm fine. Who is that guy that bought me here?" 

"Oh you must mean Chris. He's quite the talker isn't he? I think that Zechs has you paired up with him for a couple of weeks. At least until you get to know the ropes here." she sat down across from him.

Heero just stared at her with a blank look on his face.

"He's not that bad Heero. In fact I think that the two of you will get along. He's one of the few people that is your age."

"I work better alone."

"Don't start that.,î a voice from the hallway said. They both looked at the occupant. "So you decided to come. Good."

"Zechs." Heero nodded his head in acknowledgement.

"We have three extra guest rooms you're more than welcome to pick one out. I wouldn't want myself living in the bunks house. I don't hate you that much to make you live there. It would only be courteous, since I did invite you here." Zechs walked over and placed a hand on Noinís shoulder. "That is if it is ok with you Noin." 

"Yes it would be a nice to have you here with us Heero." She looked up at Zechs and smiled. 'Well at least his is trying' she thought. 

Heero stared at the two of them and thought 'What are you up to Zechs. Why are you being nice to me?' He then managed to make a small smile cross his face. "Thank you."

The room fell silent. Noin could tell that the two of them had no idea of what to say to the other. "Come on Heero lets go and pick out a room." He grabbed his bags and followed her down the hall. There were two hallways when you first enter the quarters. One hall led to the master bedroom with a large bathroom. "That is our room. And that is the only bathroom with a bathtub." Heero looked down that hallway. Noin then led him down the other across the entryway. "There are three smaller rooms down this hallway. And there is a small bathroom with a shower here." She opened the door to show him. 

Heero was shocked "Quite a large place for just the two of you."

Noin smiled and whispered. "Well I'm hopping that one day these rooms will be busy."

"Oh." Heero smiled back at her. 

"Dinner will be ready in a couple of hours. You'll know when itís ready when I yell at Zechs to let him know." she then left him alone in the hallway. Heero walked to the end of the hall and opened the bedroom door, nice and small. Just what he liked. He walked in and closed the door. He placed his bags by the bed and laid down on it staring at the ceiling. 'What am I getting myself into?' he thought. And then closed his eyes to take a small nap until Noin called.