A Night's Embrace: Mars Chapter 1

 

Heero sat on a stool behind the breakfast bar in Zechs and Noins apartment. He was watching Noin, trying to figure out what in the world she was making them to eat that morning. He looked over to his left to see Zechs sitting down beside him.

"What is she making us today?" Zechs whispered to him.

"I have no idea." Heero whispered back.

Zechs cleared his throat. "Good morning Noin." She turned around and smiled at him then she went back to cooking. "So Heero where are you going to be working at today?"

Heero sat staring at his hands. "I'm suppose to finish up on generator five today, but I think that the rest of the guys can finish it. So Chris and I are going to move on to generator three."

Zechs looked over at Heero "Did you find any stress fractures on generator five?"

"No." 

Noin sat down two plates in front of Zechs and Heero. Both men stared at the food then gave each other a sideways glance. They both looked up to see her standing on the other side of the breakfast bar with her arms crossed glaring at them. Heero and Zechs both picked up their forks and started to eat. There was a knock at the door and Noin went to answer it.  

"Hello Chris." Noin greeted him

"Ms. Noin." he nodded at her then yelled into the apartment "Yuy were going to be late lets go!"

Heero threw his fork down. "Sorry I got to go."

Zechs looked at Heero "You lucky son of a bitch." he mumbled under his breath. He then looked down at the food.

Heero grabbed his jacket and apologized to Noin about having to leave and took off after Chris who was halfway down the hallway. Once he reached Chris he slowed down to match the mans pace.

"You owe me big time Yuy." Chris said.

"I know."

"If Zechs ever catches on that I'm saving your ass from her cooking then he will probably seriously maim me."

Heero smiled "No he would probably find a way for you to get him out of there too."

Chris stopped walking. "You mean that he can't stand her cooking either?"

Heero smiled back at him. 

Chris caught up with Heero. "Poor guy. I can't believe that he hasn't thought of this yet. Heero I don't get it, if your sick of her cooking then why don't you just move out?"

Heero smirked "What and move into the dumps with you?"

"You got a point there. But still maybe you should move out. I thought that you and Zechs couldn't stand each other?"

Heero shook his head. "I made a promise to someone and I intend on keeping it."

--------------------------------------------------

Noin walked back into the kitchen and sat down next to Zechs. "Are you sure that you want to send Heero to the conference?"

"Yes he knows everything about how this colony works. And I'm hoping that who he is will have a affect on some of their decisions."

 "I see." Noin picked up Heero's plate and walked over toward the sink.

"Noin I have trust in any judgment that Heero may decided for this colony."

She smiled and looked back at him. "And to think that just five years ago the two of you were trying to kill one another."

Zechs smiled and finished off the breakfast that Noin made trying not to let her take notice that he couldn't stand each bite.

--------------------------------------------------

After Heero and Chris made it to the locker room and changed into their jumpsuits, they checked out a runner (just the name that they use for the vehicle that they get around in) and started on their drive down to generator three. They were about to head down the tunnel that went to the third level when the head production supervisor stopped them.

ìHello gentlemen. Heero you have been nominated by the council to represent Mars at the upcoming conference on Earth tomorrow.î

Chris smacked his hand down on the wheel. ìYou have got to be kidding right?î

Heero glared at the man. ìWere suppose to check out generator three today. There were possible stress fractures located. I donít have time to play diplomat.î

The man shook his head. ìThereís no need for you to look. I have already sent another team down. Besides you have no choice Heero the necessary paperwork was already sent in and they are expecting you. There's a shuttle waiting for you."

Heero crossed his arms. "Why not send Zechs?" 

"We wanted to, but he nominated that you go instead. He said that with your background people would take you seriously."

Heero nodded "I see. Fine I'll go."

The man smiled and walked away. 

Chris snorted. "Just because you were a gundam pilot they expect you to perform miracles for them. I'm telling you Heero with all the accidents that we have been having lately it's going to take a miracle to get any of the space colonies to trade with us."

Heero crossed his arms. "If we don't establish trade routs with the colonies no one will be able to survive here much longer."

Chris smiled.  "You're really going because you want to see her don't you?"

Heero glanced over at him. "You ask to many questions you know that."

Chris smiled. "How else am I going to know everything about everyone that lives here? So am I right? Are you going to tell her how you feel?"

"I should have never of told you about any of that." Heero looked away from him. 

Chris crossed his arms mimicking Heero. "Let me give you a piece of advice Heero. You should go to her and tell her the truth. It's not going to kill you to just tell the woman that you love her."

Heero leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes.

"Fine, don't want to talk about it again do you? You keep making one mistake after the other. And you're going to keep doing it if you don't do what you're heart is asking you to do." 

Heero stepped out of the runner and started to walk back home.

"Heero!" Chris turned the runner around and pulled next to Heero driving at his pace. "I'm sorry Ok. Your personal life is your business."

Heero kept walking not even looking over at Chris. Chris stopped the runner and watched Heero walk away. "Man he sure can be a asshole at times."

Heero walked back to Noin and Zechs to pack for the week that he would be gone. He believed that the Mars colony was making a mistake choosing him to represent them, and he had Zechs to thank for it. He wasn't any good at that line of work. He hated to talk anymore than he had to. He hated being around too many people in one given space. He hated to smile and shake hands with those people. And he hated the fact that he had to wear a business suit. And to top things off it would be the first time that Mars would be represented at any meeting so he had to set a good example.

He crammed his bag with anything that he could grab. He didn't like that idea of going to the Earth. He left the planet for a reason. Now he was going back and he knew that he would definitely see her. Just the thought of seeing Relena again made his heart jump. Everyday that he was on Mars he had fought against the urge to call her. But every time he started to dial her number he stopped himself for some reason. It sill confused him why he couldn't do it. 

He had found out about Relena and Duo breaking up from a conversation that Noin and Zechs were having one evening about a week after he got there. He had almost packed his bags and left because there would be no one around to protect her that she could trust. But the one thing that held him back was he was starting to like his life there. Then a few weeks ago he again overheard a conversation between Zechs and Noin about a man named Michael McNeil, a young diplomat from the newly rebuilt L5 colony. Heero had felt his heart crush when her herd that Relena had been dating him for months and they were going to get married.

So when Chris had said that he kept making one mistake after another it was true. He should have called her or went to her. The most important thing now was he needed to take a good look at this Michael guy. If she was happy with that man than it would be best to leave her alone. But there was still this rapidly growing need for her deep inside him that was slowly forcing it's way out. Heero had to gather as much info on this man. He had to know what he was up against. Because if he had to be in a battle to win her love, he had to make sure that he didn't make a mistake this time. He had to be ready to prove to her that he loved her and wanted to be with her.  

There was one person who he new would have the information that he wanted. Heero walked over to his computer and dialed the number. After a few moments a familiar face appeared on the screen. 

"Hello Hilde."

Hilde looked totally shocked. "Hi Heero."

Heero gave her a small smile "I need to speak with Duo."

Hilde smiled back at him. "Iíll go find him for you."

After a few minutes Duo sat down behind the screen. He looked a little nervous.  "Heero, What can I do for you?"

"Duo, I need to tell me what you know about the man that Relena's supposed to marry."

Slowly a huge smile crossed Duo face. "What exactly do you want to know?"

"Everything."

Duo smirked "That I can help you with. Only if it's for the reason that I think it is."

Heero nodded "It is."

Duo laughed, "Well, it's about time."

Heero glared at him. "Just tell me what you know Duo."

"Ok. He's a good guy. He treats her right. He loves her she loves him. Don't ask my anything about their private life because she wouldn't go that far with me, so I don't know."

"You talk to her?"

Duo nodded. "At least once every month. We don't talk about the past or even mention you name. She just calls to see how I'm doing. She has no problem checking on you. All she has to do is ask Noin." Duo watched Heero for a few moments. He seemed to be lost in thought. "Heero whatever you are planning you better be serious about it 'cause I don't think that she could stand having you tear her heart into pieces again."

"I love her Duo. I want her to be happy. I was just curious." Heero smiled to show that he was sincere. "I have to get going Duo. I have a shuttle waiting for me."

"Where are you heading off to?"

"Earth. The people here want me to represent them at the conference there."

Duo snickered. "They must be nuts."

Heero smiled. "They must be."

"Well good luck to you Heero. I hope that you make all the right decisions while your there."

Heero nodded and turned the screen off. 'So things are going to be tougher than I thought.'