A Night's Embrace: Mars Chapter 2

 

Heero walked down into the hotel lobby that he was staying at. As far as he knew all of the delegates would be staying there. So that meant that Relena and more than likely this Michael person would be here as well. He was going to get out and take a walk for something to do for an hour before he had to come back and get dressed for the first meeting of the week. He glanced over at the reception desk and froze in his tracks. There she was. And she was standing next to a man that had his arm wrapped around her. Heero felt a tinge of jealousy as he watched the way that she leaned against him and smiled. 

Relena was waiting to get her room key when she had this strange feeling that someone was staring at her. She turned around slowly and scanned the crowd. 

Michael leaned toward her. "Is something wrong Relena?"

She didn't answer him. She kept looking around then she saw him. Heero was standing over by the entryway. He was wearing his old getup, his green tank top and a pair of jeans. He had his arms crossed and it seemed as though his eyes were looking into her very soul. 'What's he doing here?' she thought 

Michael shook her arm "Relena are you ok?" 

She looked at him and smiled "I'm fine."

The woman behind the desk handed Relena her key. Relena thanked her and turned to look over back at the entryway to see if Heero was still there. He of course was gone. 

Heero watched Relena as she turned around and looked around the lobby. After a few seconds she started to walk toward the elevator, the man that was with her wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her against him. Heero read his lips and could barley make out the words that he said to her, but he easily pieced it together. I can't wait to be alone with you. It has been quite along time. Relena smiled and placed a hand on top of his hand that was resting on her hip. Heero could feel his jealously start to enrage. He needed to get out of there and take that walk to calm himself down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After reaching her room Relena placed her suitcase on the bed.  She pulled out the suit that she would be wearing that afternoon at the conference. It luckily didn't get wrinkle. She grabbed a hanger and hung it up and thought about Heero. 'Heero. Why are you here? What are you up to?

Michael was watching her closely he knew that something was on her mind. He walked up behind her and placed his hands on her shoulders and started to rub them. "Relena are you ok? Something seems to be bothering you." 

"It's nothing." She turned and faced him. "I just thought that I saw someone that I knew down in the lobby.

She watched Michael walk over to the bed and close her suitcase. He moved it off of the bead and approached her with a naughty grin on his face.

"Michael we have a meeting in a few hours. We should get there early." When she felt his lips on hers her mind went blank about the meeting and she let him push her gently down on the bead. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heero arrived at the meeting early. He wanted to meet as many of the delegates as possible before the conference got started. In no time he found himself talking to an older gentlemen from the L1 colony. What seemed like minutes he had quite a few people listening to him about the Mars colony and how things operated out there. Many people were wondering how people coped with being so far away from any civilization. It was a good ten hour flight to the nearest colony and help. A few people had asked about the accidents that they have had. Heero explained that no one could take on a project without there being accidents. It was new territory and a completely different environment for that of the Earth or Outer Space. Even when the lunar base was built they had their far share in accidents.

Relena and Michael walked into the conference hall. She looked around and saw a large group of people standing around. Michael was curious so they decided to make their way over to see what was going on. As they walked toward the group Relana got stopped numerous times to shake hands with people along the way. When she was able to excuse herself she walked up to Michael who had been standing listening for sometime now. He looked at her when she approached him.

"There's someone here representing the Mars colony."

Relena's eyes widened. She looked threw the crowd and saw Heero talking to the colony delegates. She watched him closely not believing what she was seeing or hearing. Heero was truly captivating with the speech he was giving the delegates. He looked absolutely stunning in the suit that he was wearing. Once he was finished speaking she couldn't help but smile, as he shook hands and thanked the people that stood with him and listened to him.

Heero knew that she was in the room. He had caught a glimpse of her through the crowd. After he had shaken hands with the people that were around him, and they left to find their assigned seats or to join another group, Heero saw her standing a few feet away from him smiling with that man standing right beside her. They made their way over to him.

"Hello Heero." Relena smiled as they stood before him.

"Ms. Darlian." he smiled and took her hand in his and kissed it. 

Relena was totally shocked. Never has he called her that, or done anything like that. She must have looked like an idiot standing there staring at him. She pulled her hand back slowly. She could feel herself flush at the thought that Heero just showed affection toward her. She didn't want Michael to think anything of it so she quickly introduced them. "Michael, I would like you to meet Heero Yuy. Heero this is Michael McNeil."

"It's nice to meet you." Michael said while extending his hand 

"Same to you." Heero said in his cold monotone voice as he took his hand and firmly shook it.

"Relena and I have been meaning to get out to Mars to take a look around. After the speech that you gave I think that I would be interested in taking a look. Maybe we can work something out between our two colonies."

Heero looked at him with his expressionless face. "I'm sure that something can be arranged." 

There was a call for the delegates to take their seats. Heero walked away from them without even a goodbye. He made his way over to his seat that was by the gentleman from L1 colony that he talked to earlier. 

Michael looked at Relena. "Interesting."

Relena felt disappointed about they way that Heero left after the way the he greeted her. "He didn't mean to be rude Michael. It's just the way that he is."

"No that's not what I meant. It's clear to me that he didn't like me."

'I know exactly why he doesn't like you.' she thought. She looked at her hand and smiled. 

"Relena lets go and take our seats now." Michael placed a hand on her back waiting for her to move. 

Relena looked over to where Heero was sitting. He was watching her with a cold look on his face. No he wasn't watching her. He was watching Michael. Relena walked over to her seat and sat down.  

Heero instantly didn't like Michael at all. His mind started to wonder to thoughts that this man touched Relena the way that he wanted to touch her. This man was able to sleep with her at night and be alone with her. This man did things with her that Heero wanted to do. And what Heero wanted to do at that moment was to rip that man apart.

Relena watched Heero from across the room she knew that he was lost in thought. His face went blank and his eyes were filled with anger and he was staring over where Michael was sitting. She knew what he must have been thinking. She needed to talk to him. They never really got a chance to talk things out a year ago. She just let him go because it was what he wanted. The fist two weeks that he was gone she wanted to contact him. To see if he would be willing to come back to the Earth and talk to her, but her better judgment told her to just let him be. By the third week after he left, and the same week that Duo left, she met Michael. They had gone out on two dates but didn't start to officially date until a month later. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heero sat throughout the conference watching Relena. Only taking his eyes off of her to glace once and a while at Michael. There was a few times that Heero and Relena made eye contact but she always looked away. About two hours into the conference a half hour break was called and the delegates mingled amongst each other.  

Heero walked out into the hallway and leaned on one of the pillars that decorated the hall. He looked out a large window nearby. He sighed and crossed his arms. He so badly wanted to go home and get his hand dirty with some real work. And not having the lingering presence of Chris nearby actually made him lonely. It was a feeling that he was still trying to get use to. 

Relena wandered the room. She had managed to slip away from Michael and she wanted to find Heero to ask him how things were going between her brother and him. He wasnít anywhere in the conference hall so she headed toward the hallway thinking that maybe he needed some space. She looked down the hallway and saw him leaning up against one of the pillars staring out the window. She walked down the hall toward him. . 

Heero turned around to see Relena approaching him. He watched her carefully taking in the sight of her as though it was the first time that he had ever seen her. She seemed to sway her hips a little more than usual, which made Heero smirk. He knew that she was trying to get some sort of action out of him and if she kept that up she would get the reaction that she was looking for. She stopped a few feet away from him. 

"Hello Heero."

He gave her a half smile. "Hello Relena."

"So what do you think about what I do all the time?"

Heero looked back out the window. "I don't know how you can do it."

She looked out the window to see if she could get a view of what he might be staring at. "So how are things going between you and Millardo?"

"He hasn't kicked me out yet. I guess that's a good sign that things are ok."

Relena stepped closer to him so she was standing right beside him. "That's good to know. I was fearful that the two of you would be plotting to kill one another by the end of the first week together."

He laughed quietly. "It came close to that once. But Noin threatened to throw him out to live in the workers camp. She made him apologize to me."

Relena broke out laughing. "I can just picture that."

He loved the way that her laughter filled the hallway. He had missed they way that her voice sounded. "The worse part is it wasn't even Zechs fault. I'm the one that started the whole thing."

Relena placed a hand over her mouth. "No you didn't."

Heero nodded and Relena broke out laughing all over again. Then silence filled the hallway and both of them stood with their arms crossed staring out the window.

Heero turned to face her. "Relena, I have to tell you something."

Relena looked at Heero. She had never seen that look on his face before. And his eyes seemed to be smiling at her wanting to open up his soul to her. She knew that whatever he had to say was very important.

Heero took her hand in his and looked at them. "Relena I don't know how to say this. I have been trying to figure out how to tell you for some time now and I don't know if it is the right time to tell you, or if I should even tell you since you are engaged. But if I don't say anything to you at all then I will never know if there could have been anything between us."

Relena could feel her heart start to race. She started to feel faint and she could feel herself start to tremble. 'Oh my god he's going to say it.'

Heero looked at her in the eyes and took a deep breath then smiled. "Relena, I...." 

"Relena!" A loud voice carried down the hallway.

Both Heero and Relena turned to see Michael making his way toward them. 

Heero let go of her hands and glared at him. 

Relena took a step back from Heero and glanced at both men. 

Michael walked up to them. He nodded at Heero and turned his attention to Relena. "Relena I have been looking all over for you."

Heero watched them for a few seconds. The second that that man got within arms reach of her he wrapped an arm around her waist. Heero had enough of the scene in front of him so he left.

Relena could see Heero starting to walk away from them. "Heero!" He kept walking without looking back at them and he entered the conference hall.

Michael could tell that he had interrupted something private between the two of them and he didn't like it one bit. "Relena what was going on out here?"

She could feel tears starting to build up in her eyes. She has waited so long to hear those three words from Heero, and he now finally wanted to tell her when she was supposed to marry another man. She was angry with Heero for waiting until now to let her know how he felt for her. And she was angry with Michael for interrupting them before Heero got to tell her. She never even answered Michaels question. She pushed away from him and walked back into the conference hall to sit in her chair.

Heero watched Relena enter the room alone. She looked very upset and she never looked at him. A few minutes later Michael walked in. He looked over at Relena then he looked over at Heero. Heero watched him walk to his seat. The conference started again a short time later. Heero couldn't take his eyes off of Relena. He came so damn close to telling her how he felt. He was ready to completely open his heart up to her like he was willing to do that night before he found Duo and Relena together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the first conference was over Heero took off. He decided to take the long walk back to the Hotel instead of taking one of the offered rides. He needed to be completely alone to think about what his actions were going to be. The next meeting was going to be the day after tomorrow so he had a whole day that he could possibly get Relena alone with him. He needed to know what her feelings were for Michael before he took the next step. 

He reached the hotel well after dark. He walked up to the front desk to see if maybe Relena may have left a message for him. He did get one but not from her. Heero read the note.

 

Heero

I found out where you were staying at from Noin. I really could use your help with something. Contact me when you get the chance.

Duo

 

Heero headed to the elevator. He was tired. All of that talking drove him nuts.  His hand and mouth hurt from shaking hands and smiling to much. He couldn't wait to take his shower and to finally get some sleep. He would contact Duo in the morning to see what his problem was. Then he was going to track Relena down and get a couple of hours alone with her. If he needed to kidnap her then so be it he would. He was going to do everything within his power to make sure that Michael didn't find them until he could say what he wanted to say.