A Night's Embrace: Mars Chapter 3

 

The next morning Heero woke up when the sun was starting to rise. He got up and got dressed for the day deciding to wear a pair of loose fitting jeans,  a white shirt with a unbuttoned light blue shirt over it. He glanced over at his computer and thought about the message he got from Duo yesterday. Heero grabbed his laptop and dialed Duo's number, a few seconds later Duo appeared on the screen.

Duo smiled "Heero thanks for calling. I was starting to wonder if you even would."

"What did you want Duo?"

"I wanted to let you know that I have a flight in an hour from now. I was wanting to know if I could stop by and see you."

Heero stared at Duo.

Duo threw his hands up. "Oh come-on Heero. We haven't seen each other in over a year now. I have something that I want to ask you."

"Why not ask me now?"

Duo leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms. "Because I want to ask you in person."

They both were silent for a few moments then Heero spoke up. "What time does your flight come it?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Relena pulled the covers up to her chin as she felt Michael roll over. She quickly moved to lie on her side of the bed well enough away from him.  She looked at the colorful rays of sunlight that were peaking threw the curtains. She glanced over at the clock it was well after seven and Michael was still asleep. He would probably be that way for another hour. They had stayed up late last night having an argument. Michael wanted to know what was going on between Heero and her. And Relena had kept telling him that nothing was going on and they were just friends. Michael didn't believe her because of the way that they were staring at each other in the hallway, and by the way that they both reacted when he approached them. 

After she climbed into bed that night Michael had just fallen asleep without saying goodnight or a kiss. She laid there thinking about how much she loved Michael. How he was always there when she needed someone. How he treated her like she was the most important thing in his life. He was a gentle and caring man and she had hurt him. And she would continue to hurt him if she couldn't let go of her feelings for Heero. And letting go of those feelings was what would hurt her the most. 

She took one last look over at Michael before climbing out of bed to get dressed. She had to find Heero.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heero had found a bench in the shade under a large willow tree unoccupied at the park He came hear hoping to waste sometime before Duo's flight got there in an hour. He was very curious as to what he wanted.  He sat down, crossed his legs, and watched a couple walk by holding hands. They were completely oblivious to the world around them. Heero crossed his arms and closed his eyes. He wanted to clear his mind and not think about anything, just to concentrate on the sounds around him.

"Heero."

Heero's eyes snapped open. "Relena."

Relena smiled. "I hope that I'm not disturbing you. May I sit with you for awhile?"

Heero nodded and moved over so she could sit beside him. They both sat in silence for a few minutes. "How did you find me?"

Relena looked at her hands. She was too nervous to look at him. "I sat down in the lobby waiting for you, hoping that you would walk by. Then I followed you." She looked over at him to see that he had closed his eyes once again and looked lost in concentration. "Heero?"

"Shhhhhh," He had moved his index finger to her lips without even looking at her.  "Just sit here with me." 

She took his hand and squeezed it. "Heero I can't, I really need to talk to you." 

He opened his eyes and looked at her, giving her his attention.

She could feel her eyes starting to tear. She couldn't cry not in front of him. She had to make him believe that she was serious. "Why now Heero?"

"What?" he was a little confused.

"Why do you come to me now when I am supposed to marry another man?" Heero just stared at her. She looked down at the ground. She had to do this. "What do you expect of me Heero?" She looked back over at Heero to see that he was also staring at the ground. "Why do you always expect me to wait for you?" 

She could feel her heart start to shatter. She felt like she was going to be sick. She didn't want to lead either man on. She couldn't be with Heero, even though her feelings for him were burning throughout her body like it was what kept her alive. She reached out and placed a hand on his cheek. "There is no chance for us Heero.  I'm marring Michael because I love him. You are a dear friend to me."

Heero snapped his hand out of hers and stood up. "If you will excuse me I have to be going. I have somewhere I have to be." He tried his best not to have a harsh tone with her, but he saw her hurt reaction. He took a few steps then stopped without looking at her he said. "I understand. And I'm sorry."  He walked away without looking back. He couldn't look back he knew she was crying. She didn't want to say any of that to him, but he understood why she did.

As soon as he started to walk away she let the tears fall. "I will always love you no matter who I am with, Heero.,î she whispered. And the memories of the one time that she got to hold him and said those very words made her heart ache. Now he was angry with her and she had provoked it. She shouldn't have pushed him when they were alone together the last time. She should have been straight forward with him about her feelings for Michael, only her heart and soul wanted to hear him say those three words that she had been waiting for him to say forever. Now he would probably never speak to her again. 'How could I have called him a dear friend! Oh Heero I'm so sorry.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heero knew instantly when Duo arrived. He could hear his laughing over the busy shuttle port. Heero shook his head at the sight before him. Duo was walking with a woman both of them were laughing about a joke that Duo just told. 

"Hay Heero!" Duo yelled just as soon has he saw him. He went over to him practically bouncing with every step. As soon as he stood before him Duo reached out and hugged him. Heero instantly froze and Duo immediately let him go. "Uh...sorry."

Heero glared at him. "Flirting with the stewardess Duo."

Duo scratched his head and laughed nervously. "It's not what it seems. You know me always being friendly."

"Let's get you bag and get out of here."

Once they reached the limo that Heero had assigned to him for use throughout the conference, Duo opened up on him for information about Relena.

"So Heero, have you had a chance to talk to Relena?"

Heero was staring out the window to his left with his arms crossed. Duo was sitting at his right. He only nodded at Duo's question.

"And?" Duo was moving his hands in a circular motion wait for Heero to answer. When he didn't Duo let his hands drop to his lap. 'Oh man.' he slowly shook his head. "Do you want to talk about it?" There was still no answer from Heero. Duo smacked his legs. "Well I'm hungry. How about we get some lunch?" Again Heero only nodded at Duo's question. 'Well at least I'm getting somewhere even if it is a slow start.'

After dropping Duo's stuff at the hotel they decided to walk and find a small diner or cafe somewhere where they could talk. 

"Thanks for letting me bunk with you Heero." Duo looked over at Heero, he was watching the ground in front of him with his hands tucked in his jean pockets. 'Still not a damn word out of him. Something is bothering this guy.'

A short while later they found a cafe that wasn't that busy and they sat down at one of the tables outside. Both of them sat in silence while staring at the menu until it was time to order. As soon as Duo's mouth opened, from the time that he placed his order until their food arrived, he did nothing but talk about his life and how his business was doing.

Heero sat his drink down and cut Duo off in the middle of a sentence. "Duo did you just come here to talk? I thought that you had something to ask me?" 

Duo smiled and chuckled. "I guess I have been ranting haven't I? Ok Iíll tell you.  I wanted you to be the first to know that Hilde and I are going to get married."

Heero stared at him then slowly a small smile crossed his face. "Congratulations Duo."

Duo smiled back. "And, I wanted to ask if you would be my best man."

"Me?" Heero was shocked.

"Yes, you. Despite everything that has happened between us youíre still my friend. And I would still trust my life in you hands." Duo took another bite of his food while keeping his eye on Heero. Heero seemed to have fazed out. Duo got a little worried. "Hay Heero." he waved a hand in front of his face. "Heero you ok?"

"Hn." Heero looked at Duo.

"You kind of left reality there for a sec." Duo watched as Heero's attention wasn't on him again. He was staring past Duo. Duo turned around to see what had got his attention. After scanning the crowd of people walking around them he saw what was on Heeros's mind. Across the street stood Relena and not very far was a man that he assumed was Michael.

"Ahhh I see. So that's him huh?"  Duo looked back to see that Heero's stare grew intent. "Heero, you don't mind if I make my way over and meet the competition do you?"

Heero looked at him and shrugged. "Do what ever you want."

Duo pointed at him. "Don't take off on me now." He got up and made his way over to Relena.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Relena!"

Relena had stopped when she herd her name yelled out. She knew that voice. But it couldn't be him. She glanced back at the direction that the voice came from and her eyes confirmed what her ears herd.

Duo reached her with a huge smile plastered on his face. As soon as he got close enough he took her in his arms and hugged her. Relena never believed that she would be so happy to see Duo again. "Duo what are you doing here?" she asked when he pulled back from her embrace.

"I came to see you." He glanced over at Michael and smiled. "Hello, you must be Michael McNeil. I'm Duo Maxwell a good friend of Relena's" Duo reached out to shake hands with Michael who took it and shook it firmly. "Iíve herd a lot about you from Relena."

Michael gave her a questionable look and Relena smiled at him and took his hand in her own. 

"So, you came to see me? What have you been doing, running all over the city looking for me?" Relena snickered.

"No I just happen to be sitting over there (he pointed at the cafe) eating lunch when you happen to walk by." Duo's gaze fell on the table where he had been sitting, which was now empty. "Damnit, I told him not to move." He hadn't noticed that he spoke out loud. 

"You asked who not to move?" Relena asked while looking over where Duo was staring.

Duo crossed his arms. He could feel himself get a little angry with Heero for leaving. "That guy is still so unpredictable even after all these years. But you can always rely on Heero to drive you nuts."

She was a little shocked, but happy that they were talking. "Have you and Heero have been able to talk things out?" She felt Michaels hand twitch when she said Heeroís name.

"Yah things are a lot better between us now. At least I hope. I don't think that he's mad at me anymore, otherwise he never would have agreed to me coming here and staying with him." Duo glanced around the crowd. "Relena I would love to stay and chat but I need to track Heero down. He has the only key to the room and knowing him he would get a kick out of leaving me locked out all night."

Relena tried her best not to laugh she smiled and nodded her head. "Call me sometime."

"I will I have something to discuss with you anyway. It was nice meeting you Michael. Maybe we can all get together some time and talk. Bye Relena." Duo walked back over to the cafe.

"Another one of you former Gundam pilot friends I assume?"  Michael stared at Duo as he left.

Relena looked up at him. "Former? All of the Gundam pilots are my friends even to this day Michael." she snapped at him and started to walk away 'All except maybe Heero now. I can't believe that I said that stuff to him.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Duo checked on their bill when he got back to the cafe. Heero had paid it before he took off. Duo decided to head back to the hotel. Heero had to show up there sometime, if he wasn't already there. He hadn't gotten very far from the cafe when he heard his name called out.

Duo spun around to see Heero leaning up against a building watching him. "Heero, I thought that you went back to the hotel."

Heero walked toward Duo and kept going past him. He threw a glance back to see if Duo was coming. 

Duo caught up with Heero and shook his head.  "I see why you don't like that guy." 

Heero smirked. "I never said that I didn't like him."

"Oh come on Heero I know you better than that. I saw the way that you were staring at him. You were practically ready to pounce on him and rip him apart."

Both of them walked the rest of the way to the hotel in silence. Duo waited as Heero went to the front desk to see if he had any messages. Heero tucked a piece of paper in his pocket and walked over to Duo. 

As they got on the elevator Heero finally spoke again. "So what did you think of him?"

"Who?"

Heero looked over at Duo to see that he was quietly laughing. "You haven't changed at all Duo."

Duo smiled. "Well I like that way that I am. You on the other hand have changed a lot. And I like this Heero. You just need to talk a little more. At least to your friends."

Once they reached the room Heero let them in. He plopped down on one of the two beds in the room. Duo sat on the other. The room was silent for a long time before Heero spoke up.

"She doesn't want me around her." Heero said as he stared at the ceiling.

"Is she mad at you about something?" Duo watched Heero shake his head.

"It's because of him. Damnit Duo I was so close to telling her. So close and he interrupted us. This morning she told me that there couldn't possibly be a chance for us because she loved him. I respect her decision. It's just that...." Heero got silent.

"You can't stand the guy." Duo finished the sentence for him.

Heero looked over at Duo. "I guess you just got to know when to let go. And it's time that I let her go. She's happy that's what counts."

Duo smiled. "She is happy. I know that from the few conversations that I have had with her over the past year. I have no right to judge Michael. I don't even know the guy. But as long as he makes her happy then I have no hard feelings for the man."

"You still want me to be to be you best man? "Heero looked back up at the ceiling. 

"You're the only man that I would want to stand beside me. We've been through a lot together."

 Heero looked over at Duo. "Ok I'll do it but only on one condition." Duo looked at him stunned. "Tell me about how you and Hilde got back together."

Duo smiled and started from the fist day that he stood outside the office.