A Night's Embrace: Mars Chapter 7

 

The rest of the next day flew by quickly for Relena. She was starting to get nervous. It would be the first time that she would be on a date with Heero. She would have him to herself for the evening. She looked at herself in the mirror and nodded in approval of the long white gown that she was wearing. She was ready.

She walked out to the living room where everyone was waiting. She smiled at everyone and looked at Heero who gave her a smile that no one else saw. Heero held his arm out for her to take it. She placed her hand on it and smiled at him. She looked over to see Duo give her a nod of approval. Even her brother looked surprisingly pleased at the couple. Noin offered her a warm smile. 

The ball was held in one of the large domes on the surface. Inside was a large garden filled with exotic flowers, trees, and plants of many different species. Relena smiled as she looked over at Heero to see that he was watching her. Once they reached their table Heero pulled her chair out for her to sit. She was shocked by his actions. Once he sat down beside her she took a good look at him. She couldn't believe how good he looked in the tux that he was wearing. 

Heero leaned forward and whispered into her ear. "You look very lovely tonight Relena." 

She smiled at him. "Thank you." She blushed "So do you."  She whispered back.

There faces were mere inches from each other. Heero was slowly closing the gap when he stopped and looked over to his left to see Duo's face in his. 

"Don't stop because of me." Duo smiled at them. Relena sent him a glare that made him want to run for his life. "Sorry." Duo went and sat down in his seat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The opening of the colony started with an official ceremony. Then the ball started. The evening had been like a dream to Relena. Heero was charming. She never thought that she would ever see that side of him. It was like the year that he spent here on this planet had changed him. They had danced a few dances, Heero even let Duo steal her for a dance. She wanted to pinch herself to make sure that she was really awake and it wasn't all a dream.

"Duo."

"Yes." He smiled at the content look on her face.

"Wake me up. This has to be a dream. I can't believe that Heero has changed so much. He has had a smile on his face all night. He's hasn't once look as though he's bored." Duo chuckled. "Look at him Duo, he's even making conversation with some of the visiting delegates from the other colonies."

Duo glanced over at Heero as her spun Relena on the dance floor. "He's enjoying himself for once. I'm happy to know that he finally knows what he wants." Duo looked in her eyes. "You're not thinking about not giving it a chance are you?"

"I haven't tried to give it to much thought. I didn't want to get my hopes only to have him crush them again." She smiled at him as the dance stopped. 

Duo led her toward Heero who was busy talking to someone. He had a worried look on his face as they approached them. 

"Relena I'm sorry I have to go. I hope that we can have the last dance together later." Heero could see the slightly hurt look on her face. "Duo could you stay with Relena and get her home safe after the dance if I'm not back?" 

"Sure no problem." 

"Heero what's wrong?" Relena was starting to worry she could tell that Heero was upset. 

"I'm sorry Relena. I'll tell you later. Enjoy the dance." He gave Duo a *take care of her or else look* then he left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heero made it to the hospital as fast as he could. He found the doctor that had called on him. 

"What's going on?" 

"Ah, Mr. Yuy you're here. Mr. Laden has listed you as his next of kin."

"He what?" Heero practically yelled. 

"Mr. Laden has run into some serious complications and we need your permission to operate on him." the doctor pointed out.

Heero looked over toward Chris's room. "What are the complications?"

"He has some internal bleeding that was spotted on the recent scan that we did of his abdomen. We're not sure what's wrong and would like to do exploratory surgery."

"Then do it." Heero snapped at him. "What the hell are you waiting for?"

"We needed to get permission because the surgery may result in death. The odds are greatly against him." the doctor tried to reason.

"He will die if you don't, so get you ass in that operating room and do it.! You don't want to get on my bad side." Heero could feel his anger start to push him over the limits that he set up for himself over the past year. He was about to punch the man if he didn't move.

"Fine we'll get him in right away." He stopped a nurse in the hallway. "Have Mr. Yuy sign the paperwork that we need and call operating room one and have them set up for surgery."

"Yes sir." she nodded at the doctor as he walked away. "Mr. Yuy, I'll be right back."

Heero glared at her and she took off down the hall. He sat down in a chair not far from Chris's room. After loosing his bowtie, he placed his elbows on his knees. He took a deep breath then rested his head on his hands running his fingers through his hair. A few minutes later the nurse appeared and handed Heero the paper work. He filled it out and handed it back. 

"How long is it going to take?"

"An hour or two at the most." she tried to offer him a smile, but got the feeling that he wanted to be left alone so she left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Relena was trying her best to enjoy the dance, but her eyes kept roaming the room hoping that Heero would show up soon. Duo had found himself busy talking to colony delegate of L2 so Relena decided to walk around and to look at some of the flowers. She had passed by a group of people talking. Their conversation had stopped her in her tracks.

"Did you hear about Chris?" one man asked.

"No it's not serious is it?"

" Yes, he took a turn for the worse. They had to perform surgery on him, he still may not pull through. I also herd that he gave them Heero's name for his next of kin."

"You kidding?'

Relena took off to head toward her brothers hoping that Heero was there. He may need someone to talk to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zechs and Noin had received word about Chris's surgery a short time after it was completed. Zechs looked around the dace floor and didn't see Heero or Relena. He spotted Duo not far away and walked over to him. 

"Maxwell, where is Heero and Relena?"

"Heero took off a couple of hours ago. Relena's here with me." 

"Then where is she?î  Zechs hissed at him.

Duo glanced around the room without seeing Relena. "She was here not long ago. She must be walking around."

"You better find her." Zechs grabbed Duo's tux then pushed him.

Duo took off looking for her. After an hour of searching he couldn't find her and he went back to Zechs to let him know. 

"Zechs!" Noin grabbed his arm stopping him from hitting Duo. "She has got to around here somewhere. She could be walking around the gardens. Let's look there first before we take any further steps."

"Fine." They walked away from Duo, but not without him getting a death glare from Zechs. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Relena walked into her brothers place and stood in the entryway. She could hear the shower going so she knew that Heero was there. Relena walked down the hallway and stopped outside the bathroom and leaned against the wall and slid down to sit on the floor. A short time later she heard the water shut off and movement inside. 

Heero stepped out of the shower and grabbed a towel and wrapped it around his waist. He grabbed another and started to dry his hair. He couldn't get what Chris had said to him before. "Don't hide your feelings anymore Heero, it will only continue to give you heartache." Heero placed his hand on the mirror and ran his hand down it to wipe off the moisture and took a look at himself. 'Youíre really pathetic looking. You need sleep.' He thought to himself. He turned and opened the door and started to head toward his room when he heard his name called out. He stopped and looked in the direction it came from. He saw Relena sitting on the floor, her back against the wall looking up at him. 

She could feel her heart start to race. She had watched him for a few seconds before she called out his name. She couldn't take her eyes off of him. They way that his muscles in his back moved, the way that his half wet body made her feel, to the way that the loosely wrapped towel fit around his wait. When she called out to him he turned to look at her. She could feel her cheeks start to turn red as she got a good look at his chest and she stood up quickly and looked down at the floor. "I'm sorry about your friend, and that you had to go through that." 

"Thank you." He couldn't take his eyes off of her. He had seen her reaction when she looked at him. He smirked. 'So you like what you saw.' 

She could tell that he was tired and she was starting to feel uncomfortable under his glance. ''Good night Heero." Relena quickly turned and started to walk away. She had to get away from him. Thoughts of him that would have made a nun blush started to run through her mind and she had to get away. 

That is when she felt him grab her wrist. She turned around to look at him to ask him what he wanted. He suddenly pulled her against him and all rational thought vanished. He held onto her hand and placed it against his chest. She could feel his heart racing. And that is when it happened. Heero lightly brushed his lips against hers. When he pulled away he placed his forehead on hers. He let go of her hand and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close against his body. 

"I love you Relena."

She froze. Those words kept running through her mind. She hadn't taken notice that she had been holding her breath. She looked into his eyes. They were so intense that she thought that she was going to faint. She hugged him closer to her, resting her head on his chest. "I love you too Heero."

After a few short moments he reached up with one hand and placed it gently under her chin and raised her face to look at him. She could see all the years of built up passion and love in his eyes. He then leaned and took her lips again. This time their kiss deepened and became more passionate. She wrapped her arms around his back and started to move her hands exploring his body. She could fell him shudder at her touch. His hands also started to explore her body. They both broke the kiss for air, and held each other.

Heero again herd Chris's words 'Don't hide your feelings anymore.' He then took a deep breath and looked at her. God he wanted her bad. He had always known it. When she looked at him, and smiled, it was a smile that would have melted his heart years ago. He smiled back at her. At that point he wanted to tell her everything that he had kept bottled up inside for years. Her eyes were filled with so much love. Love for him.

Relena reached up and ran her fingers through his hair and slowly traced his jaw line then brushed them lightly against his lips. When she pulled them back she leaned in and kissed him, letting him deepen the kiss. She wanted him to touch her. She felt him press his hips against hers. She could then tell how bad he wanted her and it made her knees weak. When he started to back up toward his room she let him lead her. With each step she felt her heart start to beat faster. Her body stated to tremble.

Once they were outside his door he reached behind him to turn the handle then he kicked it open with his foot. He then broke their kiss. "Are you sure about this?" She nodded her head and pushed him gently into the room while he unzipped her dress and closed the door behind them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that night Heero woke up hearing a commotion going on in the house. He carefully and quickly climbed out of bed, so he wouldn't wake Relena who was peacefully sleeping, and walked over to the dresser to grab something to put on. He got dressed and opened the door closing it behind him and made his way down the hallway. He stopped by the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water and went toward the living area where the voices were coming from. 

Heero leaned on the doorframe while watching the scene before him. Zechs, had a armada of men in the room. He was busy yelling at everyone and frequently throwing death glares at Duo who looked worried about something.

"What's going on?" Heero opened his bottle and took a drink.

Everyone stopped what they were doing to look at him.

Noin spoke first. "Oh, Heero we must have woke you. I'm sorry that we were too loud.î

Heero only shrugged his shoulders and took another drink, his eyes landing on Duo. "What's bothering you?"

Duo nearly jumped at the sound of Heero's voice. He looked at him and took a breath and tried to speak, but Zechs jumped in instead.

"Your little jerk of a friend lost track of Relena and we haven't been able to find her. I swear Maxwell if anything happened to her I'll kill you."

Heero looked from Zechs then to Duo, and then crossed his arms. "You lost Relena?" he said in his cold voice.

'Great now I'm really going to die.' Duo thought as he locked eyes with Heero. "I was busy talking to one of the council members, I never even seen her leave the party."

Heero started to snicker "There's no reason to kill Duo she's safe. You can call off you little search." And he left the room heading back to his bedroom. 

Zechs and Duo jumped out of their chairs and quickly followed Heero 

"Yuy!" Zechs yelled as Heero opened his door and stopped to look back at him. "Where is she?"

"Were you even planning on waking me up to let me know about any of this? Or did you just assume that because Chris may die I wouldn't give a shit about Relena?" Heero glared at Zechs.

"Your right we could have used your help. But you still haven't answered my question Yuy. Were is Relena?" Zechs started to walk toward Heero when Duo reached out and stopped him. 

Duo knew that it was a bad move but he figured out what was going on. "Zechs I think that we should give the two of them some privacy." 

Heero looked at Duo to see him smirking at him. Duo let go of Zechs arm and started to walk away "It's about time." he yelled before he turned the corner and left the other two men alone in the hallway.

Zechs glared at Heero then Duo's words hit him and his eyes grew wide. "Um.... Goodnight Heero." and he left Heero standing in the hall alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heero shrugged his shoulders and walked into his room quietly closing the door behind him.  He tried to quietly make it over to the bed. Setting his water down on the nightstand near by. He started to lie down when Relena spoke.

"Where were you Heero?"

He finished climbing on the bed and moved toward her pulling her into his arms. "I just needed to get a drink."

She sighed and rested her head on his shoulder. "I thought that I herd my bother talking to you."

"You did." He was silent for a moment. "Someone in this room failed to mention that she was leaving the party and coming here."

He felt her tense up. "Oh no they must have been worried sick. I should go and...."

Heero cut her off. "They already know your here."

"Millardo must be furious."

Heero started to chuckle. "He had a full search party here. And he was ready to kill Duo if there would have been any word that you may have been hurt."

She started to get out of the bed when Heero wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her on top of him. "Where do you think you're going?"

"I really should apologize to them." 

"You're going to go out there like that?" Heero ran his hands down her back and placed a kiss on her shoulder.

Relena blushed when she took notice that she still had nothing on. Heero continued his trail of kisses until he reached her ear. "I want you.,î he whispered into her ear. "I'm not through exploring your body."

"Oh really." she said in a teasing voice. "Then why do you still have this on?" she smirked as she pulled on the pair of shorts he put on earlier. 

Heero nibbled on her ear. "We'll just have to take care of that along the way." He then worked his way to her lips and brushed his gently against hers. 

She giggled before they lost themselves in a passionate kiss.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Six months later Heero stood staring at himself in the mirror. He looked at the man sitting in a chair behind him.

"I still don't know why you're doing this so soon. Enjoy life with the woman for awhile." the man said.

Heero shook his head. "No I waited to long to be with her. You're the one that told me not to hide my feelings. So I'm doing just was my heart in telling me to do."

Chris smiled at him. "Ok I'm only making sure that you're going through with it. I don't want to have to hurt you if you change your mind at the last minute."

Heero turned and looked at him. And with a very serious tone he said.  "Maybe I should pass the best man role down to Duo."

Chris's face froze. 

"I'm only joking with you." Heero smirked proud that he finally got one in on Chris.

"Do you what to know the only reason why I don't want you to marry her?" Chris asked. Heero nodded. "You're leaving me and that hell hole behind. Who in the hell am I going to find to pick on now?"

"There is a whole colony of people there, pick one." Heero crossed his arms. "You know that you're welcome to come anytime and visit Chris."

"Like I'm even going to be able to get leave. I'll be the only good worker there from now on. Theyíll never let me step foot off that planet again."

Duo popped his head in the room. "Everyone's ready Heero." He walked over to him and straightened Heero's tux. "There we don't want you looking like a bum."

Chris smirked. "Duo have I told you about Heero and Stacy Courtland."

"Don't go and start that on my wedding day. The two of you will have time later." Heero glared at the both of them. Both of them broke out laughing at him.

"Lets get going. You don't want Relena to think that you're standing her up do you?" Duo joked.

Heero walked out of the room leaving Duo and Chris behind. 

"So who is Stacy Courtland?" Duo asked him.

Chris smiled. "The last and best joke that I played on him involved that girl. She was in on the whole thing from the beginning. I'll tell you about it at the reception." Then they both followed Heero.

Heero watched them come out of the room. Duo was grinning and Chris gave an 'I'm innocent look' to him. Heero smiled at them. He was glad that everything that happened between him, Relena, and Duo turned out for the best. And all three of them were happy. And he was gland that crazy Chris pulled threw his little ordeal. He had Heero worried for a while but soon came to take notice that the guy had a will to live that was stronger than his own. He was finally happy and he was able to share it with the woman that he loved.

End