Disclaimer: I, sadly do not own Gundam Wing or anything thereof *tear*. But that's okay, because I own this story and that sorta counts for me to, in a way "own" Gundam Wing, but then that may only be my wistful thinking *sigh*.

AN: If you read my fic, you have to review it!

WARNING!!!!!! IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!!!!:

IN ORDER FOR ME TO PUT UP THE NEXT CHAPTER,

THEN YOU MUST REVIEW THIS FIC, OR THE NEXT

CHAPTER WILL NOT BE POSTED! BECAUSE IF YOU

DON'T REVIEW THE STORY, THEN THAT MEANS YOU

MUST NOT LIKE IT, SO WHY SHOULD I POST ANY-

MORE OF THIS FIC??? THIS IS NOT A THREAT, BUT

A GUARANTEED PROMISE!!!!!!!!! REVIEW THIS

FIC OR I WILL NOT POST THE NEXT CHAPTER!

~Tenoko~

 

Chapter 3: The Surrender

I cradled her gently in my arms as I spoke to her, even though I knew that she could not hear me because she had fainted in her fear,

"I'm sorry, Princess. I didn't mean to frighten you. I don't know what came over me. I couldn't control myself... if you hadn't have fainted I-" I cut off the sentence, not wanting to think about what I might have done had I not gotten a hold of myself. I hadn't even realized what I was doing!

"Princess, how could I be so selfish and crude? I am so sorry." I walked through the woods, carrying her back to the others, where she belonged... for now...

"Master?" Bearer of Darkness stepped out from behind a tree, he looked at the angel that I held in my arms, and then at me,

"What do you plan to do, Master?" I looked down at the sleeping princess, she was so beautiful! Her features so delicate, strands of gold, silken locks gently kissed her cheeks before they where enveloped in a dancing game with the wind.

"She's so beautiful." I whispered softly as I admired her splendor that even the angels in Heaven could envy. I looked at my knight of the shadows and darkness,

"You are going to take her back to them."

"What do I do if one of them should see me?"

"It does not matter if one of them sees you, but you are not to harm any of them. No matter what, don't do anything that may cause her grief." I ordered sternly, he nodded, taking her from me. He stood there a moment, and I gazed at them, her in his arms, something in me flared in jealousy as to how the picture of them together, for some reason, just looked so right, and yet something about the two of them together... it just felt right. I pressed those feelings and thoughts aside as I watched him turn and walk towards the direction of the cabin, where the others were frantically searching for her...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Relena!" I yelled. We were all anxiously searching and calling for her hoping she would just appear, and she would be safe, but we had been out here for over thirty minutes and still no sign of her. Oh this is all my fault! I should have stayed with her the entire time! If I had then she wouldn't be missing! What have I done to my poor little sister?? Oh Relena, that's twice now that I have let you be taken away from me! I'm so sorry! But I promise I will fight my hardest to protect you from now on... that is... if we can find you.

"Zechs!" I heard Duo scream, Quickly I was over there where he was.

"What is it?"

"Look, she obviously ran through here," he replied pointing to a set of footprints on the ground and broken limbs from off of the bushes, "And, according to these tracks... there was someone chasing after her."

"Where do the tracks lead?"

"Towards the river."

"How old are they and do you think we have a chance of finding her?"

"I-gasp!" Duo and the others were all staring at something or someone hidden in the shadows of the trees. I felt an essence or a presence of someone, someone cold, and empty. Someone who I knew all too well, and I had once been strangely alot alike...

"Heero." His deep blue eyes shone brightly in the dark shadows of the trees. I stepped towards him, a silent challenge for him to step out of the shadows and into the light, he didn't move.

"Where is she?" I demanded through clenched teeth, but still he said and did nothing.

"Where is she? Answer me!" The wind whistled around us, cold, freezing wind that chilled you all the way through, but I didn't blink, I hardly noticed, my eyes were locked on him, I was furious at him, I felt betrayed by him for dying and letting this creep stalk my sister, I was angry with myself for thinking that I could trust him and that maybe he did really love Relena, but that was a mistake that I wouldn't make again, he was the enemy, and I would always treat him as such. We stood there, for how long, I don't know, but finally he slowly, cautiously stepped out of the shadows and into the light, with Relena in his arms...

"Give her back." I growled; the others came closer and trained their guns on him, but it was if he didn't even notice them, his eyes focused on me, he took a step forward and stopped,

"If you want her... take her." he replied, his voice empty, and cold in a tone that was as if he were challenging me. There were but only a few feet between us, we were each silently questioning the other, it was then that I realized what Relena had been saying when she said that it was as if he saw right through her, I knew he could see me, but it was as if he saw right through me, his eyes were completely empty of emotion, feeling, and completely empty of life. Stepping forward I took Relena from him, with a simply question that was more of a demand,

"Why?"

"You tell me." with that he turned and left without a sound, disappearing in the shadows from which he came. I looked down at Relena and back up to where Heero had been standing. Turning I looked at the others who were all giving me questioning looks, shaking my head I replied,

"I don't know, but lets not worry about them, and lets just take care of Relena right now." they all nodded in agreement as we turned and headed to the house. And a lone, dark figure watched them from the shadows, his deep blue eyes observing all that happened with watchful eyes...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Who is this girl? Who is she? There is something about her! Something in her eyes... What is it? What is it about this girl???!!!! Something about that girl, the girl Master called Princess, there was something about her that wouldn't leave me alone. Something about her frightened me, and yet I felt calm whenever I saw her.

What is it about her that won't leave me alone!? Why does she look at me with such sad eyes? What could cause such a look of pain and agony? Why? I just don't understand!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I watched him from my hiding place in the shadows. He had been sitting there for hours, a look of mystification and uncertainty upon his face. He had been like this since the day we went to the cabin, in which they had tried to hide Relena from me. What could have happened that would cause him to act like this? What is it about Relena that seems to upset and confuse him so much? Maybe I shouldn't have let him see her or her him... But still, I can see now that the bond between the two is much stronger that I first thought...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Relena stayed in her room for days. She never made a sound, she refused to eat, and if someone tied to talk to her, she would just sit there, her arms wrapped around her knees, staring off into space, and not answering to anything. Again, I was the one in her room, as I mostly was, I didn't want her out of my sight anymore than was absolutely necessary.

"Relena, why won't you say something to any of us?" I asked, but as I expected, she didn't answer. I had also learned that she wouldn't let you touch her, she would jerk away from you, not letting you near. I let out a sigh, What am I going to do? If she keeps this up, she'll kill herself! What happened to you Relena? What are you so afraid of? I kneeled down in front of her,

"Relena, you can't keep doing this to yourself. Whatever happened, I know we can deal with it. At least talk to me, if not me then someone.." I didn't finish my sentence. I knew she could hear me, though she didn't look at me or say anything, I knew she had, because a single tear fell slowly down her cheek.

"Relena." I got up knowing my efforts were in vain. Walking towards the door I looked back at her,

"You know if you need anything just say something." When she gave no response, I left her room as Duo came in to do his ëwatch' so to speak.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I could still see his eyes, cold and intense, dangerous and deadly, I couldn't seem to get away from them or him. I saw him when I closed my eyes, I saw him in the corner of my eye, I could see him almost everywhere I looked, but then I'd realize that it wasn't really him, and that it was just my imagination playing tricks on me. But still, the memories frightened me. I could hear his voice whispering in my ear, I could feel his hand graze my cheek, I could feel his lips touch mine...

Ever since the day he had chased me through the woods, I had not seen nor heard from Persian Ice or Heero. Not that I expected to hear from Heero, but part of me hoped that I might, and that he would tell me that it was all a horrible dream and that he hadn't betrayed me and that he did remember me, and that he had lo- I stopped the thoughts, Heero didn't remember me, he had betrayed me, and he didn't and probably never had loved me. Why can't I get over him? Why am I so weak that I can't go on without him? Why am I so confused and afraid? I didn't have the answers to any of my questions, and probably never would. I felt so out of place and alone, I felt like a pawn in some cruel man's game, used, manipulated, toyed with, and teased. The others were concerned and worried, but I couldn't talk to them, a part of me wanted to, but when I would try to say something... my brain wouldn't let the thoughts be put into words, and let the words be spoken, so here I sat, pondering to only myself, afraid to close my eyes because I knew I would see his eyes, burning with their cold intensity.

"Princess?" I knew it was him, and not my imagination, but I didn't say anything. He moved closer to my side, a few yards between us,

"Princess?" His voice sounded anxious and concerned, but still I did not answer him or respond in any manner. Duo came and stood between Persian Ice and I, making himself a wall, that the only way to get past him and to me would be if you killed him, and he wasn't going to die easy. "What do you want?"

"Is she alright?"

"That is none of your business, and as you can see your not wanted here so go away." Duo growled. But Persian Ice didn't back off

"I didn't ask for your input! I came to see if she was alright, and if you can't tell me or let me talk to her-"

"If you think I'm going to let you get any closer to her then you are dead wrong! It's my job to protect her from anyone and everyone that does anything to her-"

"Duo." I whispered, they both stared at me in shock, Duo quickly got on his knees in front of me, getting eye level with me.

"Relena?" I blinked and looked in his eyes, I knew he was concerned and even scared for me, but I wasn't going to let anyone else get hurt because of me. Duo and the others meant the world to me, they meant more to me that I did to myself.

"Duo, I'll talk to him."

"No Relena. I'm here to protect you from him or anyone else that might try to hurt you." I shook my head,

"Duo, I'm not going to let anyone else get hurt or killed because of me, because they were trying to protect me. I love you guys, and I'm not going to lose another person that I care about, no matter what it takes."

"Relena..."he whispered, before getting up and stepping a few feet away so that Persian Ice could talk to me. Persian Ice paused a moment before kneeling in front of me. He didn't say anything for a minute, he just looked at me, his eyes seeming to be taking in everything about me, never taking his eyes off of me. Well, if he wasn't going to say anything than I was,

"What did you come here for?" He didn't answer me right away, he glanced at Duo, and then at me,

"I came to say I'm sorry. I didn't mean to; I'm so sorry Princess." he whispered, "I love you Princess, and I-" he shook his head, "I'm so sorry. Are you alright?"

"With what you did? No. Physically? Yes. Other than that? I'm furious!"

"And you have every right to be, and I'd be worried if you weren't. All I ask is that you forgive me."

"Forgive or forget?" I asked accusingly

"Which ever you prefer."

"I am unable to forget, and am lenient to forgive such behavior. How dare you to come here and think that I might forgive you for what you did! You have no respect for anyone! And obviously, you don't care about me or else why did you do what you did to Heero?! You're an evil, wicked, twisted person! And I never want to see you again!! Why won't you just leave me alone?!?" I spat out. He stood to his feet and turned towards the balcony, then looked down at me,

"Can I at least send someone to check on you so that I know that you are okay?" I didn't answer him, I stared furiously at the carpet, fighting the tears that wanted to come, but I refused to cry, especially in front him, he was the last person that I wanted to see me cry. After I knew he was gone, I burst into tears and Duo came over and wrapped his arms around me, letting me cry into his chest. He stroked my hair and I cried until I fell asleep...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I paced the conference room, everyone was sitting at the table and watching me.

"Did any of you know what happened the night at the cabin?" I asked finally,

"No."

"Has she told any of you what happened? Given you any sort of hint as to want might have happened?"

"No." I looked at them. Lady Une, Noin, Trowa, Wufei, Quatre, Duo, Sally, and Treize all watched me. I had asked Treize to help, knowing that we could use all the help that we could get, and he had immediately agreed when I told him of our situation. And I had asked Sally to come knowing that she was a doctor with a degree in psychology, thinking that maybe she could get answers from Relena and get through to Relena where the rest of us couldn't. I ran my hand through my hair with a frustrated sigh, we were getting no where and had no idea what to do. I knew there were things that Relena wasn't telling us, but we couldn't force her to tell us.

"What would Heero do?" I asked suddenly; causing the others to sort of laugh

"But a bullet through this guy's head. End of problem, end of him." Treize replied, the thought made me want to laugh or at least smile,

"Yes, I should have know that, but-"
"We can't kill him, at least, not yet. We need to find out what he did to Heero so that we can reverse it, and change Heero back to normal. Until we find that out, we have to let this Persian Ice guy live."

"Have you been able to find any record of this guy?" They all shook their heads, and Lady Une looked at me,

"Maybe Mariemaia could help us." I gave her a skeptical look,

"Colonel Une... she's eight, how in the world is she going to be able to help us."

"You're forgetting that she is Mr. Treize's daughter. She's very... how would you put it,...resourceful." At this comment Treize began to laugh, causing Lady Une to blush and focus her attention on her hands.

"She does have a point Zechs. Mariemaia has the best hacking skills, even better that our own, she was almost as good at it as Heero. Plus, she still has that... unique... way of thinking that she got from Dekim's brainwashing. She might be a great help to us." Quatre replied slowly, as if trying to make sure that he worded it correctly, again Treize laughed at the remark,

"And if she does actually find something on this guy... we are never going to hear the end of it." Duo sighed putting his chin in his hand. I inwardly smiled, but it didn't last for long, this situation was no smiling matter...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Persian Ice didn't come see me, instead he sent Heero to check on me. I was sitting at my vanity when his reflection appeared in the reflective glass.

"Why does he continue to doing this even though he knows that I want nothing to do with him?" I asked him without turning around,

"I am only following orders." came his monotone reply, I turned around to face him,

"You always were." I sighed. We stared at each other a moment, neither of us saying anything, just watching and wondering,

"May I ask you something?" He finally asked, I nodded,

"Why is it that you talk to me, and yet you refuse to talk to the others?" I forced a smile, even though I wanted to cry.

"I guess habit. I always could talk to you, even if I couldn't talk to the others. Because I always trusted you." I watched him a minute before turning to face my vanity again. But my questions wouldn't leave me alone, I turned around to face him again,

"He-does Persian Ice call you Bearer of Darkness all of the time?" He nodded,

"Can I call you Heero?"

"That's not my name."

"But that's what I'm use to calling you."

"Fine. Do as you wish."

"Heero, have you ever met me before? I mean do you remember me or ever meeting me before?"

"No." I tried to smile, I already knew that he would say that.

"Can you tell me this? What does Persian Ice want with me? And what does he plan to do with the others."

"I am unable to tell you that."

"Oh..." He stared at me a minute, his brows forming a question,

"Why do you ask?"

"Because I want for my family and friends to be able to stop having to worry about me, and the fact that Persian Ice is stalking me. If I knew what he wanted, and what I could do to make him stop, then I will probably do it."

"Why do you care so much?"

"Because I want to protect them. I once lost the person I loved most, I lost him because he had promised to protect me, and that got him hurt and nearly killed so many times, and eventually... it ended up killing him.... I don't want that to happen to anyone else that I love. I'll die first." He didn't respond. I didn't know what he thought about what I'd just said, he was even harder to read now than he had been before he... I brushed the thoughts aside, but I found my gaze falling on the book in which Dr. J had left for me. No! There is no way I could read Heero's journal! /But what if you were given permission??/ That doesn't matter! That is Heero's journal, and I have no right to read it! /If you say so. Even though you are wrong./ I looked at Heero,

"You can tell Persian Ice that I'm fine. And tell him that I want to know what he wants with me and the others." He nodded his response, and without a sound, left the room, jumping from the balcony, and into the black night...

Two weeks had past since I had asked Heero to ask Persian Ice what he wanted with me and the others; he waited three days before sending me the answer, and Heero delivered it to me as I was having a meeting with the others,

"He wants you to come to him. To be with him, and leave the others behind, and be his Princess from now on, in every sense of the word-"

"That's absurd!!!! NO! She is not going to live with him!-" Milliardo exclaimed, Heero looked at him,

"And in return... he will leave the others alone, and no harm will come to any of them."

"No Relena, you can't go with him! That's insane!"

"Relena's not going anywhere! She's staying with us!"

"Relena, we can not allow you to submit to these demands. What about your job as V.F.M.?? What about your job to protect the peace??"

"You are not taking my sister anywhere!!!-" Milliardo stopped when he looked at me, "Relena... you aren't actually thinking about going along with this plan... are you?" Milliardo asked quietly, his eyes showed his fear and disbelieve, I sighed,

"I will need some time to think about this."

"What???!!!!???!"

"Relena, there is nothing to think about! His demands are inconceivable!!! And what guarantee is there of YOUR safety???"

"I am going to make the decision that I think is in the best interest of all of you-"

"Relena, you can't!"

"This is your life! We all promised to protect you with our own lives! We aren't going to fail it by letting you make a decision like that!" I stood up, raising my chin in defiance,

"It is MY decision! And I will do what I think is the best decision! I'm not going to loose the ones I love because I refuse to give up my own freedom!! I lost someone I cared about once, and it was because they wanted to protect me and I'm not going to loose anyone that I care about! I won't make the same mistake twice!! This is my decision, and I will be the one who makes it! End of discussion!!" They were all silent a moment, taken back at my response, but it only lasted for a moment,

"Relena, there is nothing to discuss! You can't go along with his plans! You won't go along with them! I won't let you!" Milliardo exclaimed, I glared at him, not backing down,

"There is nothing to discuss. I will make the decision. And from where I see it, he is being more fair and just than you are. He has given me a choice... you have not. Now, I said it before, and I shall say it again- it is my decision, I will make it, and whether you like the decision that I make, or not, is not my problem and you will just have to learn to cope with it." I stated a matter-of-factly. I knew I had mad Milliardo mad, and a part of me enjoyed know that I had, but I knew that I was making the right decision, by making the decision on my own. I was protecting them, whether they realized it or not...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"What is she thinking?! I just don't understand! Do you really think she will go along with his-" I ranted and raved

"Relena has a strong sense of justice, integrity, and morals. Whatever decision she makes, she makes because she believes it is best, and changing her mind would be impossible!" Noin replied

"She's stubborn, that's what she is!" Noin let out a small chuckle,

"Looks as if it runs in the family; so are you. I think she gets it from you."

"This isn't a laughing matter! My sister is actually having to decide whether or not she wants to be happy and free, or miserable and enslaved!!"

"Zechs, she's been miserable for years. She's been enslaved since the day she was born, and in her eyes, she's lost her main sources of happiness."

"What do you mean by that?!"

"Brought up to be a dignified young woman before she had time to be a child, a slave to this job of maintaining the peace and freedom, when in truth, she has none herself, and she lost her joy because she lost Heero and- well-"

"What??!!?"

"Go look in a mirror! You, yourself aren't free! You're still enslaved by the nightmares of your past, by Zechs Marquise and that hiding mask- no you may not wear it anymore but it might as well be there! When was the last time you smiled? Or do you even remember how?! She fought for Heero and for you; now Heero is gone, and you are incapable of letting the past go and moving on with your life! Your so scared of loosing the things and people that mean the most to you, that you yourself are the one pushing them away!! I don't want to loose Relena anymore than you do, but it is her decision and we can't change it, whatever it might be! Let it go and move on!!" she spat out, I could see the tears building in her eyes, how close she was to breaking down, how hard this all was on her,

"Noin..." I wrapped my arms around her as she began to cry, all her frustration coming out in sparkling drops that ran down her cheeks,

"I'm sorry Noin, I'm so sorry." I whispered over and over as I stroked her hair. This is hard on us all, and I can't even imagine what Relena must be feeling.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was probably, the hardest decision that I would ever have to make in my whole life, and really deep down, I already knew the answer, I just didn't want to have to admit it and go along with it. Sighing, I pulled my brush through my hair for the hundredth time, before setting it down on my vanity, I studied my own reflection. I looked tired, older, fragile. So much different than the confident, dignified political official that I really was.

"I shouldn't have to make these kinds of decisions! I'm not even eighteen! I should be worried about shopping and clothes and dating! Not war, protecting, and acting brave and standing tall in the face of danger and death!" I don't see how anyone could possibly live this way their whole lives! And yet, my best friends have...

"This really isn't fair you know." I replied turning to face my hidden visitor from the shadows, he made a sound that could have been a laugh, but I wasn't sure,

"Define fair." Heero replied stepping out of the shadows, then asked, "How did you know I was here?"

"I almost always did know when you were near me."

"Have you made a decision?"

"Yes, but I will announce it to the others... in the morning."

"You are procrastinating."

"I am not! It's late and I don't want to have to wake the others to tell them my decision; that would be incredibly rude and inconsiderate. And besides I, myself, could use a good night's rest. And I think I at least deserve that much after all that I have had to go through! Now if the two of you can't be patient enough to wait until in the morning-" He nodded,

"Alright then, you can announce your decision in the morning."

"Thank you very much, I knew you'd see it my way."

"That's because I've been told to."

"Hm." And as always, following orders and not caring about the ones that love you most. A soldier through and through...

~*Next Morning*~

"What are they doing here?! I thought you told them to leave you alone Relena!" Duo exclaimed, when he walked into the conference room and saw Persian Ice and Heero leaning against the wall. Milliardo, glared at them, a low growl in his throat, but he didn't say anything, as he and the others took their seats at the long table to await the reason of which they had been called to this meeting. I sighed, this was it, either decision would change my life forever, and once I made the decision, there was no turning back. I looked at all of them, they were all completely focused on me, the world outside could have been under attack and they probably wouldn't even notice. I looked at Milliardo, he watched me intently, I could see he was afraid of what my answer might be, if I chose to stay, he was worried about my safety, and if I chose to go, he would be worried sick about my safety, Milliardo, you worry too much! I can take care of myself, no matter if I'm with you and the others, or whether I'm somewhere else far away. I can take care of myself.

"As you all know, I have been given a- er, proposition, of which to stay with you and have Persian Ice... pursue me, whether or not we would like him to, or I can leave my position as Vice Foreign Minister, and go and live with Persian Ice, and in return he would leave all of you alone bringing no harm to any of you or anyone else. And I called this meeting to present you with my decision," I paused to look at them, I could tell they were all practically holding their breath and on the edge of their seats, each pleading that I stay, Persian Ice's eyes pleaded with me that I go; I took a deep breath and looked at my hands,

"And, I have decided that it is in the best interest of everyone here and those of the earth and colonies, that I go with Persian Ice..."

~*To be continued*~

AN: Now review this fic, or you don't get the next chapter!! This is a promise! I want reviews!! You want the next chapter! Review this fic, and I want alot of reviews, and I'll give ya'll the next chapter. (and let me tell ya, it's going to be good!) I have given YOU the choice, and now it is up to you to decide. ~*Tenoko*~ P.S I am in search of a Beta Reader, if anyone would be interested. Please email me. Thank you!