Pain, Sorrow, and Happiness

Chapter 1

 

She could still hear the sound. The loud crushing noise of metal bending beyond recognition and glass breaking, the screeching sounds then nothing but silence.

Relena opened her eyes and blinked at the brightness of the room. She reached up to rub her eyes and felt a tug at her hand. She glanced down to see that she had an IV attached to her left hand. 

"Wha...what."

"Relena." She looked over to her right and seen her brother approaching her. He placed his hands gently on her face. "Thank God you're awake."

"Where am I?"

"You're in the hospital." He pulled a chair next to her bed and sat down holding her hand.

"What? Why? What happened?"

"You were in a car accident Relena."

"What." She suddenly found it hard to swallow as his words sank in. Her hand quickly flew to her stomach. "My baby."

"Is going to be ok." He smiled resting his hand on top of hers.

Suddenly her eyes went wide. "Heero, where's Heero?"

His face was blank and he took a deep breath.

"Why aren't you answering me? Where's Heero Millardo? Where is he?"

Millardo took both of her hands in his to calm her down. "Relena calm down." 

Her eyes started to tear up. She could tell by the way that he was stalling that there was something wrong. Something was wrong with Heero. "Please Millardo." She whispered.

"He's in the ICU. His injuries are serious Relena. They are still running some tests on him." He grew silent once again. "They don't think that he'll pull through."

"No that's impossible!" She was starting to get hysterical. The tears spilled over and slid down her cheeks. "Heero can't die. You're lying to me. He's fine! You probably chased him off again!"

"Relena please calm down, it's not good for the baby." 

She pulled her hands away from his. "Don't you get started on what's good for me and my baby!"

There was a knock on the doorway and they both looked over to see a doctor approaching them. "It's good to see you awake Mrs. Yuy. You had us worried for a little while." He pulled out a small light. "I'm going to check you're reflexes." He quickly looked her over and had her lay back so he could check on her uterus. After he was finished he smiled. "You're both going to be fine." He looked at Millardo. "Mr. Peacecraft can I have a word with you."

"If its about Heero you better speak to me. I'm his wife. I'm the one that would make a decision not my brother."

The doctor stared at her then looked over at Millardo, who nodded in agreement.

"Let me catch you up to date. After your husband arrived we feared head trauma, we quickly performed a cat scan of his head and our fears were proven. He had severe swelling of the brain. We operated on him to relieve the swelling. So far that has worked. The swelling has gone down slightly, but not enough for us to feel that he's going to get any better than his current state. We just got done running some tests and checked his reflexes. He didn't respond to anything. We had a neurologist look him over." The man was silent for a few moments. "The neurologist has declared that his brain stem isn't functioning. He's declared stem death. I'm sorry."

"Oh God." Millardo looked down at the floor.

"What does that mean?" Relena looked at the Dr.

"Can I talk to her alone?" Millardo asked the Dr.

"Of course. If you have any questions later I'll try my best to help." He turned and left the room closing the door behind him.

Relena looked over at Millardo to see that he had his eyes closed and he was taking deep breaths. "What did he mean?" Her heart was starting to race. He looked up at her and the slightest trace of tears was in his eyes.

"I don't know how to tell you this. When a person looses function to the brain stem the flow of blood to the brain is cut off."

"What?"

"It means that he's brain dead Relena."

"Brain dead...no...no...he can't be!"  She broke down into crying.

Millardo stood up and pulled her into his arms. "It's going to be ok Relena."

"No. It's never going to be ok." Her voice was muffled from her sobbing.

"You still have his child growing inside you." Millardo pulled her back to look at her face. He smiled and moved some loose hair out of her face placing it behind her ear. He placed a gentle hand on her stomach and she let out a chocking sob.

"I want to see him." 

"Ok, I'll talk to the doctor. You need to stay strong Relena, for you and for your baby. Heero would have wanted that." He continued to hold her until her tears subsided and she fell asleep. He laid her back on the bed and covered her up placing a kiss on her forehead. "I'll help you get through this Relena."

He then walked out of the room and down the hallway to the elevators and got on to go to the next floor up where the ICU unit was. Once reaching the floor he walked over to the reception desk and asked to speak to Heero's doctor. He waited a short time before the man came. He demanded to see him and the doctor took him to the room. 

Millardo paused at the door. He couldn't believe that just three years ago Heero and Relena had been in a plane crash and survived. And four years before that he had survived the self-detonation of his Gundam. It was pathetic that a car wreck would take his life. He was hooked up to so many machines that it was a miracle to even find him in the room.

"He's not breathing on his own anymore." The Dr. walked into the room followed by Millardo. "We've done everything that we can for him."

"My sister would like to see him before...."

"I understand. Do you know if he wanted to donate his organs?"

Millardo shook his head. "I can't answer that."  He couldn't take his eyes off of the young man before him. "He's been through so much. So many things could have killed him when he was just a boy. I find it still hard to believe that this is what took him."

"The police report stated that he wasn't wearing his seat belt. That would have helped."

Millardo looked over at the man. A brief moment of anger flashed through his eyes. But there was no reason to be mad, the man was right. "Draw up the paper work. I'll talk her into the right thing to do."

The Dr. nodded and left the room. Millardo walked over the side of the bed and sighed. "Despite everything that we have been through, I will miss you. You took good care of my sister. You made her happy. You gave her a home, a family, love." He took a deep breath. "I will make sure that your child will never see a war. For you and for Relena."