Pain, Sorrow, and Happiness Chapter 2

 

She felt two strong arms pick her up and carry her, the sound of a racing heartbeat thumped in her ear as she was carried a short distance and gently placed back down.

 

Relena quickly look around her to see that she was being pushed down a hallway in a wheelchair. She looked behind her to see Millardo. He gave her a warm smile. She looked back in front to see them come to a stop outside a room.

"Are you sure about this Relena?"

"Yes." She only managed a whisper. She was dreading being pushed into that room, and to see him in that condition. Especially since this would be the last time that she would see him.

Relena had held the gasp that wanted to escape her lips when she was wheeled into the room. The sound of the machines that was keeping him alive, or was he dead, was the only sound in the room She was still confused about the whole thing. 

Millardo pulled a chair next to the bed and helped her out of the wheelchair to sit down next to Heero. Once he moved she got a good view of him and immediately felt the tears start to burn her eyes. She never thought that she would ever see Heero in such a condition. She had always expected them to grow old together. 

Relena reached out and took his hand in hers. It was so cold. She could hear Millardo speaking to someone behind her, but her thoughts were only on the man in front of her. He was too young to die. He had finally found happiness and meaning for his life. She felt someone's hand on her shoulder she looked over to see Millardo standing next to her.

"Relena, you need to do the right thing." He handed her a clipboard and a pen. 

She glanced down at the paper and read the words then shook her head. "No I can't. He's going to be ok. He's pulled through worse." 

Millardo took both of her shoulder in his hands and gently shook her. "Relena, don't you get it. Everything that he was, the person that you knew is gone."

"No. He's there Millardo, he's fighting."

Millardo got down in front of her, taking her face in his hands he blocked her view of Heero. "Relena, he's gone. I wish that things were different. The accident wasn't even his fault. And I'm going to make sure that the man that did this to the both of you will pay. But you need to accept that there is nothing that they can do for him. The doctor told me last night that he quit breathing on his own. His heart won't last to much longer. That machine over there is the only reason why his heart is still beating. Please Relena sign the paper." He pushed the clipboard toward her again. "I know that this is hard, but Noin and I will be there for you. We'll help you get through this."

"I...I can't."

Millardo wiped away the first of the tears that started to wet her cheeks. "Relena, signing that paper isn't going to kill him, he's already gone. And I am so sorry. I would fight like you as well if our roles were reversed. But sooner or later his body is going to shut down on its own, with or without you signing that paper." 

Relena couldnít hold back her sobs anymore and Millardo held her in a tight embrace What seemed like a eternity she finally calmed down to just a sniffle or two every so often. With a shaking hand she signed the paper and handed it to Millardo.

"I want to stay here with him."

He kissed her on the forehead. "I'll make sure of it."

She had sat there as they shut off the machines and did what ever else they needed to do. The whole time she held onto his hand until she heard the one sound that she was dreading to hear, the continuous screech of the heart monitor. One of the nurses quickly turned off the machine. She could hear the doctor saying words of support to her, but it was all just a blur. Relena let out a choking sob knowing that he was truly gone now, and never again would she see the smile that he wore only for her, the warm laughter that escaped his lips on rare occasions, and the way that he made her feel when they made love. 

She placed a hand on her stomach promising their child that everything was going to be ok. Then slowly she let herself break down and start morning for the loss of her lover, and the loss of what their child would miss. She knew that Heero would have been an excellent father.

She felt her brotherís arms pick her up and carry her out of the room. "I have arranged for everything to be taken care of. All you need to do now is relax, Noin will be here shortly."

"I forgot about the wedding, I'm sorry."

"Shhhh," He placed a finger on her lips. "No Relena don't be sorry, Noin and I can wait." 

Relena relaxed in his arms and closed her eyes to rest.

 

Relena.....Relena open you eyes.

'That voice.!' She could smell the dampness in the air from the rainfall. A small chill ran through her body from the wet clothes she was wearing. She cracked her eyes open and seen the face of the man she loved looking down at her. His hair was wet and clung to his face from the rain. A warm smile crossed his face. She reached a hand out to touch him. She so badly wanted to touch him. "Heero." she whispered. She followed her hand and as it made contact with his cheek she closed her eyes and smiled.

 

When she reopened them she looked at his face again, only to see that her hand was resting on Millardo's cheek and it was his warm smile that greeted her.