Pain, Sorrow, and Happiness Chapter 5

 

Relena opened her eyes and looked around. She was once again in a hospital. She felt like crying. She hated hospitals. She didn't want to be near one again after what happened. Her eyes rested on her brother and Lucrezia who was asleep on a small couch to her right. She smiled at the sight of them cuddled together on that tiny space. 

She moved her left hand to wipe away her tears and brushed against something. She looked down to see that someone was sitting in a chair next to her with their arms resting on her bed and face tucked in them facing away from her. She reached out to touch the person but froze as he shifted, moving his face toward her.

Relena gasped. "Heero." She reached out and moved his bangs out of his face so she could take a good look at him. The tears quickly formed and spilled as she watched him. How could this be a dream like all of the others when she was able to touch him? It was always him touching her never the other way around. She kept her sobs quiet, not wanting to wake him. She just wanted to watch him. She was in fear that she would wake up soon and find out that this was just a dream. 

She heard the door open and she looked up to see Duo standing in the doorway staring at her. He was about to speak when she placed a finger against her lips. 

Duo got the massage and walked into the room and picked up a chair and carried it quietly over to her bedside and sat down. He reached out and took her other hand in his and smiled. "How are you feeling?" He whispered.

"I think I'm going crazy." She replied back quietly trying to fight the tears that didn't want to stop. She looked back at Heero and wiped the tears from her eyes. "Duo, is Heero really here next to me or am I seeing things?"

Duo chuckled "You're not crazy."

"I have to be, this can't be real. He died from the accident."

"Relena, your not seeing things. Heero's alive and sleeping right there next to you. Do you really think that a car wreck is going to kill him after all of those crazy suicidal things he did a few years back that didn't take his life?" Relena tried to smile. "Touch him."

"I'm afraid if I do he won't really be there." She lifted her left hand but pulled it back.

Duo stood up and took her left hand in his and placed it on Heero's arm. "See he's there, you're not seeing things."

Her hand trembled as she ran it along Heero's arm until she reached his head. She ran her fingers through his hair causing him to stir. She smiled at him as he opened his eyes and looked at her. He quickly got up, knocking over his chair, and placed his hands on the sides of her face. 

"Relena."

The sound of his voice caused her to break down sobbing. It sounded the same as her dreams. It had to be a dream. She felt him kiss her forehead then place his against her so he could look into her eyes.

"I knew you would come back to me."

She knew that she would wake up any minute now and he would be gone so she threw her arms around his neck and held onto him. She so badly wished that she could pull him back into reality with her. It just made her cry harder as she felt the warmth of his breath against her neck and the pounding of his heart against her chest.

"Duo, go get her Doctor."

"Why me?"

"Maxwell, go." Millardo called out. He and Lucrezia were just waking up.

Duo quickly got out of the chair and leaned toward Relena's ear. "He's real, it's all real." He then offered her a smile before he left the room.

Relena watched Duo leave the room then she let go of Heero's neck and took his face in her hands and stared into his eyes. She could clearly see the soul behind the eyes that stared back at her. She felt a hand on her arm and she looked over at Millardo.

Heero glanced up at him too and shot him a look that clearly read 'get the hell out now'. 

Relena could feel the tension between the two of them She didn't care if this was a dream or not she wasn't in the mood to put up with it. She took a hold of Millardo's hand and took Heero's in the other. "No more. I can't take the two of you yelling at one another."

"So you did hear that." Noin spoke up. Relena nodded her head. Noin shot both men a glance that could kill. She wanted to lash out at the two of them but held her tongue, she would have a chance at another time when Relena wasn't around.

Duo came back into the room followed by the Doctor. He stopped by Noin and watched as the Dr. walked over toward Relena. 

"Good you're finally awake. How are you feeling?"

"Tired." Relena continued to hold onto both Millardo's and Heero's hands. 

"I need to examine her. Could all of you please step out of the room for a few minutes?" His eyes were resting on Heero with the last sentence.

Heero was about to protest but stopped when Relena squeezed his hand. "I'll be ok." Heero nodded and walked quietly out of the room followed by everybody else.

"Is all of this real?" Relena asked the Dr.

"Real?" The Dr. looked at her confused.

"I don't know if this is a dream or reality. I was somewhere else, now I'm here. My husband was dead, now he's alive."

The Dr. smiled and sat down in the chair that Duo had once sat on. "There are studies on certain cases in which people dream or set up a reality to protect themselves when they are in a comatose state. You may have been experiencing such a thing. If you wish I could have a counselor come by and you can discuss what you experienced."

She nodded her head. "I would like that." 

"Ok letís finish up with the exam then I'll have someone come down and talk to you."

After the Dr. was finished he left the room and Relena was alone with her thoughts. The barrier between what was real and what was the dream was utter confusion for her. This place seemed to reach out to her more. She had the feeling that she belonged here. And is it was just a dream then she would want to walk in it forever so she could be by Heero's side. 

She took a deep breath as Heero walked back into the room. 'Please let this be real.' She could feel her heart start to race as he approached her. He stopped by her bedside and leaned in and kissed her gently. She closed her eyes and beckoned for him to deepen the kiss only he pulled back and winced in slight pain. "Heero, are you ok."

He had his fingers on his lower lip. She moved his hand and saw that he had a deep cut on the left side that had been stitched up.

"I'm sorry, I didn't see."

"Shhhh, Relena it's ok."

She thought about the one dream where she was being pushed toward the ambulance, Heero was standing not far away and had a trail of blood down the left side of his face. She reached up and moved his bangs out of his face and saw that he had what looked like had been deep gash near the hairline that had been stitched up.

"Duo told me that you said that you believed that I died in that accident." He sat down and placed a hand on her stomach and ran it in small circles.

Relena lowered her eyes. "I'm confused. It was so real."

"Why don't you tell me about it, and well figure it out together." 

Relena looked at him and took a hold of his hands and started from the time that she opened her eyes and saw Millardo by her bedside up until recently. Heero gave her his undivided attention, and once she was finished he was lost in thought.

"Heero?"

He looked at her and stood up and took her right hand in his and placed it against his chest. She could feel his heart beating. "Do I feel dead to you?" He leaned in and kissed her. "Does that not feel real to you?"

Her eyes started to water and she closed them and felt the tears slide down her cheeks. Heero took her face gently in his hands and kissed her tears away. 

"Everything is going to be ok Relena. I love you, and I promise you that I'm not going to leave your side. I'll be here every time that you open your eyes."

She took a deep breath and slowly opened her eyes. She could feel fresh tears start to form because Heero was still there holding her face gently in his hands. "I love you too Heero, and I look forward to that promise."