Pain, Sorrow, and Happiness Epilogue Part 2

 

He must have passed out because he never even herd Lucrezia or Millardo arrive, but he swore that he closed his eyes only for a few seconds.. It was the gentle hand on his shoulder and the kind voice calling his name that woke him up.

He jumped and quickly sat up looking at Lucrezia, who offered him a smile. He glanced at Millardo who already took a seat by Relena's bedside and was holding her other hand.

Lucrezia placed her hand on his arm and gave it a squeeze. "How long have you been here?"

"All day and night for the past two days."

"I'm so sorry that we couldn't get here sooner, we ended up having problems with the plane and drove the rest of the way." 

Heero looked at her with the mention of plane trouble. "That's ok. I'm glad that you got here ok." 

Millardo looked Relena over before speaking. "What's her condition?"

"She's in a coma due to the swelling in the brain. Her doctor said that once the swelling went down she should wake up."

"And the baby?" Lucrezia asked.

"Ok."

Heero looked at the door once it opened to see Duo walking toward them. "Hay Heero, why don't you take this cup of coffee? Looks like you could use it." Duo handed him one of the Styrofoam cups that he held in his hands. Once Heero took it, thanking him Duo handed one to Lucrezia and kept one for him self.

"Why did you come?" Heero directed his question at Duo.

"I was the only one on duty when Zechs called. I'm here for security reasons." He leaned toward Heero and whispered. "And you may need a friend." Duo's eyes drifted toward Zechs then he looked back at Heero and smiled.

Heero nodded and drank his coffee in silence watching the older man that was his brother-in-law. Something was nagging at him that Zechs was thinking about something. He listened to Zechs as the told Relena things about their childhood, things about their mother and father that he thought that she would like to know. 

There was a knock on the door after they were there for almost a half hour and Relena's doctor walked in. As soon as the man seen that there were other people in the room a look of relief crossed his face, and Heero smirked knowing how uncomfortable the man has felt in his presence.

"Mr. Yuy, has she shown any signs of waking up yet?"

"No." Heero could see that the man was looking at the others questionable. "Their family." The Dr. nodded and walked over to Relena's bedside as Heero moved out of his way.

The Dr. looked at the chart before speaking again. "You know there are hospital rules that state that only one person can be in the room at a time, and you know that Mr. Yuy."

"You have no choice." Millardo looked at the man. "She's under Preventer protection."

"Preventer?" The Dr. looked at Duo, who was wearing his uniform. Duo gave him a big grin and the Dr. looked away. "Mr. Yuy can I have a word with you in private?"

"What ever you have to say, say it in front of all of us." Millardo snapped at him.

"Zechs." Heero glared at him. "Stay out of this."

Lucrezia placed a hand on Millardo's arm. "Let's go, I'm sure that Heero will fill us in, why don't we take a look around and see how secure this wing is ok?"

"Fine, but Maxwell stays, he's her guard." The Dr. looked at Duo and Heero. Heero nodded in agreement and Zechs and Lucrezia left the room.

The Dr. cleared his throat then proceeded to talk. "Have you given any more thought as to how long you would like to wait until we put the feeding tube in?" Heero shook his head. "I think that you need to make that decision soon. Pumping her full of saline and other fluids isn't enough for her or the baby."

"I'll get back to you soon on that." Heero looked over at Duo, who was staring intently at Relena.

"Ok, then. Everything else is going good although her condition hasn't changed that much from how she was doing yesterday, it's nothing that I'm worried about. Just get back to me soon on that decision." The Dr. left the now quiet room behind. 

Heero looked at Relena. 'I know that you'll get better on you own. You have to, I don't want to loose either one of you.' Duo's voice soon filled the room.

"It's like a bad dream. To have fate bring you together only to pull you apart later." Duo looked at her pale features and felt his heart tighten for his friend. 

"Hn."

"Come on Heero, Relena's going to be ok. You two were meant to be together. How bad is it really, what have the Doctors told you?"

"The doctor said that she was in a deep sleep."

Duo walked over and stood by Heero's side and elbowed him lightly. "Heero keep talking to her. I herd that it helps."

"I have Duo, I've tried everything that was recommended these past few days."

Duo looked at Heero and shook his head then smacked him lightly on the back. "It looks like you need sleep bud. Why don't you let me sit with her for awhile and you can crash on the couch over there."

"No I need to be here when she wakes." Heero walked back to his chair and sat down.

"Look, you wouldn't be to far from her..." Duo pointed at the small couch that was on the other side of the bed.

"NO! I need to be here where she can see me when she wakes up."

"Geez Heero, I'm just trying to be a friend."

The hospital door opened once again and Millardo walked in. "Maxwell out. I need to talk to Yuy alone."

Duo walked slowly out of the room. He looked back at them before he walked out. "Ok but I'm going to be right outside. If I hear anything that I consider a threat to Relena's recovery then I'm coming back in." He closed the door and leaned against the wall next to the door, hoping to hear what was going on in there.

"I talked to her Doctor." Millardo watched as Heero took Relena's hand gently in his own. "He said that there was something that they could do to relieve the swelling in her brain faster."

"No." Heero glared at Millardo. He knew that he was hitting on some sort of surgery.

"Don't you want her to wake up?" Millardo snapped at him.

"Of course I do. But not by the means that your asking. She'll wake up on her own."

Millardo walked over to the other side of the bed and placed both hands on the bed and leaned toward Heero. "It's a simple surgery to relieve some of the fluid in the brain, it's of no major threat to her life. But the sooner that she wakes up, the better it will be for her."

"They never recommended such a thing to me. So no, I will not consent to have any surgery performed when it's not needed Zechs."

Millardo gripped the sheets. His anger was building. "Damn you Yuy. I think that anything that will help her to recover quicker should be your top priority right now."

Heero stood up to be eye level with Millardo. "My top priority right now is to make sure that Relena and the baby will both be ok. Did you even ask what the threat to the baby would be if such a surgery was performed? I doubt it."

"Don't you force me to have you removed from his hospital Yuy."

"Don't you even think about overstepping my authority. She's my wife."

Both men were ready to smash the others face in when Millardo suddenly turned and left the room. Heero breathed a sigh of relief and sat back down in his chair. He was not looking forward to starting a fight with the older man and was thankful that he left the room.