Pain, Sorrow, and Happiness Epilogue Part 3 

 

Heero watched as the light in the room shift throughout the day. From sunrise to sunset he sat by her side. He was furious at Zechs, there was no telling what that man was up to. He hasn't seen him in a few hours now. Duo was sleeping on the small couch. The sound of his light snoring was the only sound that was competing with the sound of the heart monitor nearby.

Heero got up off of his chair and walked over to the couch and kicked the leg. "Duo get up."

Duo opened one eye and yawed before rubbing his eyes and sitting up. "Is everything ok?"

Heero looked over at Relena. "Yah, but I could use a cup of coffee."

Duo stood up and stretched. "Ok, think I could use one myself. So you wanna come?"

"No." 

Duo smiled and slowly managed to drag himself out of the room.

Heero paced the room near the foot of the bed. He had a decision to make and he knew that he would have to decide soon. It is going on the fourth day now and she hasn't shown any sign of waking up. Sitting by her side day in and day out wasn't doing any good for his health but he didn't care, he wouldn't leave her. He froze in his tracks when the familiar voice of Millardo spoke up.

"Heero."

Heero turned around and returned the glare that Millardo was giving him. "Zechs."

´´´´´´ªªªªªª

Duo was coming back from the cafeteria with two cups of coffee. He smiled at one of the cute nurses that walked past him and turned around to watch her walk down the hallway.. 

"Flirting Duo, what would Hilde say if she seen you?"

Duo turned around to see Lucrezia standing behind him. "Ah hell, as long as I don't touch right?.....err don't tell her that I just said that ok."

Lucrezia smiled and looked at the cups in his hands and got an idea. "Duo has Heero slept at all?"

"Not that I'm aware of, he sure in the hell doesn't look like he has."

"Neither has Zechs. Duo, I have and idea to get those two to get some sleep."

Duo looked down at the two cups and shook his head. "Hell no, I'm not getting involved in that. I don't have a double death wish."

"Make that one angry soon to be wife if you don't." Lucrezia smirked at the shocked look on Duo's face.

"You wouldn't, would you?" Duo couldn't tell by the look on her face so he quietly surrendered and handed Lucrezia the cups. 

´´´´´´ªªªªªª

Millardo walked over toward Relena's bedside, while keeping an eye on Heero. "Any change?" 

"No, where's Ms. Noin?"

"She's getting us a cup of coffee. How are you holding up?" He knew that he shouldn't have asked him that, but he had promised Noin to try to get along with Heero, at least while Relena was in the hospital.

Heero could feel the anger quickly building. His fists where clenched "What do you think!" Heero snapped. "As soon as you got here you have tried to overstep my authority on decisions that involve her." He pointed at Relena.

"She needs the surgery Heero!"

"No she will wake up on her own." 

Millardo clutched the sheets in his hands. "Damn it Yuy, can't you see that you need to do the right thing!"

 

Lucrezia and Duo ran toward the room when they herd Zechs yell loud enough for them to hear half way down the hallway.

"It's not your decision to make." Heero was becoming more and more furious by the second.

Zechs had just about enough and started to head toward Heero to beat some sense into him. 

Lucrezia came barging into the room yelling at the two men stopping them in their tracks. "Heero! Zechs! The two of you shouldn't be doing this here." 

"Stay out of this Noin." Zechs snapped at her. 

Lucrezia was about to speak up when she heard Relena's voice faintly carry across the room.

"Don't fight."

Just two words was enough to make the two hostile men in the room drop their anger and to go rushing to her side. And as quickly as those two words were softly spoken there was silence. Then the sound of Heero's voice filled the room as he talked to Relena, tying to get her to wake back up again. It was when Millardo trying to jump in that Lucrezia decided to stop it before the two men were at each others throats again.

Lucrezia walked over to Millardo and pulled him away from the bedside. "Zechs let Heero talk to her." She took one of the cups of coffee from Duo's hand and handed him a cup. "Here why don't you sit down, maybe she'll wake up again then you can have your chance."

"Yah sit down or I'll have to ask you to leave." Duo spoke up glaring at Millardo. "I am in charge of her security and with the two of you acting like deranged lunatics there is no telling what type of safety risk you are." Duo walked the short distance to Heero. "And here's your damn coffee. Next time you're going to have to go and get it yourself."

Both Duo and Lucrezia watched as the two men drank their coffee. Duo kept thinking about death.... his death when Zechs and Heero found out what they did to them. He raised his eyebrow when he seen Heero yawn about a half hour after he finished his coffee.

Heero looked over at Duo, who was watching him. There was something about the way that Duo was sitting in his chair, like he was ready to jump and run. Looking over at Zechs he seen that the man had his arms crossed and his eyes closed. Lucrezia was pulling out a blanket and setting down on the couch next to Zechs.

Heero placed his arms on the bed and rested his head on them. Watching Relena he wondered why he was so tired all of a sudden. Duo, he did something to the coffee. He was going to kill him, but he found himself to be too tired and soon fell asleep at Relena's side.

After waking up, Duo's death had slipped his mind thanks to Relena being awake. It would be two days later that she was released from the hospital for them to try to get on with their lives. 

 

Six months later

 

"Heero."

The bed shifted with the added weight on it. And he felt a familiar feeling of a hand being run through his hair.

"Heero, you're having that dream again aren't you."

"Hn." He opened his eyes to see Relena hovering not far from him. 

"You were mumbling something about killing Duo."

"I always dream that. Never works, you always wake me." He smirked as Relena smacked him lightly on the arm.

"All you ever dream about is that accident. It happened over six months ago and it still haunts you."

"You were asleep the whole time, you have no idea what type of hell I went through with you brother being there."

Relena smirked and got off of the bed. She walked around the room and put laundry away. She stopped to look at Heero only to see that he had covered his head with the blanket. She walked over to the bed and ripped the blanket off of him. "You're going to be late for work again."

Burring his face in his pillow he groaned. "I don't care. You kept me up all night. I need sleep."

Relena climbed on the bed and ran her hands up his bare back until she came to his shoulders, then she started to massage him. "I'm sorry that we haven't had much time to be together. I'm exhausted after taking care of the baby all day. It seems that the only time that I have to talk to you is at night when the baby is on some sort of sleep schedule."

"You should be sleeping at night then instead of talking to me so you have the energy the next day to keep up with the baby."

Relena laid down next to him and smiled. "You really want attention for yourself don't you?"

Heero smirked and looked at her. "How long was it again before we could...."

"Six weeks." She reached out and played with his hair once again.

"And how long has it been?" He moved on his side and pulled her against him.

"Six weeks." She said as she snuggled up closer.

"When is your appointment anyway?" 

"Later today." 

"Ahh, I see. And do you plan to have the baby on a schedule for tonight? Because I don't want him taking away his mothers time from his father."

Relena giggled as Heero kissed her forehead. "I can only try my best." She looked at him and smiled. They were just about to kiss when the sounds of the baby crying interrupted them. 

Heero placed his chin on Relena's head. "I knew that was going to happen." 

Relena gave him a quick peck on the lips and got off of the bed and started toward the nursery.

"You know it wouldn't hurt to let him cry tonight!" Heero yelled after her.

"You're going to be late for work!" Was the reply that came back.

Heero managed to drag himself out of bed and to get ready for another long day at work. But after tonight all of his patience would finally be rewarded, he hopped. He would have to have a man-to-man talk with his son tonight about giving mommy some quality time with daddy. But he knew that all he would get in reply was a gurgling, drooling response from the brown hair, light blue eyed little boy.

Since he obviously didn't know what it was like to have a normal childhood he set to reading some of the first time parents books that was given to Relena by the hospital. Relena would take the books away as she warned him that the book is good for advice but it wasn't a road map to how things were going to work out, he would have to find that out on his own as they took one day at a time. And he would get the strict warning that if he even pulled out his laptop and set to work on planning their son's life on it 'according to the books' she would kill him.

But there was one more thing that Heero wanted and that was a daughter. And if conceiving another child was anything like the first time it would be awhile before that happened. But he was looking forward to it. And he was looking forward to enjoying a family and having Relena by his side for the rest of his life. And he intended that to be a very long time, with no more accidents to try to take them away from each other.

 

END