Hello Everyone! I hope you're all enjoying the holidays (Christmas is so close!). Here's the next part to the Heero's Peace Sequel. Thanks for all the title suggestions, they were great, but I find that I just can't commit to one. Anyway, they'll be quite a few chapters, and they'll each have a nifty little heading, so... enough of my insipid rambling. Here's the story!

Disclaimer: Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the way! I don't own Gundam Wing so please don't sue me, k? (I know, I know... I'm tired and spaced on cold medicine - what can I say?)

 

Part 2 - Pieces of the Puzzle

Heero picked up his pace as he walked through the halls towards Relena's office. He had to make her understand why he and the others had rebuilt the gundams and made the mobile suits. They hadn't done it to be malicious, or deceitful or to hurt her, or for any other reason like that. Heero knew very well why he had done it. The answer was simple: because he loved her and he always wanted to make sure that she was protected. Too many times in the past they had been caught off guard by those who would threaten the peace that they had fought so hard for, and even more precious than that, the lives of the ones that he and his fellow pilots held dear. They just wouldn't let that happen again. Quatre had sent all the materials from the Winner's resource satellites. Trowa and Duo, along with Heero, had overseen the construction and design while Wufei made sure that no one outside their circle would ever find out about the army amassed in a hanger deep below the Lowen airfield. Perhaps he should have told her about their plans, but he'd had his reasons. She was the world's chief advocate for disarmament, and the knowledge that her own husband held an arsenal that could destroy a colony in seconds would put her in an awkward position. He didn't want to make her give up her integrity and lie to protect him, he could never ask that of her. So he decided that she should not know. After all, it was the fervent hope of all of them that those suits and the gundams would never have to be used.

Heero felt his chest tighten as he approached the door. Confrontations with Relena, though they had been few and far between during their marriage, scared him more than all the battles he had ever fought. Combined. And the look she had given him before she'd left the conference room made him think that she might never forgive him. He slowly turned the doorknob, afraid that he had lost the love and trust of the one person who mattered the most to him. Heero took a breath and readied himself for the possibility of more stinging words and heartbreaking looks. He entered the office and froze with bewildered surprise. The room was empty.

 

"Don't turn around. I told you not to look at me! Just walk!" The mysterious soldier pushed the tip of the gun painfully into Relena's back. He had taken her into the bowels of Lowen palace and was marching her through the ancient dark, slippery tunnels that wove their way beneath the city. It was the only way to get out of the palace unnoticed.

'Whoever this man is,' Relena thought, 'he must be familiar with the city.' She obeyed, but walked slowly, trying not to fall as she slid along the slimy cavern. "Why are you doing this?" she demanded, trying to sound strong and commanding, but all the while realizing that no one would know what happened to her at home. For the first time she thought back to the letter from the Dr. Hale's office. "Ten weeks..." 'I'm pregnant,' she thought, placing a hand protectively on her stomach as she trudged along in the darkness. She and Heero knew that they wanted children, but never when. Her work was so time-consuming, and she didn't think that it was fair to bring a child into the world when she had not time to spend with it. As furious and hurt as she was at what Heero had done, she loved him with all her heart and a tear slipped down her cheek at the thought that he might never see their child - or that she may never see him again. The man who was pointing the gun at her seemed as though he'd have no problem pulling the trigger. If he killed her here Heero may never know what happened to her. She had to get out of this! Relena thought of the baby she was carrying, and came to the realization that she was protecting someone else now, not just herself. She had to try talking to this soldier. "Why have you taken me?" she said, questioning him again.

No response came from the man behind her, but Relena pressed him. Perhaps if she could make this man see the pointlessness of violence, he would forget this mission of his. "I asked you why you're doing this," Relena said sharply. "Don't just kidnap me and not tell me why."

"It's not your place to ask the questions," her captor answered in a low, irritated tone. "All you need to know is that your brother, your husband, and the rest of those pitiful gundam pilots are traitors. They were supposed to fight for the colonies, but ended up defending the enemy - the earth! Their actions are inexcusable and they must pay. And you. It was your fault. They were weak soldiers and you tricked them. You made them sympathize with you and the earth, and they abandoned the colonies. I'd kill you right now, but it's against my orders."

There was such hostility in his words that Relena shuddered outwardly as well as inwardly. "I did no such thing," she retorted. "I had no reason to trick them, or deceive them. The gundam pilots fought against injustice, but above all else, they fought to achieve peace in outer space and on earth. We've had peace for over seven years. Why is it not good enough for you?"

The soldier sniffed and gave a bitter chuckle. "The earth continues to milk the colonies of their resources, and use the people as cheap labor. There's no equality - there's no justice."

"That's just not true," Relena replied. "I've worked with representatives from the colonies, and they're perfectly happy with the trade arrangements we've ma-..."

Relena stopped in mid-sentence as she came face to face with four more heavily armed men waiting at the end of the tunnel. Upon seeing her, one of the men quickly grabbed her as another came to help him. With their hands covering her mouth, the group quickly carried her to a small shuttle waiting on one of the outer runways of a deserted airfield. Relena felt hope leave her as she was tied to one of the seats and the shuttle took off, carrying her to outer space before anyone even knew that she was missing.

 

 

But someone did know that Relena had left. In fact, there were two small someones that had seen the man in the black suit and white armband shuffle their "Aunt Lena" down to the basement. They hadn't followed them into the tunnels, though. Instead they ran to find their father, or Uncle Heero or Trowa or anybody. The Maxwell twins may have only been four, but they knew trouble when they saw it.

Heero had searched the bedroom, the courtyard and the gardens, but still no sign of her. The painful thought that maybe she had left gripped him for a few minutes until he checked with the guards and entrance cameras. No one had seen her leave. He was about turn away from the main gate and check the rest of the palace when he saw his own limo pull up. Trowa exited, followed by Quatre who helped his wife Luna out with their two children. Heero looked at the little boy who bounded toward the gate at Trowa's side. Xavier Winner was five, and aside from the mass of black hair that topped his head, he was a miniature version of Quatre. He had all of his father's features - the same eyes and cheekbones, and yes, the same smile. Quatre walked slowly behind Trowa, waiting for Luna, who held their six-month old daughter Anya. The Winners had been visiting one of the family's lunar resource satellites when they had received the urgent warning from Heero and Duo. Quatre had rushed his wife and children back onto the shuttle and left with his guards. The satellite had just finished being evacuated when the bombs exploded. Fortunately it was far enough away from the earth and the colonies. And thankfully, no one had died. Heero stepped outside to greet them, exchanging relieved glances with Trowa as he walked past. "Hiya, Uncle Heero," Xavier piped, smiling Quatre's smile.

"Hello," said Heero, managing a grin through the scowl he had been wearing all day.

"Mama and Dad say we're going to stay here with you for a while. I like the earth. Where are Daniel and Deiter?"

"Probably inside," Heero answered, patting the little boy's coal black hair. "Pagan can help you find them." Xavier trotted off, taking Trowa's hand as he walked through the palace doors. Heero continued down the walkway to the boy's parents. A worried, but grateful looking Quatre met him.

"Heero, there aren't enough words I can say to thank you..." Quatre began, choking with emotion. Luna nodded in agreement with tears in her eyes as she came to his side, cradling her sleeping baby. "Why is this happening?"

"Revenge," Heero said in his perfect soldier tone. "I just wonder why it took them so long." Quatre gave a look betraying that he didn't know either, and Heero turned to usher them inside. They found Duo and Wufei in the main hall talking to Trowa. Hilde was with them and ran over to hug Luna and Quatre with Duo following behind her.

"Come on, we'll get you settled," she said to Luna and started off towards the upstairs.

"I'll be along soon," Quatre assured her. "I need to speak with the others," he said, motioning towards the rest of the men.

As Heero went to have another look at the security station he heard Duo filling Trowa and Quatre in on what happened with Relena. He shook his head and looked down at the floor as he made his way back over to the group. "Have you seen her, Duo?" Heero asked.

"No, not lately. Did you check the office?"

"And everywhere else. Let's take the long way to the conference room; I want to see if she's in there now."

The five men made their way through the halls, stopping the office door. This time they walked all the way in, still finding no trace of Relena. Heero noticed a piece of paper lying on the floor and bent down to pick it up. He began to read when he was interrupted by the sounds of running footsteps and squealing little voices. Daniel and Deiter Maxwell ran into the office, followed by Xavier and a very out of breath Pagan. The boys ran to their father, both talking at once. Duo squatted down so that he was eye level with his sons, and placing a hand on each of their shoulders, bade them calm down and speak one at time.

Deiter started, "Daddy, it's Aunt Lena! A mean man took her down to the basement, in the tunnels!" Heero's eyes grew wide as they fixed on the small boy. He felt cold all over, and the feeling only grew worse as Daniel continued.

"He said he would hurt her if she tried to run away or scream. He's taking her to outer space."

It took a few moments for the shock to wear off, and the four other pilots found themselves looking at Heero, who continued to stare blankly. He fixed his eyes on the letter in his hand, not really reading it. All of this had happened so suddenly, and his Relena was in danger again, stolen away while he was close by. He stared and stared at the letter, just wanting something to focus on. Then he noticed a certain paragraph on the white sheet of paper. He clutched it in his hand and slid to the floor. "Relena," he whispered. Duo walked over to him and knelt down. Heero absently handed Duo the letter, which he read.

"Oh my God," Duo uttered, looking up from the paper. "Don't you worry, buddy," he said to Heero. "We'll get her back."

"Daddy," Daniel added, looking at Duo. "The man looked a lot like Mr. Marius."

"Kahn?..." Trowa muttered askingly, looking every bit as surprised as the others.

End Part 2

 

Author's Note: Ok, if you don't remember who Marius Kahn is, he was the guy who led them through the Lowen tunnels in Heero's Peace. He was General Hydek (the good general's) assistant. A huge THANK YOU to everyone who reviewed last time - please do the same! Love, Stella.