This story will take place in the year AC 199

 

To Protect Until the End Prologue

 

Relena walked into the kitchen toward the breakfast bar. And smiled at her friend and bodyguard of three years. She placed a hand on his shoulder and leaned over to see what he was eating.

"I see cold cereal again Heero, a true soldiers meal." She smirked as he shrugged her hand off of his shoulder. 

Giggling quietly she walked over to the fridge to get out the bowl of peaches and cottage cheese and carried them over to where Heero was sitting and took the set next to him. 

"Don't eat that stuff around me." He warned. She just smirked and started to mix the fruit with the cottage cheese. Heero quickly finished eating and carried his bowl over to the sink. 

"Heero." 

"What." He rinsed the bowl off and sat it down.

"Something has been on your mind lately, what's wrong?"

"It's nothing for you to worry about."

She smiled and looked at him as he leaned against the sink to look out the window. "I see, one of those personal things that you want to keep bottled up."

"Everyone is entitled to keep some things private Relena." He looked over at her to see a slightly hurt look on her face. "You've been a good friend to me the past few years. I appreciate what you have done for me, but this is something that I have to deal with alone. So don't worry about it."

Relena smiled at him and Heero looked once more out the window. "Oh, Heero.... Daniel is coming over around seven tonight. I'm sorry that I didn't let you know ahead of time."

"Youíre entitled to have your boyfriend to come over whenever you want."

"Oh really, if I remember correctly you about chewed my head off last week for having a last minute dinner with him."

Heero turned to face her and leaned against the counter. He gave her a stern look then crossed his arms. "That was different, you were going out. I need to know about those things. Him coming over here isn't a threat to your safety."

Relena started to laugh, "Really Heero, at times I think I should just call you mom."

Heero smiled slightly at her comment. "Is he going to have dinner over here?"

Relena got up and carried her bowl to the sink, stopping to put the cottage cheese away she answered him. "Yes he is."

"Oh." 

"Oh? What's that supposed to mean?" She turned the water on.

"Nothing, I was just curious if I would be eating alone tonight."

Relena stopped cleaning her bowl to look at him. "Heero you don't have to eat alone, you're always welcome to join us."

"No that's ok. Since Daniel is coming over then you won't mind if I go out tonight, do you?"

Relena felt slightly hurt, ever since she started to see Daniel officially eight months ago Heero has never eaten dinner with them. "No I don't mind. Have fun."

Heero watched her as she finished cleaning her bowl and placed it next to his. He could tell that she was upset with him. "Are you ready to go, you have a meeting in forty minutes."

"Don't remind me." She groaned and headed toward the door.

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>

Heero sighed and drowned himself in another beer. Another day had gone by just as smoothly as the last. Relena was safe at home with her date. And here he was sitting alone at a bar, getting hit on occasionally by women who wanted to buy him a drink. But he had a more serious problem to deal with, and he had no one to turn to. He was so use to going to Relena and talking things out. Over the past three years she has helped him to understand himself better, to find a place for himself in this war-free life.  But this time he couldn't go to her because his problem involved her. 

He didn't know when it happened, but he knew when he first took notice of it. He was in love with Relena. At first it was easy to just push the feeling away, after all he had her safety to worry about. But ever since she started seeing the man known as Daniel Kincaid just over a year ago it has been harder and harder to suppress his feelings. And when they started to officially date, seeing them together only made his heart ache so he stayed away as much as possible. 

The first time that he seen Daniel and Relena kiss was the first time that he ever experienced jealousy. And the rage that he experienced in that moment made him decide to stay away whenever Daniel and Relena were together, for fear of what he may possibly do, and that he didn't like the feeling of being jealous. 

He looked at the clock that hung behind the counter and seen that it was almost midnight and he decided that it was time to head home, knowing that Daniel would be gone, and Relena in bed. He didn't like her to see him when he was slightly drunk and stank of cigarette smoke and liquor. He threw a couple of bills down on the counter and left the bar and caught a taxi back to Relena's.

After paying the driver Heero got out and pulled out his keys and opened the door. All was quiet inside, all lights turned off except for a lamp by the door. He so badly wanted to lie down and to sleep off the alcohol that he consumed. Walking quietly up the stairs he headed toward his room, but just before he opened the door he heard a sound from down the hall. 

'Relena.'

Heero moved quickly into his room and got his gun from the top drawer of this desk and checked the clip to make sure that it was loaded.  He then quietly hurried to her room and leaned up against the wall next to her door. Reaching out he took the door handle in his hand and turned the knob, the door was locked. When her herd what sounded like a muffled cry he panicked and moved in front of her door. With a forceful kick the door slammed open. 

With his gun pointing ahead he quickly scanned the room and his eyes rested on the bed and the two unclothed figures that were on it. Instantly a huge wave of anger and embarrassment hit him.

Relena quickly grabbed the sheet and wrapped it around her and slid off of Daniel and glared. "Heero, what do you think your doing! Get the hell out of my room!"

Heero lowed the gun but not the glare that he was giving Daniel. "I herd a noise and thought that you were in trouble."

"Does it look like I'm in trouble Heero? Get out!" She pointed her finger toward the hallway.

"Fine. But next time if your going to have company stay the night then maybe you should let me know so I don't interrupt anything again." He snapped at her and grabbed the door slamming it on his way out.

Relena sighed and watched her door swing back open. The sound of Heero's door slamming made her jump slightly. 'Oh God.'  "I'm so sorry Daniel that was so embarrassing."

"Don't be sorry, it's understandable. It's his job to protect you."

"I still feel horrible."

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>

Heero collapsed on his bed. He couldn't get the image of Relena and Daniel out of his mind. That was extremely embarrassing to walk in on them having sex. And his heart ached from that sight. She was serious about that relationship then. And he had better prepare himself for seeing more of Daniel around the house. Possibly a lot more if they married. And if that ever happened he knew that he couldn't stay. It would be impossible to work with the growing pain in his chest. And he decided before he let himself drift to sleep, that if the day ever came that Daniel asked Relena to marry him, and if she accepted, he would leave.