To Protect Until the End Chapter 1

 

Relena opened her eyes lazily. She glanced over at the clock it was nearly eight in the morning. She found it to be weird that Heero had let her sleep in so late, then she remembered after what happened last night Heero probably wouldn't step foot in her room again. She looked over at Daniel, who to her surprise was watching her. 

Relena smiled as Daniel kissed her forehead. "Good morning." he whispered to her. He could clearly tell that something was bothering her and he knew what it was. "You're thinking about Heero."

Relena nodded. "I don't know what to say to him about last night."

"Let me give you a word of advice. Don't talk about it unless he wants too."

"What."

"Relena, it was a pretty embarrassing situation for the three of us. And I personally just want to forget about it. I don't want to wind up feeling anymore uncomfortable around your bodyguard than I already am."

"Maybe you're right." It was an awkward situation to have someone that you consider your best friend, and someone that you love to walk in on you with another man. And if she didn't know Heero better she could have sworn that he was acting jealous, but that was impossible Heero only seen her as a friend.

"Do you want to use the bathroom first?"

Relena smirked as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "How about we share it?"

Daniel smiled "That sounds even better."

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>

Heero looked down at the sheet of paper in his hand to double check the hotel room number on it. He got up early that morning, remembering that Quatre was in town for the weekend on business. He had to talk to someone, and he knew that Quatre would be the most understanding person besides Relena to talk to.

He knocked on the door and a few moments later Trowa opened the door with slight hint of surprise on his face.

"Heero."

"I need to talk to Quatre." He walked past Trowa and toward the sitting room.

Trowa closed the door and quietly followed Heero while shaking his head, it was just like Heero to just do as he pleased. "I'll let Quatre know that you're here."

Heero sat down and watched Trowa with curiosity as he walked back toward the bedroom. He could here Quatre's voice, and a few seconds later the blond walked out from the back and toward him with a smile on his face. 

"Heero it's good to see you, Trowa said that you need to talk?"

Heero looked at Trowa as he walked over to one of the large widows and sat down on the windowsill. "I'm not interrupting anything am I?"

Quatre smiled once again and shook his head. "Of course not Heero. What can I do for you?"

"I have a problem."

Trowa looked at Heero. He was shocked to hear those words come from him, it was a true rarity to hear Heero to admit to something. 

"Well, I'm here to listen if you do want to talk. I promise that nothing will leave this room."

Heero looked at Trowa who nodded in agreement with Quatre.

"I witnessed something that was private between Relena and her boyfriend."

Quatre's eyes went wide and he snickered. "I see...and how did this come to happen?"

"I came home late last night and didn't have any knowledge that she had planned for him to stay the night. I thought that she was in trouble."

"And you went barging in with your gun drawn on them, right?" Quatre finished for him. Heero nodded and Quatre started laughing.

Heero's anger started to build. "What's so damn funny Quatre?"

"I was just wondering, how long have you been in love with her?" Quatre smiled when a look of shock crossed Heero's face for a few short seconds.

Heero looked down at his hands. "Is it that obvious?"

"Yes." Both Trowa and Quatre spoke up.

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>

Relena walked around until she found Pagan. She had been searching the large house for Heero for the past fifteen minutes and couldn't find him. While Relena and Daniel were upstairs still they had decided, since this was Relena's only day off for a week, they wanted to go out on a picnic at a public park. And since Heero had been specific that she wasn't to ever leave the house without him she needed to talk to him about what she had planned for the day.

"Pagan." She smiled at the old man as he stopped reading the morning newspaper.

"Ms Relena can I get you something?"

"No that's ok Pagan, actually I was wondering if you knew where Heero was?"

"Mr. Yuy went out to see Mr. Winner. He said that he would be back before lunch time."

"Quatre's in town?"

"Yes Ms, It seems that he got here yesterday for a business meeting with one of the major production corporations in the city."

"Are you ready to go Relena?" Daniel called from the doorway.

Relena looked at him and smiled. "Yes. Pagan, tell Heero not to worry when he gets back. I won't be out for too long, and that I'll be with Daniel."

"Yes Ms Relena. Have a good day." Pagan watched Relena take Daniel's hand and leave the house. He knew that Heero wasn't going to be pleased when he got home.

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>

Daniel didn't get Relena home to nearly nightfall. They both walked into the house talking about the day's events and funny things that happened. They were both laughing at an incident over ice cream that melted quickly and made a mess of Daniel's shirt. After they calmed down that is when they seen the very pissed off look on Heero Yuy's face as he stood near the staircase. 

"Heero." Relena smiled at him. "I'm sorry that I'm late. We were having so much fun that we just lost track of time."

Heero continued to just glare at the two of them. 

"I'm sorry that I had her out late." Daniel watched as Heero shifted his gaze to just Relena.

"I thought that we had a talk about this Relena." Heero hissed at her. "How in the hell can you expect me to do my job when you take off without my knowledge."

"Heero we were in a public place...."

"You were where anyone could have gotten to you." Heero cut her off. "I can't do my job when I'm not there Relena. Anything could have happened to you today."

"But it didn't. I'm fine and I'm home now." 

"You were lucky today. Something like this better not ever happen again."

"Or what?" Relena practically screamed at Heero.

"Or I'll quit. And you can drive someone else nuts with your whereabouts and safety." Heero walked up the stair to his room laving a stunned Relena behind.

She hadn't expected that from him. He was sincere, she could tell by the look on his face. She was expecting him to say that he would keep her locked in the house all the time on her days off, or that he would demand her to stop seeing Daniel, but not ever say that he would quit.

"I'm sorry Relena." Daniel placed a hand on her shoulder. "He's right though. We shouldn't have gone out without him. We'll just make sure that we don't run off without him again"

"No." Relena shook her head. "It can never happen again. I would be loosing more than just a bodyguard, I would be loosing my friend."

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>

Heero stared at his laptop. He tried to vent off some anger and hacked away on his computer trying to find one bit of bad information on Relena's boyfriend, but he knew he wouldn't find anything. He has performed this search numerous times and always found nothing that would consider the guy a threat. All except a parking ticket that Daniel had gotten a few years ago there was nothing else that would give Heero worry. 

Daniel was the type of man that would look good standing by Relena's side to the public eye. He was no soldier, like Heero, but a very successful Heart surgeon that had a good future ahead of him. Daniel and Heero were nothing alike, but they shared one thing that meant the world to them both, Relena.

A knock on his door brought him out of his thoughts. "Come in." He looked over his shoulder to see Relena approaching him.

Sitting down on the edge on his bed closest to him. Relena sighed. "I'm so sorry about today Heero. I broke a promise, and I fear that I broke your trust in me."

Heero turned around to face her. "You should have called me."

"I know. I'm sorry."

"Damnit Relena, do you have any idea how worried I was. I had no idea where you were. Anything could have happened to you and I wouldn't have been there to protect you." Turning away from her he took a deep breath to help fight back the emotions that were running through him. "You know that I always carry my cell phone. I would have come back immediately." He managed to keep his voice neutral of his feelings at the moment.

"I know." She softly whispered. "It won't ever happen again. I promise you."

"I can't loose you Relena. I'd be lost without your friendship."

Relena got off of the bed and draped her arms over his shoulders and whispered in his ear. "I won't leave you Heero. I'll always be here when you need me."

Heero leaned back against her. Enjoying the feeling of her touch, he closed her eyes and they stayed like that for a few moments before Relena pulled back and started to rub his shoulders for him. 

"Heero about last night...."

"I'd rather not discuss it, if that's ok with you. But I did want to apologize for walking in."

Relena smirked. "You didn't exactly walk in." She teased. She could feel Heero tense up with her words. "Apology accepted." She gave his shoulders a squeeze. "Next time you'll know when and when not to enter my room if the door is locked."

"It's getting late Relena. You should go and get some sleep. You have two meetings tomorrow morning."

Relena groaned. "Why do you always have to remind me." She gave him a playful smack on the arm and started to walk out of the room. 

"Will you be having company over tonight?" He called after her. 

Relena looked back to see that Heero had turned to look at her. She smiled and shook her head. "No, not tonight."

Heero nodded and turned back toward his computer. "Good night then."

"Good night Heero."

With the sound of his door closing Heero shut his computer off. Placing his elbows on the desk her ran his fingers through his hair, stopping to rest his head in his hands he thought about how Relena had been acting differently. She was making simple little mistakes because she was in love. He could never let her know just how worried he really was. Even though Quatre and Trowa were helpful with a few suggestions, he shouldn't have gone, he shouldn't have left her. If something had happened to her he wouldn't be able to forgive himself for not being there.

Getting up Heero decided to make his rounds to make sure the house was secure before he went to bed. Passing by Relena's room he could hear her humming to herself. Heero smirked, he was happy for her despite how bad his heart ached. And as long as she was happy he would be happy for her.