To Protect Until the End Chapter 2

 

Heero stared at the ceiling listening to the sounds of wind blowing the curtains around in his room. It had been two months since he walked in on Relena and Daniel and it was something that still bothered him. Especially since Daniel has spent every night this week with Relena. And what did he do? Nothing, he just laid here unable to get to sleep some nights knowing that they were getting closer and more involved. And he knew that Daniel would soon ask Relena to marry him.

Looking out the window as a flash of lightning filled the night sky, Heero got out of bed and closed his window before the rain started to fall. Leaning against the window frame he watched the rain start to soak the ground below. The sound of the phone ringing from downstairs carried down the hallway, and a short time later a knock sounded on the door. 

"Come in."

The door creaked open and Pagan stood in the doorway. "Mr. Yuy, Mr. Millardo and Ms Noin will be arriving on Earth shortly."

"I'll get dressed and be down in a few seconds to go with you to pick them up Pagan." Heero hated to admit it, but he need to get out of the house for a while. He knew that Relena would be safe, and that she and Daniel were probably already asleep at this hour.

"Yes sir." Pagan closed the door before he left.

Heero sighed and looked out the window again. He wasn't looking forward to this. Everyone would be showing up here tomorrow for a dinner party. He would get to see his old friends that he hasn't seen in awhile, but he would also have to put up with his two adversaries, Zechs and Daniel.  Glancing down at the driveway Heero seen Pagan pull the limo up to the front door. He quickly got dressed and made his way out to the car.

After getting in the front passenger seat, and shaking some droplet of water out of his hair with his hand, Heero nodded at Pagan and they drove off. Heero glanced back at the house to make sure that the guards were positioned out front, satisfied he watched the storm out the windshield.

"I'm sure that Ms. Relena will be fine sir."

"Yes she should be."

"It's good to see Ms. Relena happy." Pagan glanced at the young man next to him to see that Heero still had his eyes glued on the storm outside. He knew of Heero's feelings for Relena. He may be an old man, but he easily picked up on things. And Heero Yuy wasn't as hard to read as most people give him credit for. Pagan shook his head slightly when Heero didn't respond. It was a shame in his eyes to have watched Relena work so hard in the past to get Heero's attention. Then, when Heero decided to be her personal bodyguard, Relena struggled to help Heero with his emotional problems and a strong friendship bonded between them. 

Pagan chuckled quietly getting Heero to glance at him for a moment. Pagan remembered all the times that he would be driving Relena around to her various appointments and she would chatter non stop about Heero, and ask him if he thought if she would ever have a chance with the quit young man. There were times when he would wonder why she would never give up on Heero, but he knew that the reason was because she was in love with him. It was a shame that Heero never showed any feelings beyond friendship toward Relena, until recently. And even though his feelings may have changed, Pagan knew that Heero would never let her know, now that she was involved. 

Pagan had to admit that he liked Daniel, and was glad that Relena had moved on. He loved to see a smile on Relena's face and he hoped that Daniel would continue to keep it there.

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>

After arriving at the shuttle port they waited for a few minutes for the private shuttle to finally land. It was about another half hour before they were finally diving home. Heero still chose to sit in the front with Pagan. After most of the ride home being quiet Heero was starting to think that Zechs would ignore him until Zechs deep voice question him.

"What are you doing here Yuy? Aren't you supposed to be looking after you client?"

Heero glanced at Zechs through the rearview mirror. "She's safe with the security she has."

Zechs nodded and looked at Noin who had fallen asleep while resting her head on his shoulder. "You would know best about her safety." Looking back at Heero, he saw that the younger man was still looking at him. "You do know why Relena invited everyone to this dinner party don't you?" Heero turned around, and Zechs knew instantly that Heero may have had an idea, but was still clueless. "Relena and Daniel are going to announce their engagement."

Heero turned away from Zechs. "I knew that was coming." He should have figured it out when the whole dinner party was planned. Daniel's family, and Relena's friends and family would be there. That was obvious clues. 

"Yes, I guess you would." Zechs watched Heero's silent form for a few moments before turning his attention to watching Noin sleep. He was glad that he finally decided not to push her away any longer and let her into his life fully. His eyes glanced at Heero one more time before he sighed. Heero was one of the most stubborn people that he had ever met on the battlefield. And it seemed like he was going to be just as stubborn with his feelings.

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>

The rest of the ride home was quiet except for the pounding rain on the roof of the limo. After pulling up to the house Zechs woke Noin up. He heard the door to the front passenger side open before the car came to a stop. And Heero was already in the estate before he and Noin got out of the limo. 

Heero was surprised to see Relena awake as he walked up the steps. She had stopped at the top when she seen him, but then slowly started to walk down the steps. And he felt something stir within himself when Zechs words ran through his head 'Relena and Daniel are going to announce their engagement.' He couldn't take his eyes off of her as he walked up the steps. He was angry, yet what was he really anger over? Her engagement? Or the fact that she didn't tell him before this damn dinner party?

Relena was wrapped in her bathrobe and offered Heero a smile as he got closer to her. She soon knew something was wrong when his blank face didn't changed, and she seen the cold look in his eyes that he use to have during the war. Looking down the steps she seen Millardo and Lucrezia walk in carrying their luggage. Relena felt Heero's hand grip her arm and she looked at him. She couldn't take her eyes off his. They were filled with hurt and anger. She thought that it must have had something to do with Millardo, but she soon found out she was wrong.

"You could have told me." Heero snapped quietly at her before letting go of her arm and walking the rest of the way of the steps.

Relena was about to go and greet her brother, but decided to have a word with Heero about what just happened. She followed the path that he took to his room and walked in without announcing herself. She didn't care about the shocked look on his face as she walked in and pointed her finger at him.

"You have no right to be angry with me Heero. I wanted to announce it to my friends. And that is what you are Heero, a friend. I'm entitled to keep a secret. Weren't you the one that told me that everyone is entitled to keep some things a secret."

Heero quickly placed his unreadable mask on. "This is different Relena."

"Why is this different? It's not like you were never going to find out about it."

"Because, this changes everything."

Relena didn't understand what he was trying to get across. "What does it change Heero? What? The way that youíre going to protect me because there's going to be one more person tagging along?" She raised her hand to stop him from talking when she seen that he was getting ready to protest.. "Let me guess. Daniel is just going to interrupt you well balanced set of rules and orders."

Heero didn't know how to react to her. This is the second time that Relena has been mad at him, but the first time that she has ever blown up like she has. Something deep within him stirred and he closed the distance between them, while Relena continued to practically screaming more questions at him. After closing the gap between them Heero quickly and gently cupped her face and kissed her. 

Relena's eyes closed as she felt the warmth of his lips against her own, her hands slowly moved up and came to a rest on Heero's chest. She started to loose herself in the moment until she felt Heero's arm slip around her wait and pull her closer, at that further contact she pushed away from him and took a step back. 

"Why....why did you?" Relena touched her lips and a look of confusion crossed her face.

Heero spoke without thinking clearly and said something that he regretted the second after he said it. "It was the only thing that I could think of the shut you up."

Relena's eyes started to water and she quickly fled the room before she cried in front of him. She wouldn't allow Heero to see her cry. She couldn't let him know what that one kiss did to her.

Heero closed his eyes and ran a hand through his hair. "Fuck." he cursed quietly. "Why in the hell did I say that?" He decided at that moment to go after Relena and to tell her the truth. Walking out into the hall he was about to call out her name, but stopped when he seen Relena, Zechs, and Noin standing together. He could see Relena wipe her eyes, and hear Zechs ask her what was wrong. Relena shook her head and replied that nothing was wrong. Then she looked over at Heero when she seen him standing in his doorway. Relena wished everyone goodnight and walked quietly to her room.

Zechs looked over at Heero and both men locked eyes for a brief moment until Noin dragged Zechs off saying that she was ready for bed. Heero walked back into his room and closed the door. He knew damn well that he wouldn't be getting any sleep, and he was defiantly not looking forward to tomorrow.