To Protect Until the End Chapter 3

 

His blue eyes darted across the room watching the guest, some friends and others being people he didn't know, congratulate the newly engaged couple. Heero sat quietly off to one side of the room away from as much contact as possible. He kept his expressionless face on as he watched Relena talk to Daniels family. An occasional glance would be thrown his way to see what he thought of the situation, but all they would see is Heero being Heero. 

Heero was a bit frustrated with what happened last night. He tried his hardest to get a chance to talk to Relena alone during the day, but she did her best to avoid him. And even now in the company of their friends she never mentioned his name, or threw a glance his way.

Picking his drink up from the end table, Heero watched Quatre cross the room toward him. He knew exactly why the blond was coming over.

Taking a seat beside Heero Quatre smiled. "So...how are you Heero?" Quatre watched Heero shrug his shoulders, and then eyed Heero's drink. 

"It's not alcohol." Heero smirked as he seen Quatre look at his drink. "I don't get drunk when I'm on duty."

"But you're not on duty." Quatre stated and looked through the crowd at Relena. "And considering...."

"Quatre I really don't want to discuss this." Heero cut the Arabian off, startling him with his harsh tone. "At least not here."

"Ok, then lets go somewhere to talk," Quatre waited for Heero to agree and they both quietly slipped out of the busy room and headed to Relena's study down the hall. 

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>  

Relena just happened to glance up to see Quatre and Heero heading out of the room. She had invited the other Gundam pilots to give Heero someone to talk to, but he had made it clear that he wasn't in any mood to talk. So she couldn't help the spark of curiosity that ran through her as she wondered what the two of them were doing.

She had seen Heero mope in the corner of the large family room all evening. The attitude that he was giving off was enough to even make Duo stay away from him most of the evening. A few curious glances from Daniels family was sent his way, and questions about the quiet Japanese man. 

"Ms. Relena." 

Relena glace to her left to see Pagan. "Pagan is there something wrong."

"No Ms. Minister Parkinson's aid dropped by to have this document signed," Pagan handed her a folder. "He said that you were expecting this. And he sends his apology for coming over this late."

Relena smiled and took the folder. She had already pre-read the document so all she had to do was sign it. "I just need to get a pen." She stood up only to have Daniel push her back down.

"I'll get it for you." Daniel gave Relena a quick kiss before he left the room.

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>  

Once they reached the study Quatre slid the door shut as he watched Heero take a seat at Relena's desk. Quatre quietly walked over to a chair and sat down and watched Heero for a few moments before finally speaking.

"It's good to see Relena happy. And that is probably the main reason why you haven't told her how you felt. But should you sacrifice the feelings that you have for her?"

"She's in love with him Quatre."

"But she's in love with you too," Heero looked at Quatre. "She always has been, but you've known that."

Heero shook his head "That love is different now."

"Is it? Has she told you that she only loves you as a friend?"

Heero glared at Quatre and stood up, then walked around the desk and headed toward the door and stopped. "This conversation isn't going to get me to changed my mind."

Quatre looked at Heero shocked. "Change you mind about what?"

Heero didn't know if he wanted to continue this conversation or not. He knew that he could trust Quatre. "Something happened last night, and with everything thing else that is going on I decided that it would be best if I moved out."

"Move out." Quatre watched Heero nod his head. "This something had to do with Relena, right?"

"Yes." Heero stopped himself from telling Quatre what happened in his room when he got the feeling that someone was on the other side of the door. Heero forcefully slid the door open and hid his glare at the man on the other side of the door. "How long have you been standing there?" 

Daniel smiled. "I just got here when you opened the door." He glanced in the room to see Quatre get up out of his chair.

"What's your reason for being here?" Heero tried his best to keep his voice at the cold level that it normally was.

"I came to get Relena a pen to sign a document that Minister Parkinson sent over."

Quatre looked on Relena's desk and grabbed a pen and walked over to give it to Daniel, just as Heero brushed past him and started down the hallway. "Heero, where are you going?" Quatre knew that Heero was going to go into more detail about what happened before Daniel showed up, and was hoping that they could continue but Heero quietly walked down the hallway and headed upstairs.

Daniel thanked Quatre as he took the pen and threw a glance down the hall. "He knows that I heard more than I let on."

"Yeah, Heero is a smart man."

Running the pen between his thumb and index finger, Daniel listed to the quiet footstep that went up the stairway, and the laughter being carried down the hallway. "I had no idea. I always took his actions as an overly protective big brother." 

Quatre smiled. "Heero is stubborn. But he will never do anything to jeopardize the happiness that you and Relena have."

Daniel nodded. "Well, I better get back."

Quatre watched Daniel walk back toward the party for a few moments before following to head back himself.

<<<<<<<> >>>>>>  

Daniel stood in the doorway watching Relena talk with his mother. He didn't know what to think of what he had overheard. He couldn't blame Heero for loving Relena. She was a beautiful, intelligent woman. And he wondered how Heero had been able to live with her without taken action sooner. Daniel walked up behind Relena and slowly reached around her so the pen was in her sight. She jumped and laughed quietly.

"What took you so long?" Relena asked as she turned to look at Daniel.

"I ran into Heero, and Mr. Winner." Daniel watched Relena's eyes slightly light up at the sound of Heero's name before she turned away to sign the document. He didn't know why he never took notice of it sooner. 

"Oh...what were they up to?"

"They were just talking." Daniel took his previous seat by Relena and watched her for a few moments. "Speaking of Heero," Relena looked up from the paper work to look at him. "You should go and talk to him."

"Is something wrong?" She knew that Heero had been distant and cold toward everyone today, and she knew that she had a big part in that.

"Just go and talk to him." Daniel took the papers from her and stuffed them back in the folder. "I'll make sure that Minister Parkinson's aid gets these." Daniel stood up and offered his hand to Relena, who graciously took it and stood up. 

<<<<<<<> >>>>>>  

Heero closed the transmission on his laptop and shut it down, picking it up he moved it over to his bed, by his bags. He then proceeded into the bathroom to get the last of his possessions. When he stepped out of the bathroom a few moments later he saw something that caught his eye by the door. Glancing over he seen Relena standing in the doorway looking at his bed. Heero knew that this was Daniels handy work. He walked over to his bed and packed the last of his things.

"You're leaving." 

Relena voice carried across the quiet room. 

"I have a mission to go on." He wasn't exactly lying. He did have a mission. To get out of here, and away from the distraction that Relena and Daniel caused. 

"Don't lie. You wouldn't pack that much stuff it was only a mission."

Heero shrugged his shoulders. "I'm going to be gone for quite sometime."

Relena could feel the slight stinging sensation of tears forming. "You're moving out. Does this mean you're quitting?"

"I would never quit my job, unless you wished me to."

"Then why are you leaving Heero?"

"I've overstayed my welcome." 

Relena quickly crossed the room and place her hand on his suitcase. "Heero, I have told you before that this is your home as well. Besides I feel safer in this large house knowing that you're here."

"I'll be here when you wake up in the morning, and I'll stay until you're asleep. I'm only a phone call and ten minutes away if anything happens."

Relena sighed and pulled her hand back. "You've had this worked out for awhile now then." Heero nodded and picked his bags up and started for the door. "Are you really leaving because of what happened last night?" Heero stopped but didn't turn to face her. "Because if it is...I'm not angry about what happened."

"It was wrong of me. And I apologize for what I said....but that's not the reason why I'm leaving."

"It's not? Then why? We've been friends for a long time now, don't you think that you owe it to me to tell me why?"

Heero turned slightly to look at her. She had crossed her arms when he looked at her, waiting for him to answer her question. "The truth?"

Relena nodded. "That would be nice."

Heero didn't know if he should say it or not. It would only end up complicating things even more. And he had no idea what her reaction would be, but he would soon find out. "Because I can't stand to see you in that mans arms."

Relena's mouth opened slightly as if she was about to say something. She couldn't believe what she just heard Heero say. He couldn't stand to see her in Daniel's arms? But that would mean that Heero had feeling well beyond friendship for her. Why hadn't she taken notice of it? He had been acting different lately, but she would have never of thought that it was this.

Heero watched the look of complete shock on her face. She hadn't even expected him to say something like that. After a few moments of silence, and it was clear that she was lost in thought, Heero quietly slipped out of the room leaving the shocked Relena behind. Heero walked out the front door, a part of him expected Relena to come rushing after him. When she didn't come he continued out to the waiting taxi outside, not knowing what tomorrow was going to bring.