To Protect Until the End Chapter 6

 

The sound of the doorbell chiming brought Heero out of his thoughts. He quietly got out of the chair he had been sitting in and walked to the front door just as Pagan was opening it. 

"Hello Mr. Kincaid."

"Pagan." Daniel smiled as he entered, but that smile quickly vanished as he spotted Heero. "Heero, it's good to see that you're up and moving after only two weeks since your surgery."

Heero remained quiet as he stared at the man before him. He had a lot on his mind since he and Relena had gotten a chance to talk when they had gotten home. "She's been expecting you. You'll find her in her study. I'll leave the two of you alone." Heero moved toward the front door and stopped before he walked out. "If she asks, I'm on my rounds."

Daniel nodded and moved down toward the study. He and Relena hadn't seen much of each other since she left he hospital. Relena had been busy trying to catch up with work, and Daniel had been out of town learning how to use a new tool to aid in surgery.

Coming to a stop before the study, Daniel took notice that the door was cracked. He saw Relena sitting in the chair behind her desk. She had her elbows resting on the desk, and was running her fingertips on her temples. Knocking he opened the door the rest of the way. Relena looked up at him and placed her hands down on the desk. Daniel instantly took notice that she didn't offer him a smile after not seeing him for two weeks. 

"Daniel, thank you for coming. I really need to talk to you." Relena gestured for Daniel to sit in the seat across from her. She watched him as he slowly crossed the room eyeing her. She knew that he understood that something was up. Relena waited for Daniel to take his seat before she spoke again. "Daniel, you have been a very good friend to me."

Daniel shook his head. He had been expecting this to be the reason why she called him over. "Relena, the 'trying to break it to you easy stuff' isn't going to work with me, if you are breaking things off with me then just be straight forward."

Relena nodded. "I have been up for nights thinking about my situation. I care for two men very deeply, yet one has always had a part of my heart. I'm sorry Daniel, but Heero..... I've loved Heero since the first time I laid eyes on him." The room grew quiet as the two of them stared at each other. Relena could see the brief anger that flooded Daniel's eyes before he looked away from her. "I can understand if you hate me. But it's wrong for me to deny my feelings, or to continue to make you believe that I'm still in love with you. I do care for you more than just a friend, I always will."

Daniel took a deep breath and looked at her. "Are you sleeping with him?"

Relena looked away from Daniel and the cold stare that he was sending her.

"How long?"

Relena closed her eyes and sighed. She knew that things were going to get ugly. "Daniel, it's none of your business if Heero and I..."

"What do you mean it's none of my business?" Daniel cut her off. "You're my fiancÈe Relena. I have the right to know if you're slinking about behind my back."

Relena stood up out of her chair and slammed her hands down on the desk. She winced slightly from the slight pain that shot through her shoulder, but held the angered look in her eyes. "Heero and I have admitted our feeling for each other, but we have not acted on those feelings as of yet."

"Is that so? Why then? Why haven't the two of you slept together?"

"Because it was something that we both decided to wait on until...." Relena trailed off, she was unsure if she should speak the next words to Daniel.

"Until what? Until you dump the idiot right?"

"Daniel I...."

"No, I get it now." Daniel cut her off and stood up out of his chair. "You were using me all along. You used me to get Heero to admit to himself that he wanted you. I should have figured this out when I overheard Heero and Quatre that day. And even here in this room you admitted that you always loved him. You never cared for me. I was exactly what you needed to make Heero jealous. And now that you have what you wanted all along it's time to get rid of me."

"How can you say that?" Relena could feel the tears start to sting her eyes. She knew that things were going to get ruff, but she had no idea that Daniel could be so cruel. She never took him as the type to say such things about her. "You're wrong Daniel, I do care for you. I never used you, how could you say something like that?"

"Save it Relena, I don't want to hear it. I never thought that you could be such a vindictive person when it comes to someone's feelings. I guess the people are lucky that they don't know the real you." Daniel walked toward the door then stopped. Without looking back at Relena he spoke his parting words before he left.. "I hope you'll be happy with the decision you made. Goodbye, Relena."

   <<<<<<<>>>>>>>

Heero watched Daniel speed down the drive of the estate. Once he was out of site Heero went to find Relena. It looked as though things had not gone well, and he wanted to make sure that she was ok. Heero found Relena still in her study sitting in her chair at the desk. She looked up at him as he entered then looked away.

"He was horrible." Relena whispered trying to keep the tremble out of her voice.

"Did you tell him?" The room was silent for a few moments. "I'll take that as a no."

"I just couldn't. You must think I'm a coward."

"You're not a coward Relena. You're just in a situation that you never been in before and you're scared."

Relena laughed with a hit of bitterness in it. "And I bet you're thinking that I'm a fool for getting into this situation."

"Relena I've never judged you, and I'm not going to start now. Not unless you have no plans on telling Daniel about the baby."

Relena got out of her chair and crossed the room to Heero. Once reaching him she wrapped her arms around his waist and laid her head on his shoulder. Heero slowly enveloped her in a hug and smiled slightly when Relena sighed. To each other it felt right to be in the others arms. And at that moment Heero knew what he had to do.

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>

Later that night when Heero secured the grounds with the security crew that was working that night, and he knew that Relena was sound asleep, Heero slipped out of the house and preceded to drive to Daniel's condo. He was hoping that the two of them could come up with a compromise about Relena and the baby. Heero knew for certain that he wanted Relena in his life, and was preparing himself for the role of being a father figure in her child's life. 

Once reaching his destination Heero got out of his car and walked up to the door. After knocking he reached into his pocket and felt for Relena's engagement ring. After he had his talk with Daniel he would make that the ring was returned.

After a few seconds Daniel opened the door and a glare instantly formed on his face. "What are you doing here Yuy?"

"Can we talk?"

Daniel nodded then moved aside motioning for Heero to enter. Heero slowly walked into Daniel's home looking around. He had always been curious as to how the man lived. And now as he looked around the spacious, but clean house Heero instantly took notice of a few boxes lying around. Turning to face Daniel he gave him a questioning look. 

"Leaving town?"

"You can say that. When I was out of town I was offered a new position at a Hospital in London. I wasn't going to take it because of 'other reasons', but since things changed I decided to take the job." Daniel walked over and sat down in an armchair by the couch and asked Heero to sit. 

Heero slowly sat down eyeing the man sitting not far from him. "You're leaving without even trying to fix things with Relena?"

Daniel leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms. "There's nothing to fix. She loves you. She may care for me, but I don't want to be in a relationship that our feelings are not mutual for each other. I love her deeply, but I'm not going to fight to keep her in my life when she desires to be with someone else."

"When do you leave for London?" 

"Tomorrow morning. They want me to fill the position quickly. I have a friend taking care of my stuff for me. I just thought that I would get things started before the movers come in a few days." Daniel shifted in his chair, being under Heero's gaze for so long was starting to unnerve him. "So Heero, what's your reason for coming over here?"

Heero reached into his pocked and pulled out the engagement ring and tossed it on the coffee table in front of both men. He watched Daniel lean forward and take the ring to look at it. Daniel smirked and held the ring tightly in his hand.

"Just promise me that you'll take good care of her." Daniel laughed bitterly. "Hell what am I saying, of course you'll take care of her. You nearly died protecting her, and I know that you'll do everything in your power to make sure she's safe."

Heero kept his cool demeanor as he watched Daniel stare at the ring once more. "Relena told me what you said about her."

Daniel sighed as he shook his head slowly. "I never meant those things. I was a bit upset with everything. But I still never should have said those words to her."

The room grew quiet once more, and Heero decided that now was the best time to tell Daniel his true reason for being there that night. "Relena's pregnant."

Daniel's eyes grew wide as he stared at Heero in shock. "But I thought that you two...and we were so careful."

"We haven't." Heero smirked at Daniels look of direst. "Relena gave me the long lecture on how you two were careful. But it seems that the two of you were part of the unlucky percentage."

Daniel's face paled as he slumped down in his chair slightly. "What am I going to do? I already took the job, I can't go back on my word now." Daniel covered his face with his hands then rubbed his temples. "Is she sure?" Heero nodded to his question. "Wh...what does she expect of me?"  Daniel got up out of his chair and started to pace a small area by the couch Heero was sitting on. "What does she want me to do?" Daniel stopped and looked at Heero. "Why didn't she tell me?"

"She tried. As for your other questions, I don't know."

Daniel sat back down in his chair. He knew that things wouldn't work out between him and Relena, but he had to make sure that his child would be in a loving environment. "Do you really love Relena, Heero?"

Heero locked eyes with Daniel. "It's the only thing that I'm sure about in my life."

"Would you marry her?" Daniel waited for Heero's reply. He could see the answer already in the other man's eyes, but he wanted to hear Heero to admit what they both already knew.

Heero's eyes narrowed slightly as he wondered where Daniel was taking this conversation. "When it comes to that, then I would."

Daniel smirked then leaned forward in his chair. "Would you like a drink Heero? We have some talking to do."