Shattered Dreams Chapter 2

 

Relena sighed and walked off of the stage after finishing her speech. A few people wanted to engage in idle chat with her but she was in a hurry to get back to her hotel room. She had that old feeling of being watched from the shadows of the large auditorium, a feeling that she hasn't had in over a year now.  She quickly left the building and found Pagan parked not faraway. She quickly got into the limo. Pagan had offered to look up and see how Heero was doing but Relena refused. If Heero had wanted to have any socialization with her then he wouldn't have left the Sanc Kingdom. She was still in shock that when they were dividing up the assets Heero had wanted nothing. He had signed over everything to her then took off to who knows where. She hasn't even heard anything about him since then either. 

It has been more than a year since she seen him. And that long since she had the feeling that he was watching over her, that is until today. She was in Brussels as a guest of the Minister of Affairs. He had asked her to give a speech about how well the terriformation project on Mars was going. She was more than happy to since she was currently dating his son. Maybe she really felt it as an obligation to the older man because of that reason. She quickly scratched that thought out of mind. Obligation was not a word that would be used or thought of in her vocabulary anymore. That word and meaning tore her world apart in the first place.

Once reaching the hotel she quickly went to her room. She walked over the dresser and opened the top drawer and pulled out a small box. She opened it then dumped the contents out on the bed. Two rings fell out, her wedding band and engagement ring. Heero's wedding band had disappeared out of her office that same week that she received the signed divorce papers.

Relena laid down on the bed holding the rings tightly in her hand. She let herself freely cry for the fist time in months. He was there watching her, she has always known when he was close by. She had missed the feeling of being under his watch. She just wished that she could have seen him even for a second. But that wasn't even possible because when they were married and he was watching over her she never saw him.

She dried her eyes and sat up. She placed the rings back in the box and placed it on the nightstand nearby. She would see him soon enough. Duo and Hilde were getting married next month and she had been informed that Heero was going to be Duo's best man. She was worried about what Millardo may do when he seen Heero because the two of them had never exchanged words about what happened and he would get his chance then. She just hoped that the two of them didn't ruin the wedding for Duo and Hilde.

She heard a knock on her door she got up and looked through the peep hole and smiled. She opened the door and hugged the man on the other side. 

"Damon, I'm so glad that your here."

"Really? I came to make sure that you make you flight safely."

Relena smiled again and kissed him on the cheek. She had feelings for this man but it was nothing in comparison for what she had felt, and still felt for Heero. 

"I also wanted to let you know that I would be honored to escort you to your friends wedding next month."

Relena looked happy. She didn't' want Heero to think that she was still alone. She wanted him to see that she moved on. But jut the thought of seeing Heero again made he heart pound. "That's so sweet of you. I'm glad that you could get some time off to come with me."

"Well, I have been wanting to meet your friends. And I guess I'm curious about meeting the other four gundam pilots in person."

"Ah, one of those male ego things." Relena teased him.

Damon chuckled. "Most guys would like to compare themselves to those five young men."

'Youíre a kind man Damon but your nothing in comparison to...stop it Relena! Stop thinking about him, its been more than a year now!' Relena smiled and went to get her suitcase. "I should have done this earlier so you wouldn't have to wait for me."

"I don't mind waiting. I would offer my help, but I know that a woman likes to pack her own things."

Relena pulled her suitcase out of the closet and Damon walked over and took it from her and carried it to the bed and laid it down for her. Relena smiled to herself. She was was happy that she met someone like Damon. The man was six years older than her and handled their relationship responsibly. She liked the change of pace of being with a mature man. And she was thankful that he wasn't demanding on their relationship. They had a close bond in friendship and not a sexual one.

There were times Damon could bore her to death. She guessed that with the life that she had from the day that she met Heero had spoiled her to liking excitement in her life every once in a while. And Damon wasn't the type of man that would go and self destruct a mobil suit while he was in it, nor would he go anywhere near one being a pacifist. 

"So Damon you know a gundam pilot then."

"No ,not really I was only introduced to him once a couple of months ago. He's in charge of the Preventers offices here in Brussels. What did he say his name was.... oh yes Heero Yuy"

Relena about dropped the things that she was carrying to pack. 'Heero's here in Brussels!' She felt like she was fifteen again and trying to track him down just to see him. 'I knew it, I knew that you were watching me tonight.'

"Are you ok Relena?" He placed a hand gently on her arm.

"Yes, I'm fine, it's just that I haven't seen Heero in a while. Do you know how he's faring with this city?"

Damon smiled. "He praised us on our ability to act quickly in a crisis. I've heard that that's a good compliment coming from him. But I would guess that he and his wife enjoy it here."

"Wife?" The word struggled to get out. She couldn't believe what she just heard. She could still hear Damon talking but all she could think about was the possibility of Heero being married. She felt that heartbreaking pain wash over her again. 'There is no need to get upset Relena, youíre not married to him anymore. And he is entitled to be with someone else, but still.'  She could feel herself getting ready to cry. "Damon would you mind waiting downstairs in the lobby for me, I'll be down in a few minutes."

"Not at all." He kissed her on the cheek. "I'll see you in a few minutes."

Relena waited for him leave. Once the door closed she fell to her knees and cried uncontrollably. 'He can't be married, he just can't be.'