Shattered Dreams Chapter 3

 

Relena held Damon's hand as they entered the restaurant where Duo and Hilde's rehearsal dinner was being held. She was beyond nervous knowing that in just a few short moments she would see Heero. She looked back to see Millardo and Noin following not far behind. Once they entered the banquet room she smiled as she heard Quatre making a statement on how lucky Duo was to have a friend like him that was willing to pay for the hotel stay of all of the wedding guests. She looked around the room and her eyes rested on the table where Duo and Hilde were. But it was one person in particular that she couldn't take her eyes off of.

As they walked closer to congratulate Duo and Hilde she could feel hear heart flutter. Heero had grown slightly taller and filled out some. She blushed as she thought about the new areas that needed to be explored but quickly got snapped out of her thoughts when Duo threw his arms around her.

"Thanks for coming Relena." Duo smiled at her. "So who did you bring?" He whispered in her ear as Hilde hugged her.

"Duo, Hilde this is Damon Larson, Damon this is Duo Maxwell, the groom and Hilde Schbeiker the bride." Relena shivered as soon as she finished. She could feel Heero's gaze on her.

"Well, nice to meet you." Duo shook his hand. "Feel free to make yourself at home with us, we're noting but one big extended family anyway."

"Yah right." a voice rang out and laughter could be heard around the room. Relena giggled when she took notice it was Wufei that spoke up. 

"Good looking guy Relena, you should hold on to this one." Hilde winked at her.

Relena smiled at her then looked past Duo to see that Heero was still staring at her. She took a few steps toward him. "Hello Heero." She was hoping for him to smile or to shake her hand, but instead he just sat there and continued to stare at her.

Heero looked over at her date then back to her. "Relena." His voice was cold and uncaring. 

Relena could clearly tell that he wasn't going to strike up a conversation with her so she walked back over to where Damon and her brother were. She couldn't explain why she was upset. She should have known that he would act like that.

Once the dinner started she was able to relax some around the people that she knew and loved. But there was always the feeling of Heero watching her. She glanced back once to see that Duo had a hold of Heero's left hand. She could feel the tears that wanted to come when she got a good look at the gold band that was on his ring finger.

 

"What in the hell is up with this?" Duo said as he grabbed Heero's left hand. 

Heero pulled his hand away from Duo and shrugged. "It's to remind me."

"To remind you? Geez Heero most people don't continue to wear their wedding band for a reminder of their previous marriage. Besides I thought that you gave it to Relena?"

"I took it back."

"I can see that. What did you do march into her office and demand her to give it back?" Heero shook his head. "Oh shit you stole it didn't' you."

"It was mine to take back." Heero snapped at him.

Duo placed a hand on Heero's shoulder and leaned toward him while looking at Relena. "You should tell her how you feel Heero before it's too late. I think that she's pretty close to that guy that she came with. Besides maybe the two of you can work things out."

Heero looked up to see Relena laughing at something that was said at her table. 'No if she wanted to work things out then she never would have smacked those divorce papers on me.' He shrugged Duo's hand off of his shoulder and stood up. "I need a drink." He then walked over to the bar that was in the restaurant.

Duo shook his head in disappointment as he watched Heero sit down at the bar and order a drink. 'When did he start drinking?'

 

Millardo glanced up to see Heero making his way across the room. "Excuse me everyone." He stood up and walked over to where Heero was. "Yuy."

Heero glanced over to his right. "Zechs."

"I guess that I should thank you for giving Relena the divorce so fast. Even if I still want to smash your face in for what you did." Zechs smirked.

"It was an accident, I didn't mean for it to happen, but I doubt that you'll believe that."

"You're right." Millardo looked over at the table where he was sitting at to see Noin watching them. 

"Zechs have you checked the background on the guy she's seeing?"

Millardo chuckled and leaned against the bar so he could see Heero's face. "What's it to you?" He watched as Heero glared at him then took a drink. "There is only one flaw with that man that I don't like." Heero looked up at him still holding the glass. "He's older than I am. But there are a lot of good qualities about him." Millardo leaned closer. "He would never raise a hand to my sister. And would be more than considerate and marry her for love" 

Heero slammed the glass down on the bar and shot him a murderous glare. The noise caused everyone to stop their talking to look at the two men.

"Oh shit." Duo's voice carried across the room.

Millardo placed a hand on Heero's shoulder. "I promised that I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize the wedding. We will have another time and place to finish this conversation." He then walked away.

Heero looked over his left shoulder to follow Millardo back to his table. He saw Relena look over at him then turn her attention to her brother as he sat down.

 

"Millardo." Relena crossed her arms.

"We had a normal conversation Relena." Millardo said as he sat down beside Lucrezia who was giving him a look that said I don't trust you.

"It depends on what you call normal. And that didn't look normal." Relena snapped at him.

"I thanked him for giving you the divorce so fast."

"Millardo!" Noin was in shock.

Relena glared at her brother. "I can't believe you! You promised."

Damon raised an eyebrow and glanced over at Heero. 'So your the one.'

Lucrezia smacked her hands down on the table. "Drop it now the both of you. You can discuss this when we get home."

Damon got up and left the table. They were all too busy to take notice that he even left anyway. He walked up to the bar where Millardo had been standing then took a seat next to Heero.

Heero looked to see who sat down beside him then turned his eyes back to the drink in front of him. 'What does he want?'

"My name is Damon Larson, we met before. My father is the Minister of Affairs in Brussels." He extended his hand

Heero looked over at him then nodded once before looking away, never shaking his hand.

Damon continued to stare at Heero and shook his head. He was completely surprised that Relena could marry someone as cold as the man that was sitting beside him. Damon looked back at the table to see that everyone was still talking and he thought about something that Relena had once told him. She had mentioned that she still had deep feelings for her ex husband. He looked at Heero once again. He had to make sure that Heero had no plans of ever coming after Relena again.

"I've never had the pleasure of meeting your wife yet. I hope I get the chance one day."

Heero looked at the ring on his left hand and smirked. "That's funny, you've been sitting next to her all evening."

Damon looked a little shocked. He had heard that Heero was currently married. 'So you're living on the past then?'  He then chuckled. "No what's really funny is the fact that she doesn't see you as her husband, you're in the past. She has never even spoken of you when she's with me. I guess that you weren't much of a husband then."

Heero leaped out of his seat and grabbed Damon by his suit jacket and slammed him against the wall that was to their right. Damon's eyes went wide. He was completely taken back by the strength of the young man. He tried to move but took notice that his feet weren't even touching the ground.

Duo looked over at the bar just in time to see the action. He ran over to them and grabbed Heero's arm. "Heero let him go."

Heero's eyes clearly showed off the anger that was boiling inside of him. His heated voice sent a small shiver of fear through Damon. "If you ever hurt her in any way, I will kill you."

Duo pulled on Heero's arm again. "Heero the entire room is watching you. Do you really want Relena to see you beat up her new boyfriend? Let him go."

Heero released his grip and Damon dropped to the ground. Heero glared at him then left the restaurant.

Duo gave an apologetic look to Damon then took off after Heero. "Heero wait up." Heero kept walking so Duo had to run to catch up. He placed a hand on Heero's shoulder to stop him. "Damnit Heero what was that back there? I certainly hope that your actions just a few moments ago isn't a part of a plan to get Relena back because I know for a fact that she doesn't like her friends threatened."

Heero looked at the hand on his shoulder then looked Duo in the face. "Let go Duo."

"Ok fine." Duo pulled his hand back. As soon as he did so Heero turned and continued to walk off. "Where are you going?"

"I need time to think."

 Duo sighed and watched Heero walk down the sidewalk "You better show up tomorrow! And be on time!" 

Heero kept walking deep in thought. He stopped when he seen a bench at a bus stop and sat down. 'That's it isn't it. Those papers were a test from you and I failed miserably. You were hoping that I would have fought the divorce. Why do I screw everything up all the time? Why can't I tell her the truth?' His thoughts were broken with the sounds of a bus stopping. Heero got up and looked back down the street where the restaurant was "I'm sorry." He whispered then got on the bus to let it take him anywhere but where she was at the moment.