Shattered Dreams Chapter 4

 

After wandering around the city all night Heero finally made his way back to the hotel where everyone was staying. It was nearly seven thirty and he knew that they would be getting up soon. He walked over to a couch in the lobby and sat down and let his mind once again wander to thoughts of Relena and their marriage.

No matter how many times he thought about it he just couldn't see what in the world he did wrong. He married her because he wanted to protect her. Wasn't wanting to protect her considered an act of love? He had told her a few times that he loved her and he knew now that he never really expressed it when he said it, but he truly meant it. He thought that maybe to her it must have been like the only reason he said it was because it was a part of marriage, it was expected. And if it was true she was wrong.

He let his eyes drift to the elevator from time to time waiting for everyone to come downstairs. They were all supposed to have breakfast together before they took the bride and groom their separate was to get them ready for the wedding early that afternoon.

He looked around the lobby and finally stopped on a man with long blond hair and piercing light blue eyes that was staring back at him. 'Great just what I need.' He watched as Millardo walked over to him.

"I see that you're up." Millardo said as he took a seat across from Heero.

Heero just stared at him. If the older man wanted to fight he would be ready.

"Or can I take it by the way that your dressed you never even made it to you room last night?"

"Why would you care?" Heero snapped at him.

"Now Yuy, we're supposed to be on our best behavior and not fight." Millardo leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms.

"The only way to keep us from getting there is to not have a confrontation. And since I was here first Zechs, you should leave."

Millardo smirked. "I have to say what you did to Damon last night was the most entertaining part of the evening. I'm curious as to what he's going to say to his father about their head Preventer officer when he gets back to Brussels."

Heero glared at Millardo. "If he were a real man he wouldn't have to go running home to daddy to tattle."

Millardo broke out laughing. As much as he hated to admit it Heero was right. He also took Damon as the type of person that would run to daddy, even at his age. "Why don't we ditch the group and have a real talk man to man? I want to know about a few things."

Heero was stunned by his actions but nodded in agreement and they both walked out into the crowd of early morning commuters heading toward work.

They walked down the street quietly watching each other until they came to a small cafe not far from the hotel. The both sat down at a booth by the only window and ordered a cup of coffee. They either stared at their coffee cups or glanced out the window rarely ever looking at each other. But for the past five minutes Millardo has been watching every move that the so-called perfect soldier made with new curiosity.

"You were in love with her then. And you're in love with her now."

Heero locked eyes with the man across from him. "What makes you think that?"

"They way that you acted with Damon, and that." He pointed at the ring on Heero's finger.

Heero glanced down at the ring and shrugged. "It's nothing I just haven't taken it off."

"Don't lie. I know damn well that you had it delivered to Relena with the papers. It's a the fact that you have it now and she doesn't."

Heero glared at him. "This was a bad idea." He started to get up when Millardo placed a hand on his arm. 

"I lied to you yesterday about her boyfriend." Millardo gave a slight smile as Heero sat back down. "I don't like him." He could tell that Heero wanted an explanation as to why. "Let's just say that I believe that he has something up his sleeve. I haven't figured it out yet. I just hope that I'm wrong so Relena doesn't get hurt."

Heero pulled a folded paper out of his back pocket of his jeans. "I ran a check on his family last night."

"I figured you would." Millardo smirked. 

"I went back as far as I could until the trail went cold. I couldn't find anything that would suspect that he or his father is up to anything." Heero handed the paper to Millardo.

He looked over the paper than looked at Heero who was watching people passing by outside. "I was angry when I got a good look at the bruise on her cheek that night." Heero continued to stare out the window. "She didn't want the divorce. I pushed her toward it after she told me about the conversation between you and Maxwell. I convinced her that it would be a way to test how much you really cared for her." Heero finally looked at him.

"What's you point to all of this?"  Heero snapped at him.

"When you hit her, did you have hate behind it?"

Heero stared at his now empty coffee cup. "No, I can't explain what came over me. I didn't do it with the intention to harm her. It just happened." He looked away in shame.

Millardo stood up and threw some money down on the table. "Come on." Heero gave him questionable look as he stood up. "I want to run another background check using the Preventers main computer system. I'm still not happy with this." He held up the paper. "I could use you help."

"You want my help?" 

"I wouldn't have asked if I wasn't serious. Let's get going."

"The main computer is an hour drive from here." Heero glanced at the clock on the diner wall. "It's almost nine now, Duo's wedding is in four hours."

Millardo smirked. "What, don't you have confidence in you hacking skills?" Heero just stared at him. "Lets just say that I have the same confidence in my driving skills. Well be back in time. If not, it's not only your head that will get ripped off."

 

ߪªªªªßªªªªªßªªªªªßªªªªªß

 

Relena glanced around the dinning room looking for Millardo. Everyone was here except the two people that she cared about most in this world.

"What's wrong?" Lucrezia asked as she leaned toward her.

"Where's Millardo?"

"He got up this morning and said that there was some things that he needed to take care of and that he would be back before the wedding." Lucrezia watched her reaction. "Millardo isn't the only thing, or shall I say person that you're worried about?"

Relena nodded "Heero's not here."

Lucrezia looked around the room. 'Zechs you better not be with Heero.'

Both of them looked at Duo, who obviously had also taken notice of the two missing people. He walked over to them. "Where's Zechs?"

"He went out, but will be back later." Lucrezia smiled and placed a hand on his arm.

"And Heero?'

Both Relena and Lucrezia shook their heads. 

"Is it possible that the two of them could be together? No scratch that idea, they have a hard enough time being within fifty feet of each other." Duo watched the two women smile weakly at him. 

"Did you check his room?" Relena asked.

Duo shook his head. "There was no need for that he was bunking with me and he never came in last night."

"What's going on?" Damon cut in.

"Nothing for you to nose in about." Duo snapped at him then walked off. 

"You have very interesting friends Relena. Anyone that gets around your ex gets grumpy." He completely ignored the hurt and angry look on her face.

"He didn't mean it Damon. This is a stressful day for Hilde and Duo."

"You don't need to apologize for your friends Relena. Everyone has their bad days right?"

She stared at him totally shocked. He had never acted this way with her before. Ever since Heero had him pinned against the wall he has been acting weird.

Damon watched her out of the corner of his eyes. He would have to call his father when he got to chance to let him know that they had a problem. And they had to plan on how to eliminate that problem.