Shattered Dreams Chapter 6

 

He shouldn't have stayed. That's the only thought that kept running through his mind as he watched Damon and Relena. He had a feeling that she was flaunting herself with that man just to see if she got a reaction out of him. Heero made damn sure that she didn't get what she wanted.

Everything about the reception was fine until Duo and Hilde left to catch their flight for the honeymoon. Everyone in the room would watch Heero and Millardo knowing that since the wedding was over, and with Duo and Hilde gone their promises to behave was now over. But they surprised the room by staying away from each other as much as possible. 

There was one point that everyone considered the highlight of the party. And that was when Hilde threw the bouquet. The women scrambling for the flowers was by far very enjoying. But when Relena wound up catching them Heero's smirk disappeared when he seen Damon kiss her. Yes he wanted to walk over there and beat the shit out of the man but held his ground. 

Millardo had made his way over to Heero sometime during the commotion. 

"I think that all we can do now is to wait until he does something."

Heero looked at him and shook his head. "No, he'll make damn sure that never happens. Unless he really is a good boy."

"I doubt that. You didn't see the way that he looked at me today after we had a little talk."

Both men looked back at Relena to see her smiling.

"She does a good job putting on a show for you. If it is a show." Millardo crossed his arms. "Not that I want my sister to wind up with you again anyway." He watched Heero out of the corner of his eye. "But I have got to admit it's better than him." He smacked Heero on the back and walked off to find Lucrezia.

Heero sat down at the head table and grabbed another glass of champaign as a waiter walked by. Yes she was putting on a good show and he was finally sick if it and was on his eight drink that evening. The way that she let Damon hold her, kiss her neck, whisper words that made her laugh. He decided that instead of going out on the dance floor and shattering every bone that the man had, he would have a few drinks and then leave. "Here's to only miserable person in this room." He toasted then took a drink. As far as he could tell he was the only miserable person there. 

"You don't really mean that do you?"

There was no need to look he knew who it was. "What do you want?" He continued to watch the few people on the dance floor.

Relena felt disappointed with the tone that he used. "I came over to ask if you would like to dance with me, but I can tell that you would rather nurse that drink."

Heero shrugged his shoulders. "I don't feel like dancing."

"Fine, I can see that. I guess that you probably don't want me worrying about you either."

Heero stood up quickly and glared at her. "You gave up that right the day that you threw me out of your house, and sealed it with the divorce papers." 

Relena was hurt by his words. She had no idea that he viewed it that way, or maybe he had too much to drink and was just blurting things out. "Fine then Heero. If that's the way that you feel then I'll make sure that I stay out of your way so I don't need to worry." She walked off leaving him stunned.

'What in the world just happen?' Heero shook his head and watched Relena as she walked away. 'You blew it Heero.'

Heero took one last look at everyone then walked out of the large tent that the reception was being held in. It was dark out now and the stars were hidden by the clouded sky. He walked until he found a bench that was by a small lake nearby and sat down. 

"Why do I always let my anger get the better of me?" 

He thought for a few minutes pondering over what happened and decided that his best course of action was to get his ass back in there, dance with her and apologize. Then when he got the chance, get her out of the tent and have a serious talk. After all of that he would open his heart completely and tell her his true feelings for her.

He stood up and headed back toward the tent and stopped when he heard two voices drifting toward him. He held his breath as he recognized Relena voice, and eyes narrowed when Damon's was heard.

 

ߪªªªªßªªªªªßªªªªªßªªªªªß

 

Damon held Relena's hand as they walked toward the lake. He knew that with the fun that they had together tonight he wouldn't get a better chance to ask her what he has wanted to ask her for weeks now.

"Damon, you said that there was something that you wanted to talk about?"

"Yes, actually I have been thinking about our relationship."

"Really?"

He stopped and faced her. "Relena I would like to take our relationship a step further." Relena just stared at him. "I have always supported you and your ideals even before Romafeller decided to use you as their pawn. I believed in you and what you were trying to accomplish. I knew that I loved you since the first time that I seen you."

"Damon I...." Relena was totally shocked. She blushed as he got down on one knee and pulled out a small ring box.

"Relena will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

She didn't know what to say as she watched him open the box. She gasped as she seen the beautifully designed diamond ring. There was a shadow that moved behind Damon that caught her attention. She looked up to get a better look. Even though the moon wasn't out she could make out Heero's features from the faint light from the reception tent.

"Heero."

Damon quickly stood up and turned around to face him.

There was an unnerving silence that stood between the three people. Relena seen Damon tense up as Heero approached them slowly. 

"I guess congratulations are in order." Heero hissed at the both of them. He held his hand out in front of her. "Here."

Relena reached out and opened her hand. She felt something drop in it and she pulled her hand back to look. Her eyes went wind in recognition.

"It looks like the two of you can use that more that I do." Heero brushed past her and headed back to toward the tent.

He heart was pounding so rapidly she could hear it in her ears. She stared at the ring in disbelief. "He had it all this time." she whispered. 'If he had it then that meant.' She looked up to see where Heero went. "Heero!" She started to head toward the tent when she felt Damon grab her arm.

"Relena let him go."

"Let me go! You don't understand what this means." 

"It means that he understands that we're together."

"You, you told me that he was married." Relena held the ring tightly in her fist.

"Isn't he?"

"You lied to me." She smacked him with her other hand.

Damon grabbed her arms so she wouldn't walk off. "Listen to me! I thought that he was married."

"Let me go Damon!"

"Relena please."

"I said let go!"

"I'd let go of the lady if I were you." A voice called out from the dark.

Damon looked up to see one of Heero's friends standing just a few feet away. He let go of her arms and Relena quickly moved away.

"Thank you Trowa." Relena looked back at Damon. "No one ever grabs me like that!" She could feel tears start to build in her eyes as she thought about the last time that she was grabbed forcefully. "Trowa have you seen Heero?"

He shook his head. "Why don't you go and see if he went back to the party." Trowa never took his eyes off of Damon as he listened to Relena walk off. "I think that it would be wise if you got out of here before Zechs or Heero finds out. I don't want to have to call you father and explain to him why his son is dead."

Damon watched Relena's retreating form then smirked at Trowa as soon as she was out of sight. "I wouldn't have hurt her." Trowa just stared at him. "I didn't mean to upset her." Still there was no response from Trowa. The way that the young man was staring at him made him feel nervous. "Please tell her that I'm sorry." When there still was no response Damon turned around and left quietly.