Shattered Dreams Chapter 7

 

Relena ran as fast as she could toward the tent. She walked into the tent to see that most guests had gone home, and Heero wasn't anywhere to be seen.  Quatre was nearby talking to one of the daughters of a business associate of Duo's and Hilde's.

"Excuse me." She smiled at the young girl. "Quatre have you seen Heero?"

"No I haven't. Is every thing ok?"

Relena continued to look at the faces that were around her. "No, I need to talk to Heero."

"Woman." Relena recognized the voice and turned around to face Wufei. "What did you do to Yuy?"

"What are you talking about!" Relena snapped at him.

"He told Une that he would be handing in his resignation tomorrow as soon as he could type it up. Then he left muttering your name and grumbling about that man of yours." He smirked at Relena's reaction.

She stared at him in disbelief. 'No, Heero wouldn't do that.' She looked over at Lady Une to see her talking to Lucrezia and Millardo. Millardo looked at her and excused himself from the ladies and walked over to her.

"Relena where's Damon?"

"I don't know. Trowa probably chased him off." She started to walk away. 

"Relena." He grabbed her gently by the wrist. "What do you mean by that?"

"I can't talk now Millardo, I need to find Heero." She tried to pull her hand out of his grasp. 

" Relena if that pathetic thing that you call a boyfriend hurt you, you better tell me now."

"He...I don't have time to talk about this right now."

Millardo tightened his grip. "You're not leaving."

"Millardo please." 

The pleading look in her eyes made him let go of her hand and she took off out of the tent. Millardo boiled with anger with the thought of what Damon may have done to Relena he quickly went to find Trowa

Relena ran to where she could catch a taxi. She knew that Heero had to head back to the hotel to get his stuff. She stood at the cub waiting and after a few minutes and no taxis she decided to start to run there. Even if the hotel was a few miles she wasn't going to let it stop her, but she hoped to run into a taxi soon. Relena pulled off her dress shoes and threw them on the ground then took off in the direction where the hotel was. 'Please be there when I get there.'

 

ߪªªªªßªªªªªßªªªªªßªªªªªß

 

Heero threw his stuff into his duffel bag. He was glad that he didn't bring much it made it easier to pack and to get the hell out of there. He would have to find another place to stay until he could go and talk to Une in the morning. He had to apologize for his outburst. 

'Damn, I shouldn't have walked away.'

Even if she said yes or no, Heero knew that he couldn't stay in Brussels. He would have to transfer somewhere else. Maybe he would finally head back to outer space. He zipped up his bag and walked out the door to head to the lobby. After handing his key card in he asked the desk to call a taxi for him. He walked over to small bar in the dining area and sat down and ordered a drink. 

As he started to think about things, he started to get mad at himself. Instead of running around with Zechs and looking for things to scar Damon off he should have been considering that he would be moving in on his territory. 

God he had so many chances tonight to pull Relena aside and to tell her the truth about his feelings. Instead he let the feeling of jealousy take over and he sat on his ass and let every chance slip by as he tried to get himself drunk. 

And to add to his list of failures, walking away from the scene of them together outside didn't help him much either. He heard everything, she didn't say yes or no. He should have confessed right there in front of Damon. 

As he took a drink her remembered the toast that he made, and the words that he spoke to her. He shook his head. What a fool he had been to have said those things to her. The look on her face didn't even faze him then, but now his heart was aching that he said such a thing to her.

"I'm sorry Relena." He closed his eyes and sighed. He wished her the best of luck and happiness no matter whom she was with.

He heard his name called out that his ride had arrived. He finished the drink and placed the money under the glass then grabbed his bag and headed to catch his ride.

Heero opened the door and threw his bag in and sat down and closed the door. "Are you up for a long drive, I'll pay you double."

"Sure." The driver turned around "Where to?"

"Preventer Headquarters."

"No problem there." The man smiled and drove off. 

 

ߪªªªªßªªªªªßªªªªªßªªªªªß

 

Relena jumped out of the taxi as soon as it pulled up at the hotel and went straight to the reception desk.  She could hear the driver yelling at her about his money but it didn't stop her. 

The woman that was working smiled at her. "Can I help you."

"I would like you to call Heero Yuy's room and see if he's in."

"Did you say Heero Yuy?" Relena nodded. "He checked out just a few minutes ago, and was waiting for a taxi."

Relena's eyes went wide, she remember that there was a taxi pulling away when her ride was pulling up.  She ran back outside and looked in the direction that taxi had gone. There were so many cars passing by the hotel that she couldn't even tell if any of the ones further down the street was the taxi that Heero was in. 

"Heero."

The taxi driver walked over to her and tapped her on the shoulder. "Excuse me, I need you to pay me so I can get out of here."

"Sir, how much does she owe you?" A male voice spoke from behind her.

"Twelve."

"Here keep the change......Relena."

Relena knew who was standing behind her. She turned around to face him. "Thank you for the cab fare Damon, I'll pay you back."

"There's no need for that Relena." He took a few steps toward her and she backed up.

"Damon, it would be best if you didn't come near me."

"I need to talk to you."

She shook her head. "No, no talking. You don't have anything to say that I would be interested in hearing right now."

"Relena. I swear to you that I wasn't lying. Everyone in Brussels thought that he was married. Hell he wore that ring all the time. I didn't know the truth until yesterday."

The ring, she still held it tightly in her hand. He had worn it all this time. She knew that Heero had to have cared for her when they got married. And the fact that he must have snuck into her office to get the ring back meant that he must have cared more than she thought. She had to know if he truly did love her. Heero had always had a hard time admitting things to people. Perhaps that day he just didn't want to admit to Duo that he loved her. All she knew was she had to find him.

"Relena, what about us? What about what I asked you?"

"Damon, I can't promise you anything. Despite what happened earlier, youíre a good man. I love Heero, I always have. If there is a chance for me and him to patch things up then I need to know."

Damon looked down at the ground. "I understand." He knew that there was no possible way to change her mind right now. "I wish you the best of luck then. I'm heading back to Brussels tonight so if you need me for anything let me know. I'll be more than happy to help."

"Thank you for understanding Damon." Relena smiled and walked back into the hotel to head toward her room.

Damon watched her get on the elevator. His eyes narrowed with the thought of Relena with Heero again. 'I'll make sure that you pay for taking her from me.'