Shattered Dreams Chapter 8

 

Relena sighed as she looked out one of the windows of her estate watching as guests arrived for the New Years Eve party that she had decided to host. She wanted to do this for the people that she worked with, and her friends and family, who help her the best that they could to try to find Heero for her. It has been four long months and they had nothing but the information that Lady Une had given them. 

Lady Une had told them that Heero had showed up at Preventer Headquarters the same night as Duo and Hilde's wedding. He waited there, knowing that she would return to the offices before she headed home for the night. He apologized for his comment and had volunteered to check out a few questionable uprising groups within the colonies and left. She would get reports sent over secured lines from him every so often, never stating where he was going next. She always knew where he had been thanks to the reports.

But just last week Une had said that she spoke to Heero for a short time, and had mentioned that Relena was having a party. And it was that bit of information that Relena hoped Heero would show up tonight.

Relena pulled on a loose fitting blue knitted sweater over her white turtleneck and walked out of room she was in to go to the large living area where her guests would be. She smiled as she entered the room. More people had showed up than she thought would on this cold day. She had thought that not that many people but her closest friends and family would show with the snow that they were getting outside. 

She walked around the room and greeted her guests and finally found herself standing next to Lucrezia and Millardo. She smiled and leaned toward Lucrezia. "Has he even asked you yet?" Lucrezia actually blushed and shook her head. Relena smiled and placed a hand on her arm. "He's just waiting for the right time then, but you better look surprised when he does or I'll get it."

"Don't worry." Lucrezia smiled. 

"I can't wait for you to be my sister-in-law." If she couldn't be happy for herself she was going to be ecstatic for them. 

"What are the two of you talking about?" Millardo started at the two glowing women if fount of him.

"We were talking about Duo and Hilde and how great they are together." Relena gave her brother a hug and winked at him.

Lucrezia spoke up as she grabbed Millardo by the arm. "Why don't we show the guest where the food is." She dragged him off to the two large sliding mahogany doors and opened them to give everyone the view of the dining room and the large buffet that was made for the thirty some guest that was there.

Relena sighed then jumped as she felt someone tap her shoulder. She spun around to see Trowa standing behind her. He had a woman standing beside him who smiled at her. "Relena, I don't think that you ever got the chance to meet Catherine."

Catherine extended her hand. "Hi I'm Trowa's sister Catherine Bloom."

Relena happily shook hands with her. "I'm please to meet you Catherine, I'm Relena Yu....er Darlian."

Trowa raised and eyebrow and smiled at her little slip up.

Catherine looked at Trowa. "I'm pleased to meet you. If the two of you will excuse me I'm going to apologize to Quatre and Duo for the way that I treated them the last time that I saw them."

"Cathy, that was long ago. They didn't take it to heart."

"I know, but I still feel like I owe it to them. Stay out of trouble Trowa." 

Relena giggled at Trowa's surprised, but slightly embarrassed look on his face as he watched Catherine leave. Trowa quickly went back to the same unreadable face as Heero.

"So has Damon stopped sending you things."

Relena nodded. "The last time that I got anything from him was a two weeks ago. I think that he finally got the hint."

"Are you sure that you want to wait for Heero? Despite some flaws, Damon seemed like your type. Heero may never come back."

"You have always been the straight forward type, that's what I like about you Trowa. You tell it like it is." Relena smiled and sighed. "Yes Trowa, Damon was a nice man, but my feelings for him was nothing compared to what I still feel for Heero. I'll wait for him."

Trowa nodded. "Then I will continue to look for Heero when I have time."

She placed a hand on his arm and smiled. "Thank you."

 

ߪªªªªßªªªªªßªªªªªßªªªªªß

 

A man stood out in the snow looking through one of the large bay windows of Relena's home. He was watching the scene before him. Relena and Trowa were standing together talking. He looked around the room for any sign of the man that caused all the problems for him but he was nowhere to be seen.

"Where are you?" He growled into the cold air and wrapped his fingers around the gun that was in his coat pocket. 'Tonight I will get rid of all obstacles that are between Relena and I.'

 

ߪªªªªßªªªªªßªªªªªßªªªªªß

 

 

So far the party had been going great. Everyone was enjoying them selves and filling up on food and champaign. With only a few minutes to go until midnight Trowa made his way over to Duo, who managed to get away from Hilde for a few minutes. 

Trowa nudged Duo with his elbow. "Look in the corner by the main entryway."

Duo looked through the crowd of people and a smirked crossed his face. "I had a feeling that he would show up." He looked at Trowa to see that he nodded in agreement then glanced at the clock on the wall. "We should try to get those two near each other at the stoke of midnight. What do you say?"

"We could try." Trowa walked off

 

ߪªªªªßªªªªªßªªªªªßªªªªªß

 

Heero stood quietly watching the partygoers in front of him. He didn't care much about the party when Une had first told him about it. What drew him here is when he got curious if Damon and Relena were still together. When he found out that Damon had tried numerous times to see Relena, and she had turned him down with each try, he knew that he had to see her. He had to find out if she would forgive him and if they could try again.

And so for the last ten minutes he was watching her from his quiet spot trying to decide to join the party, or to leave and talk to her in a more private place. His heart was yelling at him to get out there and be with her. And to whisper in her ear at the start of the New Year that he really did love her.

He was lost in his thoughts and lost track of time, but instantly snapped out of it when he felt someone tug on his arm. He looked down to see a little girl about the age of eight.

"Come on mister were about to count down."

He could have easily of pulled out of her grasp but he let the little girl pull him out into the small crowed of people. With each step he took the seconds were counted down to the New Year. He felt her let go of his hand and she walked off leaving him around some people that he didn't know personally, but remembered seeing them at Relena's office before. He knew each of their names to go with the faces because of the extensive background checks that he ran on every person that worked in the same building that her office was located.

As he listened to the last few seconds being counted down he watched Relena. And smiled slightly as he watched her yell out Happy New Year. His eyes went wide then filled with slight rage when he seen Duo grab her and pull her in his arms and kiss her. But calmed when he took notice that a lot of people were doing that around him.

The next thing that he knew was some lady coming up to him and pressing her lips against his and wishing him a happy new year. He felt someone push him from behind and he stumbled a few feet forward then turned around ready kill. Whoever did it, did it intentionally. But with the way that the people were mingling around him he couldn't tell who it was. 

Not even a few seconds later he felt someone bump him from behind. He wouldn't let whomever it was to get away without a warning this time. When he turned around he froze as he stared into a pair of aqua eyes that were filled with shock. 

"Heero."

"Relena."

Heero took a deep breath. And with the mood of the celebrating going on around them he cupped her chin in his hands and leaned in and kissed her gently on the lips. He rubbed her cheeks with his thumbs, and the feeling of how much he had missed the softness of her skin quickly came to mind.  

Relena didn't want to let it end so she reached up with her right hand and placed it behind his neck to keep him in the kiss then her left arm snaked around his neck urging him closer against her body. It was that desperate move that made Heero deepen the kiss making it into something that should have been saved for a more private moment between them. And it was about at that moment that the two of them were pulled apart, as the sound of shattering glass was heard throughout the room.

Relena looked at the table to see two little kids, the children of her secretary, had accidentally pulled the tablecloth making a few unused cups fall to the ground and break. She was flushed when she looked at Heero and gave him an apologetic look before hurrying over to her secretary who started apologizing the second the Relena came into view.

Heero watched her walk off to help and pick up one of the children to get away from the glass. He felt someone, actually a bunch of people looking at him. And the fist person that came into view was Millardo. He had his arms crossed and had an unreadable look on his face as he stared back at Heero. And for the first time ever Heero felt slightly embarrassed for the way that he just conducted himself in front of everyone in the room. He had completely lost himself in that kiss, and probably would have gone further in front of all of these people if they weren't interrupted before it got too carried away. 

He took a look around the room and felt uncomfortable and decided to get out of there. He would come back later tonight when the guest left and apologize for leaving. He wasn't about to spill his heart out in front of these people. He went to get his coat and left the house. The blast of cold air outside made him quickly put on his coat and zip it up. He hated earth seasons, the weather was way to unpredictable. 

Looking back at the house he sighed. It felt weird being there after all this time. It was his home for a year, and it should have never stopped being the place to come home to at night. And the woman inside should have been sleeping in his arms all this time. He heard the sound of someone approaching him. Looking around he didn't see anyone or anything. It was probably just the wind and blowing snow, but he had the feeling that someone was watching him. The sound of the front door opening caught his attention and he saw Quatre come out.

"Heero." Quatre walked over to him. "You're leaving already?"

"Go back inside Quatre. Enjoy the party." Heero started to walk toward his car.

"But what about Relena?"

"I'll come back later to talk to her."

Knowing that Heero was always a man of his word Quatre smiled. "Happy New Year Heero."

"Same to you." 

 

ߪªªªªßªªªªªßªªªªªßªªªªªß

 

His anger, about what happened between Heero and Relena just a few short moments ago, almost made him make a big mistake and expose himself too early. It was the sound of the front door opening that made him stay put. Damon watched from the darkness of his hiding spot. He was hoping that it was Relena, he wanted to two of them to be alone when he confronted them. He growled in frustration when he seen it was Quatre. But smirked at the conversation that they were having. 

'Good, then I'll be here when you come back Heero. And I'll finally get to prove to Relena that you corrupted her beliefs for the benefits of others like yourself.'