Shattered Dreams Chapter 9

 

Relena walked out of the bathroom in a pair of sweats and t-shirt, stuff that Heero had left behind, actually he had left everything that was his here. He never even come back to claim his precious laptop. Relena had made sure that she didn't take anything that was his to the court that day. She was hoping to see him, to talk to him. But that sadly never happened.

She walked over to her bed and laid down. It was nearly three in the morning and she was exhausted. "Why did you kiss me then run Heero?" She took the teddy bear that spent every night on her bed since Heero left in her arms and hugged it. "I hope that you come back, we need to talk." She closed her eyes and soon let sleep overtake her so she could dream let her dreams take over.

She had no idea how long she had been asleep before she was awoken with the feeling of someone tracing her jaw line softly then brushing the fingers across her lips. She quickly opened her eyes and let out a scream. A hand covered her mouth and the lamp by her bed was turned on.  She became shocked when she seen Heero kneeled by her bedside. He snapped his hand back and was about to stand up when she reached out and grabbed his wrist. 

"Heero, how did you get in here?"

"I....I still have a key."

Relena smiled then chuckled softly. "I can't believe that I never asked for that." She sat up on the bed and stared at him with curiosity. "What are you doing here at...." she looked at the clock by the nightstand "... four thirty in the morning?"

"I needed to talk to you."

"Couldn't it have waited until daylight?" she teased him

"I could come back if you want." He stood up.

"No!" She grabbed his coat, then blushed when she seen the shocked look on his face from her enthusiasm. "We need to talk."

Heero nodded and took off his coat and laid it on the nightstand. He walked over and got a chair and carried it over to the bed and sat down. Both of them just stared at each other not knowing how to start. 

"I wanted to apologize." Heero spoke up

"For what?" 

"For leaving earlier tonight, and for...." He touched her left cheek softly then pulled his hand back. "I never meant for that to happen, I am still shocked to this day that I hurt you."

Relena took one of his hands in hers. Here he was sitting in front of her and her heart was pounding wildly. She knew that Heero had to hear it form where he was sitting. "I need to know a few things about that day." She took a deep breath and spoke. "Were you truthful with Duo that day?"

"I.....in a way."

She was confused and slightly hurt by his answer. "What do you mean by that?"

"The truth?" Heero held his breath as she nodded her head. "When I proposed to you I cared very much for you well-being. I wanted no harm to come to you. I....I wasn't 'in love' with you. But there was something in my heart that was trying to tell me that I was."

Relena could feel the stinging sensation of the fresh tears that wanted to fall from her eyes. 

"On our honeymoon," he smirked. "you have no idea how frightened I was of what was expected of me." He seen Relena blush and she looked down at their hands. "I wasn't nearly ready to experience anything like that, but it was at that moment that I knew that I cared for you more than what I was leading myself to believe."

Relena jumped slightly as he brushed his other hand across her cheek.

"The more time that I spent with you, and the closer that we became physically, the more that my heart belonged to you......and it still does."

"Heero...."

"I'm sorry that I hurt you Relena, I just wanted to let you know that." He got up out of his chair and grabbed his coat.

"Where are you going?" Relena got up off of the bed.

"It's late, your tired. I'll come back after you rested."

She didn't know why she just stood there and watched him walk toward her bedroom door. "Heero!" He stopped and looked at her before opening the door. She walked over to him. "Do you love me?"

"Yes."

"Then stay." She stood on her toes and kissed him.

Heero let the coat drop to the floor and he wrapped his arms around her waist pulling her closer against his body. This is why he wanted to leave. He was trying to keep himself under control and was starting to loose, and now this woman just stripped it completely from him with just a kiss.

Relena felt her body shiver as he ran his hands up her back, sliding them under her shirt. His touch was making her ache with want. His mouth left hers and he started to trail kisses down her neck. God she wanted to touch him. She stared to unbutton his shirt.

"Relena are you sure that you want this?" He had to ask, even if it spoiled the moment. He had to make sure because he wouldn't be able to stop himself if it went any further.

She placed a finger on his lips. "Shhhh." She pulled on his arm and led them toward the bed. 

Once there she pushed him down on the bed. As she climbed up on top of him she pulled on his undershirt and push it up. She then ran her hands over his chest causing him to moan quietly. Smirking she leaned down and placed gentle kisses over his chest making his muscles ripple.

She was driving him nuts, but held off from ruining her fun. His heart was racing now and he could only imagine that hers was doing the same. He closed his eyes and let himself enjoy the way that she was making him feel, and once he felt her hand travel down and rub his arousal through his pants it was more than enough and he flipped her over getting a surprised yelp from her.

 

They were so lost in each other that neither of them heard the quiet footsteps that approached the bed. He didn't want to hurt Relena so he had to wait until she was out of the way, but now that the two of them were on the bed making out he couldn't take it anymore. It was something that he really didn't expect to happen and he couldn't stand that Heero was touching Relena.

Damon raised the gun and pointed it at Heero's back. 'No it would be pointless to shoot him without having his heart torn out by Relena first.' He pointed the gun just above Heero's head.

"Isn't that just sweet." They heard a bitter voice behind them. Damon pulled the trigger.

Relena screamed at the sound of the gun going off. Heero had covered her head as he heard the wood splinter just above his. He looked up to see the bullet hole then looked down at Relena. "Are you ok?" She nodded her head.

 "You're very lucky that I don't have that bad of an aim Yuy. Now get off of her, and get off of the bed slowly."

Heero pulled Relena's shirt down to cover her up. He kissed the tip of her nose and slowly got off of the bed and smirked at Damon.

Damon kept his eye on Heero and ordered Relena to get off of the bed on the other side and to come to him. Relena looked at Heero, who nodded for her to do it. She knew that he would be able to handle this, but she had a frightening feeling that something was going to go wrong. She got off of the bed and slowly walked toward Damon. He grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her against him.

Heero glared at him and took a step forward. Damon put the barrel against Relena's neck. "Don't think that I won't do it. I know I will never have her and I can make damn sure that you never will either." He forced her to look at Heero. "Look at him Relena, take a good look at Yuy. Can you honestly say that you want someone like him, a young boy that has twisted and manipulated your ideals and dreams?"

"What are you talking about?" Relena tried to get out of his grasp.

"That boy and your brother killed your dream of pacifism for the world and the colonies."

"They did no such thing! I changed my views on my own, I seen that total pacifism wouldn't work."

"Don't you see Relena, don't you have any clue as to how much you really changed since the first time that you spoke of pacifism until this very moment. Everything started to fall apart when you married him."

"That's not true Damon."

"No it is. How many times has he lied to you? How many times has he broken your heart? He will only continue to do it. He doesn't love you like I do. He can't possibly know how to love Relena. He's a soldier, his one true passion is to fight. That is what he is in love with. That is why he tore your dreams to shreds. He would give anything to be able pick up a gun again to kill." He smirked at Heero. "That's why he must die Relena, so your dreams can become a reality." 

Relena grabbed his arm as he pointed the gun at Heero. "No Damon please you can't. You will be giving up everything that you believe in because of one man."

"I'm willing to. Let go of my arm Relena I don't want you to get hurt." Damon looked at her so he could push her off of him without hurting her. Out of the corner of his eye he could see Heero coming at him. And so he did the only thing that he could do as he pushed Relena off of him he pulled the trigger.

Relena fell to the floor and looked over at Heero to see that he stopped just a few feet away from Damon. Heero placed his hand under his open shirt then pulled it back out a few seconds later. Relena cried out his name when she seen that his fingers were covered in blood. 

Heero looked at his fingers then looked at Relena as she screamed out his name. She tried to get up to go to him, but Damon grabbed her by the arm. When Heero locked eyes with Damon he could see the smirk on his lips and the gleam of triumph in his eyes. "Relena." He barely got her name above a whisper before he collapsed on the floor. 

"NO! Heero!"

Damon started to pull her away from Heero as Relena struggled to get away from him. "Let him die Relena. There is no place in this world for people like him."

"Let me go Damon!" She tried to hit him only to have Damon stop her fist and start to laugh at her. But his laughing stopped quickly with the sound of another voice in the room.

"I would let my sister go quickly if I were you."

Relena breathed a sigh of relief as Millardo walked into the room with his gun pointed at them. She looked at Heero ready to run to him as soon as Damon let go, only he pulled her closer against his body.

"Do you really think that I'm nuts? I let her go and you kill me right? I don't think so."

Millardo smirked as he walked across the room. Keeping his eyes on Damon he kneeled by Heero's side. "It doesn't matter, you won't make it out of here alive anyway." Millardo placed his fingers against Heeorís neck checking for a pulse. 

Relena seen Millardo slacken his grip on his gun slightly and he shook his head, but just as quickly as he let that moment happen he stood back up snapping the gun in their direction again. Her eyes started to tear as she watched the grim look on Millardo's face. 

"You're lucky Damon, you only have one of us to put up with. You may get out of here after all." Millardo walked slowly across the room toward the balcony, keeping his gun pointed at Damon's head. He knew that was the only way out for Damon and, he was going to block it. Millardo was surprised that Damon wasn't jumpy about him moving around the room. He smirk at how comfortable the older man probably felt he was with Relena in his arms, and Heero dead. 'That's right keep your eyes on me and don't look behind you.'

"Stop moving around."

"Does it bother you?" Millardo stopped and smiled at Damon.

"You're up to something." Damon tightened his grip on Relena.

"What makes you think that? I just want you to let Relena go. I'm giving you a chance to go out the door behind you."

Damon shook his head. "I'm not walking out that door without Relena."

"We knew you were up to something Damon." Millardo smirked when he seen Damon shift uncomfortably

"We?" Damon asked

"We searched for any flaw that we could possibly find, but found nothing." 

"That's because I'm a better man than you Zechs Merquise, or Millardo Peacecraft, or whoever else you decided to be."

Millardo laughed at him. His eyes drifted for a second to the figure that was behind Damon and Relena. "You see, I may have believed that if someone hadn't of told me something that made me keep my eye on you." He could tell that he had Damon's curiosity. Millardo looked behind them and smirked. "What was it that you said about Damon?"

"That no one's perfect." Came the monotone voice from behind them.

Relena's eyes went wide in shock as she recognized the voice as Heero's. Damon let go of her to turn around to face the man behind him. 

"Relena get down!" Millardo yelled as he ran to her. 

The smirk on Damon's face vanished as he stared at the gun that was now pointed at his face. He knew that there was no way out, and Millardo was correct when he said that he would die before he got a chance to get out. But he would try one last time to take Heero with him. Raising his gun as quickly as possible he fired. Damon watched as a trail of blood ran down Heero's arm. Damon stumbled back as he felt the increasing pain that was building in his chest. He dropped his gun as he stared at the blood that was soaking his shirt.

Heero walked toward Damon and kicked the gun over to where Millardo was. "Lucky for me you're not perfect." Heero smirked at Damon as he stumbled forward and grabbed a hold of Heero before sliding to the floor at his feet.

Millardo helped Relena to her feet then picked up the gun that Heero kicked at him. He watched as Relena ran to Heero and threw her arms around his neck, and chuckled at how quickly she jumped off of him when he hissed in pain. "Get him to the hospital Relena, I'll take care of this mess."

She looked down at Damon, not knowing what to think about what just happened or how it turned out this way.

Heero looked at Millardo. "Thanks." Heero handed his gun back to Millardo.

"Just be glad that youíre alive." 

Relena watched at the two of them stared at each other for a few seconds. She knew that there was a new understanding passing between the two of them. Heero took her hand and lead them out of the room. He gave her hand a squeeze and she looked at him as he gave her one of his rare smiles. 

"Everything will be ok Relena. I promise you that."

With those words she knew that they would be able to work things out, and that by the look in his eyes he was thinking the same thing as well.

 

 ~ Fin ~