Shattered Dreams Epilogue 

 

Relena paced her office trying to keep herself busy and her mind off of Heero so she could try to finish what little work that she had to complete, but it was impossible. She kept thinking about how she was worried sick when she took him to the hospital and doctors took him off to surgery. As it turned Heero was lucky that Damon had a bad aim and that his injuries were nothing serious. Despite that he felt fine physically, but he was still forced to say in the hospital for a few days. And during that time Relena had stayed pretty much by his side, only leaving when visiting hours were up. 

It has been two weeks since she last saw him, the day that he left the hospital. He said that he needed to finish up a few things back in the L3 colony cluster before he came home. And he left as quickly as he came back into her life.

'Home.' The way that he had said it made her stomach flutter. And now here she was nervous as hell because today was the day. Heero's last call to her before he went to catch his flight was to tell her that he was looking forward to finishing what they had started in her room that night before they were so rudely interrupted. 

She walked over and sat down in her chair. She was still hurt and upset that Damon had done such a thing. Maybe she was too harsh when she told him that she had to find out if there could possibly be anything between her and Heero. He had just asked her to marry him just moments before. She guessed that any man would of held a grudge. 

 It was getting late and she wanted to get home before Heero got there so she grabbed her things and left the office. She was surprised to see Millardo waiting for her as she walked outside. 

"Millardo what are you doing here. Where's Pargan?"

"I thought that I would drive you home so we could have a little talk."

She followed him to his car and smiled as he opened the passenger door for her. Thoughts of what he may want ran through her mind as she waited for him to get into the car.

"Sorry that we haven't had time to talk the past two weeks."

"That's ok I know that you were busy with happened, and that you have your personal life."

They were silent for a while. "Heero gets here tonight right?"

Relena's eyes went wide as she looked at him. She was completely shocked that he called Heero by his first name. "Yes."

Millardo started the car and pulled out of the parking lot. "You two haven't seen each other in a while."

"Two weeks, but he calls about everyday."

Once again there was nothing but silence for a few blocks until Millardo spoke up again. "Relena despite what I did, about forcing you to push the divorce on Yuy, I want you to be happy. And if being with him again gives you that happiness then you should take it. Even if I don't like the idea of his hands on you."

Relena blushed with that thought. "I will, but I want you to be happy too Millardo. I still don't know why you haven't asked Lucrezia to marry you. I thought that you were going to ask her on new years." 

Millardo looked at her then back at the road when he took notice that he was veering off it. He jerked the car back in the lane.

"I would have but I got distracted with the way that you and Yuy were conducting yourself if front of your guests. Then later that night as Lu a I got home the phone rang. It was Yuy asking for me to come back to your place. He had a feeling earlier that night that someone was lingering around outside. I was about to refuse, because of what I had planned with Lu, but I had a gut feeling that something was going to happen. It turns out that we were both right."

"Heero called you?"

"Yes just after three thirty."

Relena smiled. "It didn't take you very long to decided, since you only live about an hour away."

"I could have gotten there soon. I should have because I would have been there before Heero got shot. I had just started to walk up to your door when I heard the gunshot. I unlocked the door and rushed to your room to see Heero on the floor. As I walked toward him I could tell that he was still slightly breathing. When I checked his pulse to make sure that he was going to be ok he opened his eyes and looked at me. I managed to slip him the other gun that I brought with me. You know the rest." 

He could here her snickering. "What's so funny?"

"You and Heero working together. Did I ever tell you that Lady Une told me about the little disagreement that you and Heero had at Preventer Headquarters? She claims that it was just a show because you two got along for more than an hour before you started to swing at each other."

"I deny everything. I don't get along with him, nor do I like him."

"I seen the security tape before the fight, and footage taken from Duo's reception, and with the way that the two of you worked together in my room, easily predicting the others movements. I would say that you two are hiding the fact that you like each other."

"Don't push your luck Relena."

When they pulled up at her house she could tell that Heero was already there. She started to fidget knowing what may happen between the two of them.

"I gave Pargan and the other servants the night off so the two of you could be alone."

"You did what? How long has Heero been here?"

"I don't know.......a couple of hours maybe."

"Millardo! You didn't tell me that he was here. I look like hell, I don't want him to see me in this lousy suit."

He chuckled "Relena, Heero's use to seeing you in lousy outfits." She glared at him before getting out of his car and slamming the door. "Goodnight Relena."

Relena watched him drive off. Then she looked at the house and took a deep breath. She was completely beyond nervous now. She couldn't get her feet to move. She looked over at the large bay window of the living area. There was a soft glow coming from the room. 'Why am I too nervous to walk into the house? It's not like Heero and I haven't ever been alone together before. And the last time that we were I believe that I started it, so why am I acting like this when Heero is being the straight forward one?'

"Relena." She followed the voice to see Heero standing in the doorway. "It's cold outside. Are you going to come in or freeze you little butt off?"

"I...I." She stammered. 'Gosh I feel so stupid.' She smiled at him and walked slowly toward him, then looked down at the ground as her feet passed over the newly fallen snow making tracks toward her one destination. It wasn't much longer until she felt his arms wrap around her waist and pull her into the the warmth of the house.

She couldn't help but smile as he pulled her coat off and started to undo her boots. 

"I need to go and change Heero."

"You're fine Relena."

"But...." The small glare that he gave her silenced her. After taking them off her boots Heero took her hand and led her into the living room and she froze in shock.  

The furniture had been pulled out of the way. In it's place, in front of the fire place, there was a blanket and dinner for two laid out on it. The fire in the fireplace and a few scattered candles throughout the room provided the only light in the room. 

"Heero....." She was speechless. And she knew that he was up to something, and what she believed that something was made her heart pound loudly in her chest. 

"Do you like it?" Heero gave her hand as squeeze and she nodded.

"Yes it's lovely Heero." She was completely shocked and excited that he had done something like this for her.

Heero watched her reaction and smiled. It was just what he wanted. He worked hard at setting this up for her, even if this was way beyond anything that he would normally do. Stepping toward the blanket he pulled her hand gently and she quietly followed and sat down where he motioned for her to sit. "I hope you like it."

She looked at the meal set before her and smiled. "Heero did you cook this?"

"There were a few habits that I picked up being alone. Perfecting my cooking was very important to my survival after I got use to your cooks cooking."

Relena smiled and they ate in silence, not wanting to break the mood. Once done Heero took their plates to the kitchen and made his way back. He grabbed an envelope that he stashed earlier off of one of the hall tables and walked back into the room. He smiled at Relena, who offered one in return when she looked up at him from still sitting on the blanket.

"Dinner was good Heero."

"It was edible." He sat back down facing her and slid to where they were almost sitting side by side.

"You shouldn't put yourself down, it wasn't that bad."

Heero smirked. "You're a terrible liar Relena."

She laughed quietly. "I have hundreds of politicians that take my words for granted everyday. But you still can read right through me."

He smiled and handed her the envelope.

"What's this?" She took it from his hand, while looking at him in the eyes hoping that they may give something away.

"Something that I'm giving back to you."

She looked down at the envelope and opened it and pulled out the papers that were inside and became slightly confused. "Heero, these are the finalized divorce papers."

"I know that it really means nothing, It's way to late to fight it or not to sign, but I just felt...."

She placed her index finger on his lips silencing him. "I understand." She went to set the envelope and papers down when she felt something slide in the envelope.

Heero watched as she opened the envelope and peered in. She froze, just staring at what laid inside before she finally pulled it out. Her hand was trembling as she looked at the diamond ring that she held in her fingertips. 

"Heero.." She closed her eyes as he brushed the back of his fingers across her cheek and opened them when he pulled his hand back. She followed his hand as he flipped the papers over and on the back the words 'will you marry me' were written. She couldn't fight back the tears and she threw her arms around his neck wanting to hold him close. "Yes I'll marry you Heero." She whispered into his ear as she placed her cheek on his shoulder.

He gently pulled her back and moved a few stray strands of hair to look at her face. He took the ring from her hand and slid it on her ring finger. "I can promise you that everything will be different this time." After wiping away her fresh tears he pulled her once again into a hug. "I love you Relena."

They held each other for awhile, being content in the others arms and thinking about the future to come, the past being pushed aside as an obstacle that they had to over come to truly be happy, and for their dreams to come true.