Reflection of the Spirit, Part 1 by Tomorrow

AN: Another one of my "different" series. This one shouldn't be so AU, but I think the idea is original. Please read and review and tell me what you think. Thanks everyone, go ahead and read now.

Disclaimers: I don't own Gundam Wing. That's a big surprise.

 

 

"No thank you, I'm very tired, and I really don't feel like dancing right now. I'm flattered by your invitation, but I just came back from a council meeting, and I'm just so exhausted. Oh, all my dances are reserved for my brother, so I'm sorry I cannot waltz with you tonight."

That's all Relena seemed to be doing the entire evening... making excuses in an effort that she would be relieved from having to get out on the dance floor in another frivolous suitor's arms. She could see it all now. A boy with wavy red hair and perfect teeth would pull her into the middle of the floor and begin to drone on about how exquisite and ravishing she looked tonight. He would try to make his steps elegant and graceful, but he would fail miserably at it in her eyes, for no man could sweep her around the floor like... him. Oh how she could remember the soft and tenderness in his grasp around her waist, the way he stroked her fingers with his own callous hands. How his movements were perfectly fluent with her own, and all of the other couples around them would stare in jealousy, commenting on what a beautiful couple they made together. But that was long ago, and he only graced her request because of the publicity surrounding her. Otherwise, she would probably be gazing down at this solstice ball through the illusion of God's winged children.

She was the only one without a partner that night. Her heart began to constrict as she saw all of her friends having a gay time with their counterparts, laughing and mouthing the words of the passionate love ballads to each other, trying to steal kisses and cuddle closer to the other. It wasn't that Relena didn't catch the eyes of the men at the gathering, but her manner was so distant and prudish that none dared to approach her. She did look radiant that night. Her hair was pulled in its usual braids, yet two luscious tresses fell across her face, cupping her chin. Her gown was long and white, looking as though she was clothed in the glistening snowdrifts of nature's splendor, hugging her breasts furiously along with her ribs, and yet flowed and wafted along the rest of her body to the ground. It was not a modest dress, for it peeked a great deal of her cleavage, and her back was completely bare except for a bow that billowed to the dress's hem. Articulate patches of sequins accented the sector of the gown about her hips as well as added decoration to her bodice. Furthermore, she wore a humble diamond necklace that brought out the sparkle of her eyes as their crystal waters danced along the light of the chandeliers. As she was about to make her way to the balcony to escape the rest of the night, the conductor of the orchestra announced, "It is now time for the portion of our evening where each of our guests is paired with another. Everyone must participate, so men, pick which of the lovely ladies out there you would like to spend the rest of the evening with."

In no time at all, everyone had found their partner. Duo and Hilde had already been sharing dances together, and they hugged each other even tighter as the conductor made his speech. Wufei had pretty much stayed near the punch bowl all evening, hoping to "avoid" Sally so that he wouldn't be seen dancing, especially with such a weak woman. But, to Wufei's dismay, as the conductor went on, Sally gave him a sly wink and dragged him into the center, squeezing him for dear life. What she didn't see though was the softening of his eyes as they began to sway to the entrancing melody. Trowa initially declined the invitation to the ball, but Catherine said she wouldn't attend unless he came with her. Being he wanted her to have a good time, he accompanied her, only if she promised to be his sole dance partner. Therefore, she and Trowa could be seen whispering to each other about how to liven up these slow steps a bit. Quatre, the shy little thing, blushed every time a girl even batted her eyes, and his faced turned a dark crimson when a girl with short brown hair and matching coffee colored eyes actually came up and offered him her hand. Seeing the dilemma, Dorothy quickly shooed the hussy away, explaining to her that he was her escort, and she had only left him temporarily that she could go to the powder room. As Quatre slid his hand around her waist, he gave Dorothy a thankful smile, for though they weren't a couple, they had become very close friends over the past few years.

But, there were still two people on the dance floor that night that weren't paired with anyone yet. Before Relena could make her way to the terrace, one of the chaperones took her arm and asked, "Are you paired up with anyone miss?"

"Why... uhh... no, not exactly. I..."

"Well then don't worry my lady, I'll help you find a partner."

*Wonderful,* Relena thought to herself as he led her back into the dance hall. Just as they entered, the conductor spoke again, "Okay, does everyone have a special someone they're paired up with?"

"No," the usher shouted, "this little lady isn't paired up yet!"

"Oh my, well we had better find this pretty young girl someone right now, so we can get started."

"Here, we found a guy who's a loner. They can couple-up," two burlesque bouncers retorted as they began to push the male wallflower toward his prize.

When she saw the face of the man she was to spend the rest of the evening with, she gasped out of surprise, and just stood still in shock--he looking straight into her eyes, trying to read what she was thinking. As he gazed into her bewitching irises, he could only see wonder and beauty, for Relena's eyes were a direct transparency into her very soul, which in his opinion since he'd fallen prey to her spiritual mischief more than once before, could be its own seductress.

"All right, let the romantic era of the festivities begin," the conductor beamed, and all of the couples began take each other in their arms with awaited bliss.

Meanwhile, Relena began to blush profusely as her partner held out his hand to her. As if in a trance, she gently placed her hand in his own, and he wrapped his muscular arms around her petite waist. Timidly they began to move to the enchanting notes that whispered sweet words of love and devotion in their lyrics, soon to become lost in the ecstasy of the sensations of their touching skin. Relena's hair made a gorgeous sheet of golden waters as it cascaded around his broad shoulders, he moaning as the silken tendrils fluttered along his lips. His white tuxedo along with her dove garnished dress created beautiful ocean waves topped with its fragile foam that put to shame all of the other beauty the other couples at the dance could evoke as one. His eyes wandered along her slender shape, every once in a while his hands gliding down her thighs, and she restricting his gestures from going any further. Without even realizing it, her head rested upon his brawny chest, he finally comforted enough to close his eyes and take in her delicate scents of secret perfumes hinted with slight smells of cream rising from her hair from her different flavored shampoos. As the music ended, the conductor came back and said, "Wonderful dancing everyone, but now it's time to pick the starlight couple of the evening. They will be the ones to start us off on our next dance. Okay, which ever pair the light stops on is the lucky winners." Girls were clasped onto their boyfriends' arms, squealing out of nervousness and anticipation, telling their dates which dance they wanted to do when they won. Everyone held his breath, waiting for the spotlight to stop swirling and land on its destination, when it came to an abrupt halt over Relena and her partner.

As the light graced them, People gasped when they saw whom she had been seen teetering on the doors of heaven with... Heero Yuy. She quickly jerked out of Heero's protective hold, feeling the heat she had felt just before in her bosom rise to her cheeks, and began to decline the honor. Heero immediately put his finger to her lips and motioned for the music to begin. No longer was Relena filled with contention and rueful admiration, oh no. Her once regal steps became choppy and faltering, and she began to quake in his firm hold around her. He looked down to her with concern, seeing that she wouldn't meet his gaze, and noticed her trembling becoming harsher.

*No, no I can't take this," she thought to herself as Heero almost carried her across the floor. *Why is he here? He doesn't care for me, so why am I torturing myself like this and conceding to dance with him. Just like Cinderella... my heart will be broken when this last dance ends. Oh why did I even come tonight?*

Without even knowing it, the two had found themselves dancing directly in front of a large mirror that ornamented the hall. When Relena lifted her head to find her reflection, her eyes widened, and her lips began to quiver. She just stood still, frozen in fear as she found herself not able to take her eyes from the mirror, and began to allow screams that echoed throughout the hall...

 

 

 

AN: I know I didn't get into too mush detail about the screaming thing, but I will in the next part... IF I GET REVIEWS. That's it, no more Miss Nice Tomorrow. I'm not going to post the next part 'til I get... reviews. I don't know how many, but until I get some. Please you guys, I'm serious, if you like it, then review so that I know you do. It only takes 5 seconds, if I take my time to write this story for you, could you please spend that small amount of time telling me what you think. Thank you everyone, and I do appreciate all of you who faithfully read and e-mail my stories. I'll C-ya later... bye!