***Part 6***

 

The GW-boys all piled into the slick black SUV they had rented upon arriving out West and drove to the address that Sally had given them. Trowa sat at the wheel, as silent as ever, concentrating on the road. Heero was next to him in the passenger's seat, typing away on his beloved laptop. Sitting snugly in the back was a happily content Quatre, in the middle of a garrulous Duo and a ticked-off looking Wufei. After what seemed like hours of driving down long country road, they finally came upon a little town and sure enough found the place where Relena was apparently working. Pulling up to a long driveway with the sign 'Primrose Perch: Equestrian Complex,' every let out a sigh of relief. Trowa turned into the driveway and slowly started down the long path to the Perch.

"Finally!" exclaimed Quatre, "We're here!"

"And not a moment too soon. If we had been driving any longer, I swear upon Nataku, I would have thrown that mumbling idiot out the window," Wufei said, glaring at Duo.

"Whaa??" asked Duo innocently.

"You've been talking for three hours straight," added Heero nonchalantly, eyes still glued to his computer screen.

"It's not my fault you people don't know how to carry a conversation," Duo said, looking hurt. "Jeez, how'd I get stuck with the 'Taciturn Troopers': protecting the world from, God forbid, dialogue," Duo said to himself.

"Are you still talking???" yelled Wufei, who reached over Quatre and tried to hit Duo. While the two were wrestling and Quatre was trying to avoid any stray blows, they managed to kick Trowa's seat forward, causing the driver to accidentally swerve into a ditch on the side of the road, just moments away from reaching the Perch.

"Injustice!" cried Wufei as they all got out of the car.

"Serves you right, you attacked me." Duo noted.

"Don't try to blame this on ME, Maxwell--"

"Well, I hope you both are happy," Trowa broke the vocal battle with his quiet, calm tone. "Now help me get the car out of the ditch."

Trowa didn't talk much, but when he did, everyone listened. The other Gundam pilots obeyed his soft, yet firm command and began to push the car back onto the road. Everyone except Heero, that is. The little escapade normally would have annoyed him, but not today, not right now, because the moment he got out of the car, he caught a far off glimpse of a familiar face. Heero quietly withdrew from the commotion of the car situation and advanced to a nearby field, making sure he was hidden by the foliage which surrounded the area. He fixed his gaze on a pretty young woman who was guiding a horse on which a little girl was riding. "It's her," Heero thought to himself, as one barely audible word was breathed from his mouth, "Relena..."

It seemed to the young pilot that she was the same, yet different. Her hair was now blonder, kissed by the sun, and her skin had a warm tan from being out with the horses all day long. So as not to be easily recognized as Princess Relena Peacecraft, the girl had changed her hairstyle. Besides from being naturally lighter, it was swept back into a soft French braid, with her bangs pulled back, except for a few wisps, which blew in the gentle breeze, unable to be tamed. Relena was also toner, Heero noted, probably from constantly riding horses and lifting her young riding students on and off the gentle beasts. For the first time in his life, something registered in Heero's mind. He was not just protecting Relena because the world needed herhe needed her, he always had.

"She'sperfect," Heero heard himself whisper. She looked so relaxed in casual blue jeans and a sleeveless, white button-down shirt. And she lookedhappy. He had never seen her smiling so much and laughing as she easily scooped the little girl from the horse and twirled her around to the ground. "I guess she finally has her 'normal' life after all," Heero thought.

 

"That's enough for today, Angie. You had a wonderful lesson. You're improving every time I see you!" Relena congratulated her student. The beaming little girl gave her instructor a quick hug and scampered off, leaving Relena alone in the field. Heero watched curiously as she gently petted the horse and whispered something in its ear. Relena laughed at herself for being so silly as to talk to a horse and then closing her eyes, fell back onto velvet grass and watched the noble animal nibble on some flowers. It was at this time, having extracted the SUV out of the ditch, that the other pilots had wandered up to Heero's hiding place behind the brush. They all were gazing at the peaceful Relena, giggling as she sunbathed and plucked the petals off of daises.

 

"I've never seen her so happy," Quatre said with a small sadness in his voice.

"Yeah," said Heero monotonously, "that's what I was just thinking."

The other pilots glanced at one another as Heero sat watching Relena. They were surprised he had somewhat let his emotional guard down in front of them. But as Heero turned back to face them, his old, unfeeling self appeared once again. And in his usual deep voice, Heero continued, "Come on, let's not disturb her like this." They all agreed they would take her back to the Cinq Kingdom in the morning. Right now, they would let her enjoy the last day of her 'normal' life. The pilots headed back to the SUV and drove in silence back into the town, where they rented some hotel rooms for the night.

 

<><>Rebel Military Island Base<><>

 

"So, you've finally found out where our little princess is hiding, eh?"

"Yes, General Hollowfax. She's been located out West, in North America."

'Well then," the general sneered, "GO GET HERTONIGHT! I can't have her in my way any longer."

"Yes, Sir!" the soldier replied and hurried away.