***Part 8***

 

When the gang arrived at the base, situated in a cave hidden deep in a forest, it was surprisingly unguarded. "I know this is a trap, but I don't care," Heero said as he went into the cave entrance, the Gundams following slowly, while Noin and Zechs stayed outside to keep watch. The actual base went deep underground. Heero blasted through a few metal doors and entered the facility, no challenge yet. The pilots got out of their Gundams and began looking for the princess. Something wasn't right. There were no guards in sight. It was empty. As the group walked into what seemed to be the main command center, Jasper was waiting for them, surrounded by twenty guards.

"Why hello Gundam pilots. What a pleasant surprise!" Jasper grinned at them.

"Cut the crap," said Heero. "It's over."

Jasper gave a little laugh. "It's over? Why, Gundam pilots, it's only just begun. A whole army of my new Mobile Dolls have already been dispatched to conquer the earth and colonies. May I present the Nimbus and the Stratus," he said as he pointed to a large screen, showing the mobile dolls speeding off from a resource satellite."

The pilots looked puzzled. "Oh yes," Jasper explained, "this wasn't my only base of operation. Most of the Mobile Dolls were built in outer space on a supply satellite I've managed to keep unnoticed. While you're in here, my men, with the help of my Mobile Dolls, will be conquering the world and outer space." General Hollowfax gazed at the pilots for awhile. "Kill them," he said and ran out the door as his guards drew their guns on the pilots.

"Only twenty?" said Duo. "How disappointing." Suddenly, all five pilots jumped in different directions, dodging bullets, throwing kicks and punches and pulling out guns of their own. After only a few minutes, only the five pilots were standing, while the twenty guards lay dead or unconscious. Just then, the huge screen flashed and Jasper's shrewd face appeared. "I thought you would have defeated by men by now, but no matter. When I leave this base, you will all be blown to bits."

The pilots ran out of the rooms and back to their Gundams. "We're too late," sighed Quatre.

Jasper's shuttle was just starting to pull away when it was suddenly shot at. Noin's Taurus appeared in the cave. "I thought you guys could use some help," she said as she appeared from her suit.

"Noin, you must go to outer space and stop Dark Storm's Mobile Dolls. We'll be right there!" Quatre shouted at her. Noin nodded and flew off with Zechs while the pilots watched as Jasper emerged from the damaged shuttle.

"So, perhaps I have underestimated you pilots, after all," he said.

"Where is she?" Heero asked, remembering Relena.

"Who do you mean?" Jasper asked innocently.

"Relena...where is she?" Heero repeated angrily.

Jasper paused for a moment, then smiled the most evil smile one could ever imagine. "Why, the princess? She's dead."

Upon hearing the ill-fated words, gasps of horror were heard from all of the wing pilots, all but one, that is. The one standing in the middle of them all, the dark face with the piercing eyes. It was apparent he had been affected by the news as his head dropped and he turned it away, as if he had just been slapped in the face. Those words, each one struck into the deepest chamber of his heart, a place that before only one person could touch...Relena.

Pleased with the reaction from such an unemotional man, the evil military leader continued:

"Yes, she is dead, but she died well, with honor. And don't worry, I made it quick. She felt no pain. Before Miss Peacecraft passed, she said she must live for the peace of the colonies, and of the world. When I explained to her that peace was the thing I was trying to destroy and must therefore kill her, she said she must also live for another reason. She must live for a man, a man who is dead inside and must be taught how to live. But I simply replied that I was sorry to see such a determined spirit as hers go and when I asked the girl her last words she only said, 'I love him, my hero, and he will avenge me.' Now who could she have meant by that?"

Jasper could not see the young man's face, which looked coldly at floor and was covered with a mane of wild brown wisps. No one could see Heero's face, but if they were able, a calm exterior could not hide the pure hate or the anger in his eyes, eyes which seemed to scream silently in pain. And with those eyes, the torn young man looked up at Relena's murderer.

"I am Heero," he said softly at first in his deep, firm voice getting louder as he continued, "and I will avenge her death. Omae o korosu. I will kill you." Looking behind him, the Wing Zero pilot commanded, "Duo, Trowa, Quatre, Wufei, go take your Gundams and deal with the Mobile Dolls." The other pilots nodded and quickly scurried off to follow their orders. Heero looked at Jasper with a frigid stare, "And I will take care of this one."

"Well, Heero, it seems we are the only ones left," said the general with a little laugh as he brought forth a device containing a clock. Heero knew what it was immediately. Jasper set fifteen minutes on the timer. "Either one of us walks out of here alive before the time is up, or we both get blown to pieces. Agreed?" Jasper asked the Gundam pilot. "Agreed," Heero replied.

"So, how should we settle this? The clock is ticking." Jasper cooed.

"How 'bout I kill you?" Heero said in a gravely serious tone, pointing his gun at Jasper, ready to fire the only bullet he had left.

"Oh no, that will never do," Jasper said rummaging around a storage bin and pulling out two fencing swords. "Why don't we settle this like the two civilized human beings we are?" He threw Heero a sword.

"Civilized human beings?" Heero questioned. "I would hardly refer to us as that."

Jasper motioned for Heero to put down his gun. Heero tossed it to the side, noting precisely where it landed, in case it was needed later.

"Let us begin!" Jasper said, running towards the young pilot.

CLANG, CLANG, CLANG ­oof-- CLANG, CLANG, CLANG ­grrrrrr.

Jasper was skilled, but Heero was stronger and quicker with the sword. The evil general was losing the duel, and he knew it.

"You know," Jasper said between breaths, "this is a meaningless battle. My Mobile Dolls are already released and wreaking havoc on anything that stands in their way. While you are in here, your friends are desperately fighting a losing battle."

"Meaningless battles are my specialty," Heero said, thinking back to the White Fang and their near-destruction of earth.

"So why are you still here?" Jasper mused. "Hundreds may be dying as we speak, but instead of saving them, you choose to stay here with me and play with swords. Could it becould it be because I killed the princess? I would have thought a girl wouldn't matter to a Gundam pilot."

Heero winced at the mention of Relena and anger clouded his mind. Jasper caught him off guard with a blow to the shoulder. Heero remembered Relena's last words- 'he will avenge me'.

"I'm keeping a promise," was all Heero replied holding onto his wound. But Jasper was right, Heero needed to help his fellow pilots. He needed to end this duel right now.

Heero let Jasper advanced on him until the young pilot had his discarded gun at an accessible distance. Jasper was now growing stronger, laughing as he said, "Come on, Heero, show me what you've got!"

The general swiped at Heero, who ducked, but then was knocked back as Jasper had quickly delivered a kick to his face. Hollowfax sneered, "Poor little Relena. You were too late to save her, and now you're too weak to avenge her."

Heero growled as he ran at Jasper, slicing the general's cheek before the pilot had his own sword knocked out of his hand and tumbled to the ground.

"IS THAT ALL YOU HAVE?" roared Jasper, laughing insanely as he touched his cheek and saw blood on his fingertips. "It's going to take more than that to stop me."

"I know," said Heero, lunging at his gun on the floor. All in one motion, the skilled pilot picked up the gun while rolling on the ground and shot at the surprised general while coming out of the maneuver. Heero sighed as he got up and looked at Jasper in a pool of blood, a bullet right through the heart. "I keep my promises," Heero said with a deep and icy harshness to his voice.

Clutching his wound, Jasper let out a laugh, gurgling with blood. "I've still won," Hollowfax managed to whisper with his last breath as he slumped down to the floor. He had a smile on his face as he lay there dead. Heero looked at him a little confused by his words, but then disregarded the insane general.

"Well, that hadn't taken too long," Heero thought as he looked and saw eight minutes left on the timer, then headed towards his Gundam.