This is the sequel to my first songfic "Who Wants to Live Forever."  This takes place sometime between the series and Endless Waltz.  I chose this song because it really made me think of the relationship between Heero and Relena.  It's off of Sarah Brightman's La Luna album.  If you don't know who she is, she was the original Christine in Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera, and she has the most beautiful voice ever!

I'll be posting the first fic in the sequel series to Heero's Peace (shameless plug) sometime toward the end of the week, for all those who had asked about it. Please enjoy this fic in the meantime, though! - Stella

Disclaimer:  I do not own Gundam Wing or the rights to the song "This Love"

AC 196

Relena couldn't sleep again.  She lay in bed staring sometimes at the ceiling, and then dividing her attention between the moonlight that crept through her windows and the sound of the crashing waves in the distance.  Her mind raced as she replayed meetings and speeches in her head.  She reflected some of her words and actions from earlier that day, and worried about the colonies, the earth, this peace.  It had been about two years since she'd had a restful night, and her insomnia had grown progressively worse over the last few months.  There was a strange feeling in the air - like the world was holding its breath.  It was as if earth, time and space possessed the knowledge that something was about to happen.   She inhaled the apprehension and it coursed its way through her body day in and day out.

Giving up on trying to rest, she pulled the covers back and got out of bed. Relena padded across her darkened room and opened the doors to the balcony.  A light breeze tugged at her silk nightgown and gently picked up her hair, causing it to swirl around her face.  She brushed it away and turned her gaze to the moon's reflection on the sea below.  She breathed in the crisp night air, and was overtaken by another thought that kept her up at night.  He seemed to be just that, a mere thought anymore, an illusion.  She often wondered if he had ever really existed or if she had simply dreamed him up.  Though her memories were vivid, Heero seemed more of an apparition to her now.  Relena often found herself wondering where he was, and even daydreaming about what it might be like if she ever saw him again.  No matter how faint the idea of him seemed, the feelings she had for him were so strong they often left her weak and weary. Heero, without realizing it, had kept part of her soul with him.  She put her hand over her heart as she stared into the black void of the sea at night.

This love,
This love is a strange love
A faded kind of day love
This love

After a few minutes on the balcony, Relena made her way back into her room. Grabbing a blanket, she wrapped it around her shoulders and headed toward the ocean cliffs.  Plodding along through the gardens, she stopped to pick a white rose on her way to the cliff.  She inhaled its sweet fragrance as she walked. The sand was cool but soft on her bare feet and she slowly moved out to steep edge.  The moisture from the sea spray and mist clung to her face and hair; the blanket felt damp around her bare shoulders.  Standing over the sea, Relena spread out her arms as she took a calming breath, closing her eyes and turning her face to the night sky.  She felt a wave of comfort wash over her, and she brought her arms down, letting her body relax.  She opened her eyes to take in the sparkling vista of stars.  She gasped in surprise as a shooting star streaked across the black night.  Again she thought of her own "shooting star".  In one of her daydreams they had walked hand in hand by the sea.  As the powerful emotions stirred up inside her, she made a hasty attempt to turn back toward her mansion.  A sharp pain shot through her ankle as her foot got caught on a rock.  She reeled for a moment, fighting to keep her balance at the edge of the cliff, but there was nothing to reach for.  Her hands groped for something, anything to hold on to, but there was only air, and before she realized what was happening, Relena felt herself begin to drop.

This love,
I think I'm gonna fall again
And even when you held my hand
It didn't mean a thing
This love

She was half in a swoon as she felt a pair of powerful arms catch her around the waist.  She was brought back to solid ground again, but only for a moment. Again Relena found herself floating, but this time she was cradled against the warmth of another body.  Half in a daze, she felt no fear as she was carried across the grounds back to her home.  Who had saved her?  An angel?  A ghost? She tucked her head under the chin of her savior, leaving those thoughts as she slipped into unconsciousness.

This love
This strange love, strange love
This love

Heero's heart was still in his throat.  God, she'd almost fallen.  He had been captivated as he watched her there, standing with her arms outstretched, her white billowing blanket and nightgown and her hair blowing in the wind.  She had looked like an angel to him.  There had been no time to panic when she began to fall, and he had caught her just in time.  He had sworn to protect her, and he always kept his soldier's promise.  But it seemed to be more than that.  It was an unspoken promise his heart had made as well.

This love,
Never has to say love
Doesn't know it is love
This love

He carried her effortlessly back to her room and tenderly placed her in bed, pulling the covers up to her shoulders.  Her long hair was fanned out on the pillow, and he reached out to touch its softness as he watched her sleep.  Heero stood over her for a long time, listening to her slow steady breaths.  'Just for a moment,' he thought.  He quietly moved on to the bed and lay down beside Relena, resting his head next hers.  He put his arm around her and closed his eyes, letting his body sense her closeness.  He let out a sigh of contentment, and fell asleep.

This love,
It doesn't have to feel love
It doesn't need to be love
It doesn't mean a thing
This love

He woke up, momentarily confused.  He had stayed too long, been careless.  She still slept there beside him, warm under her blankets.  The morning sun was starting to brighten the room, and a ray of light strayed across her face. Heero stole one last long look at the sleeping Relena before he slipped through the doors and down the balcony.  He would always be watching her and guarding her, his life would be empty if she was not there.

This love
This strange love, strange love
I think I'm gonna fall again
This strange love, strange love

 

Relena awoke, feeling strangely rested.  She barely recalled what had happened last night.  Maybe it had been a dream, but no.  Her nightgown and hair still felt damp; there was sand on her feet, and a dull pain in her bruised ankle. Then she remembered.  "The shooting star!  And I fell!  But how am I alive?" Those arms that had caught her...  Could it have been?  Something next her caught her attention out of the corner of her eye.  She looked to other pillow and picked up a white rose that had been placed on it.  "Heero," she smiled.

This love...

 

I was in the mood for a little sap!  I hope you all like it