Changes Through Time, Part 4 by Tomorrow

 

AN: It's me again. Just here to supply you with the next part of my fic. I know that I'm getting really monotonous, but I just can't stop thanking you guys for how sweet you all are being for both reading and e-mailing me about my story. I just want you guys to know that I am definitely not UNGRATEFUL for all of the encouragement you've given me. Thanks!

 

Disclaimers: By now, I guess everyone in the entire world knows I don't own Gundam Wing (and I thought I might be fooling someone... yeah right).

 

Changes Through Time, Part 4

 

 

"Ah, my precious baby, what do you need to tell me... hmm?" asked the dark woman in a nonchalant manner. "What news do you have for Mommy today?"

The hawk began to scream wildly as it was "telling" her what he had seen not too long ago.

"WHAT!!! How can that be... are you SURE?" The bird cocked his head in assurance and staggered backwards to refrain from the range of the fire of her building wrath.

The evil one started a hasty trek down the dimly lit stairwell of the corridor, to the dank and dreary tomb that dwelled beneath the earth. Moments later, the hawk heard her fleeting footsteps trudging back up the flight, the tail of her cape wallowing behind her.

"That's impossible... there's just no way... how?" she kept repeating to herself as she walked up to her master system. It was the central database that controlled all of the other technologies that she created, and was much more advanced than anything anyone else, including scientists like Doctor J, had developed.

She, without hesitation, rabidly punched in various codes and passwords, which allowed her access to a video camera. On the screen was none other than Heero and the others, walking dolefully in the pouring rain. Their clothes were drenched in mud and soaked to a point where it seemed as though not even the desert sun would have a prayer to dry them. They were also tattered and clinging onto their bodies, weighing them down and making the journey much more desperate. To make matters worse, it was plain to see from the cherry pigment of her nose and the glossy film over her eyes, that Relena was catching a cold. She was shivering as if she were lost in a snowstorm, and kept stumbling out of weakness and lassitude. Every time she was about to fall, Heero would pick her up and support her on his shoulder, wanting to do more but had already given up his jacket to her about a half an hour ago.

"It just can't be her. I... I... I know it isn't, but she looks just like her. Those same, genuine eyes, those silken locks of hair, that same delicate physique! They are hers and yet... they're not," grumbled the infuriated mistress. "I don't quite know what's going on here, but I assure you my pet, I will find out. Now go! I want you to keep an extra close watch on this sweet little child. I want you to find out everything you can about her and relay the information to me immediately. Understand? Oh, and one more thing precious. Watch that little boy too. Something tells me that these two may be the key to the fulfillment of my plan." And with that, she began to generate a laugh that would strike fear into the hearts of saint and murderer alike, as her faithful minion flew into the distance to commence his vigil.

Meanwhile, the five pilots and the princess were having no luck in finding shelter from the storm. The streets and houses along the roads were completely desolate, and the only sound that could be heard was the splashing their shoes made as it collided with the swelling puddles on the sidewalk. It had been almost two hours now, and Heero knew Relena needed rest urgently. She really wasn't walking on her own anymore, only letting her feet glide along the ground where Heero led them. He was basically supporting all of her weight, but she felt like nothing more than a feather to him. They were about to loose hope and just stay the night near one of the upcoming benches when, down the way further, they saw an outline of a young woman. They couldn't believe their eyes, but called out to her anyway.

"Miss, uh, miss! Please, we need your help! Hey lady!" Duo shouted, his voice able to be heard on the other side of the Globe.

As the girl heard the commotion she stopped dead in her path. She ran up to them and pointed a gun straight at Duo's heart.

"Don't you disgusting creatures come any closer to me you got it, or else pretty boy here won't see tomorrow," she said in a gruff voice.

*Hey, I know that voice,* Duo thought. *Could it be... Hilde?* "Hilde... is that you?"

"How did you know my name?" she asked, becoming a bit timid.

"Oh come on Hilde, it's me, Du..mph," Duo muffled out as Wufei elbowed him in the chest. It was his way of reminding Duo about Lira's caution.
"What did you say your name was?"

"Du... Du... Dumont. Yeah, that's right, Dumont," Duo quickly recovered.

"Oh," she whispered. She them remembered herself and refocused her aim. "Listen. I don't care if you DO know me. Just leave me alone and every thing will be fine, all right? Just back away."

"No, please," said Relena in a desperate cry. "I don't know why you're so frightened Hilde, but we need help. Don't turn us away Hilde, please. Look into your heart. You know we won't hurt you. Please?"

As Relena uttered these words, Hilde knew right then and there that she was in no danger. She could only see love and warmth in Relena's weary eyes, not a single trait of harshness.

"All right, I believe you," Hilde said.

"What made you change your mind?" asked Trowa inquisitively.

"That little doll you've got with you... she changed my mind. Someone with eyes like that can't possibly be evil. And if she's hanging around with you guys, well then, I guess you're okay too," she said with a hint of amusement in her voice. "Come on. I know a place where you can go. It's not much, but it will keep you safe and dry from this weather. Just follow me and I'll take you there."

The boys nodded, and they began their excursion to their new home. They seemed to be walking for forever and a day when Hilde said, "This is it."

"It... it... what do you mean this is it?" screamed Duo as he stomped his foot on the ground. "There's NOTHIN' here! Are you sure you got your directions right?"

"Of course I got my directions right! What do you think I am, an idiot? You should just be grateful I'm letting you stay here at all!"

"Here? WHERE'S HERE? We're in the middle of nowhere babe. See? Solid group, dripping water. Do YOU see anyplace else to go? Jeez! You think you know everything don't you?"

*She's definitely Hilde,* the boys and Relena thought to themselves as they approached the "shelter." *Only Hilde can stand Duo's voice for more than two minutes.*

"Just shut-up okay? Watch," Hilde said as she took a controller out of her vest. "You see, this controller is wired up to a door under our feet that is the entrance to my place. Got it?" she said giving a glare to Duo.

"Well how was I supposed to know?" he whined.

"If you would have listened you would've realized that I was trying to tell you that the whole time! It's so strange, you totally remind me of this guy I know. His name's Duo and he's as ambitious as you. Are you related to him by any chance?"

"NOOO!" came the wave of answer to her question.

"All right, my goodness. I was just wondering. Anyway, come on down and make yourselves comfortable. I make some hot tea for you all once you get settled."

With that, she led the way down the long flight of stairs into the living space. The whole edifice was about the size of a small apartment. It of course had a living area, which was furnished with old, rotting wooden tables and chairs, and had one small bathroom and two bedrooms. But, from the sleeping bags sprawled out all over the floor, the group could guess that the bedrooms weren't really used that often. To light the cozy little nook, since there was no electricity, on each of the three tables was a kerosene lamp. They were so covered in dust, that one would have thought they dated back into the 1700s. In the far, left corner of the room was a steel trough filled with drinkable water and a small refrigerator next to it, filled to the brim with meats, fruits, and vegetables of all sorts. A huge black box, that looked to resemble some kind of communication radio, was placed in the center of the room where everyone could have easy access to it and make emergency calls if the need would arise. On the couch in the back of the room sat three women. One had blond hair that fell just passes her shoulders, done up in a twist. Her eyes were a pale blue and resembled the sunny skies of early spring. Sitting to the left of her was a girl with pale, bleach-blond hair with a few strands falling out of her headband. Her eyes were almost the exact same color of the woman's next to her, except this girl's had a bit darker of a hue to them. Finally, at the other end of the couch, was a lady with short, curly red hair with eyes as silver as the blade of a sword. Each stood up and was about ready to launch themselves at the newcomers, when Hilde held up her hand in protest.

"It's all right girls. They're okay, they won't do anything to us." With that assurance, the other three girls bowed their heads and resumed their status on the couch.

The pilots and Relena immediately recognized them as Sally, Dorothy, and Catherine and were about to inquire about what was going on when Hilde interrupted.

"What's your name sweetie?" asked Hilde in a ginger voice to Relena.

"My name is... Serena," Relena answered weakly, knowing she couldn't use her real name.

"Well Serena, there's the bathroom over there and the bedroom to your left. I think it would be wise for you to get into some dry clothes, wash up, and get some rest. Believe me honey, you really must take care of yourself now before that cold of yours gets any worse. Do you need someone to help you?"

"Thank you," whispered Relena drowsily, "but I'll be all right by myself. It's okay"

"Are you sure? You look extremely pale dear, like you're going to collapse any moment now. Why don't we give you some tea and you can take it to bed with you? How does that sound?" asked Sally, the doctor in her showing face.

"No, thank you. I'll be all right. I'm just going to change, then I'll go straight to bed... is that all right?"

"Of course little one. Why don't you go on and stay in the bedroom? It's much more comfortable than sleeping on this cold ground, and you need all of the rest you can get," said Catherine, trying to suppress a giggle.

"Yes miss, you must stay in the bedroom. You can use my sleeping bag for an extra blanket, for you look feverish, and therefore you must be cold. Just focus on getting well now," said a more patient than usual Dorothy.

With that, Relena took off in the direction of the bathroom and closed the door behind her.

"Pheeew! Thank goodness she's gone," sighed a relieved Hilde.

"What do you mean?" Heero asked, becoming rather insulted that she would talk about Relena that way.

"What I mean is, you all want to know what's been going on around here, don't you?" asked Hilde frankly. The boys all nodded their heads and sat down on the floor and in the two remaining chairs. "Well then, I couldn't possibly tell you with Serena in the room. She seems to be such a sensitive little thing, and with her feeling under the weather-forgive my pun-I didn't know how much excitement she could handle. Just playing it safe." With that, Hilde gave them all a quick wink." Anyway, this all started about a year and a half ago...

*Flashback*

It was only about a month until the end of the year, and peace still had a strong hold over Earth and the colonies. The pilots had continued their duties of protecting the young Vice Foreign Minister until one day, when word came in about a skirmish in the outskirts of the newly rebuilt Sanc Kingdom. The boys didn't have their gundams at easy access, so this mission would be a little more inconvenient than their others. They didn't want to get Relena involved, so they never told her about the rebel group and were going to sneak away to fight when she went for her meeting in China. But that never happened. She specifically asked them to accompany her to the session, and there was no way to refuse her. Their only choice: send ONE of them to take care of the rebellion so that Relena wouldn't become too suspicious. That was all fine and dandy except for one detail... it was a suicide mission. One of them had to be willing to sacrifice himself for her safety or as Heero put it, "to keep the peace." As could have been guessed, Heero willingly volunteered for the job and, in his point-of-view, there was no turning back. He left during the night to spare himself Relena's tearful good-bye, but he wasn't content without at least gazing upon her for the last time.

That night, he crept onto the balcony of her room through the open window, which was supplying a cool and sensuous breeze. He was timid at first, and stayed within the confines of the ribbon-laced curtains. He stood there for probably an hour until he realized that he had to leave. What he was doing was right, what he was doing was good, what he was doing, he was doing for... her. Something though, something in him would not just let him walk away and leave her there wondering why he wouldn't be with her in the morning... or any other morning.

At that thought, the wind changed from being a warm summer breeze, into the breath of Eolis himself. Goosebumps began to penetrate their way onto his skin and caused him to shudder violently. As he began to walk unto her bed, he heard her shivering. Her eyes were shut tight and her arms were wrapped tightly around the furry bear, pulling it closer to her breast, to keep her warm. Her nightgown was an incredibly thin, pale silk that helped not to warm her. The satin sheets were pushed to the end of the bed in a desperate attempt to earlier cool herself. She looked so frightened, so miserable, so... lonely.

He was about to walk away when he heard her whisper something into the shadows of the deep night, "Heero. No, no don't leave me, please. Don't run away from me." A lone tear slipped down her cheek as she uttered these words. Over and over she said them, until a strong yet mild caress cautiously placed itself on her elegant lips.

She immediately stopped struggling and fell back into a serene repose, content with his touch. He slowly lowered his head to hers, with their lips only breaths apart, and was about to place his lips upon her own when she stirred and turned her face away from him. He quickly jerked back and ran to the balcony, leaping onto the roof above. In a way he was thankful for her hesitation, because it brought him back to his senses which he had momentarily lost. But then again, this was the last time he would ever lay his eyes on her. He then wanted so much to be able to go back inside and kiss her goodnight, show her what he's been hiding sense he first saw her. No. No, he couldn't do that. He was a soldier, a heartless assassin of all that was innocent and sweet. He couldn't bear it if he ended up killing her. He would never forgive himself... never.

Just as he was about to leave, he heard some rustling from within her room. When he went in to check on her, he saw her bounding out of her bed, holding the sheets around her brittle frame. She ran over to the balcony and looked up to the moon for reassurance.

"Heero... where are you? You promised... you promised me." With that, she began to sob hysterically into the sheets that she was using to warm herself. Upon seeing this, Heero was just about to jump and capture her in his protective embrace, making her cease the crystal lake made of her tears, which she was now shedding. But right before he did, she stopped crying.

"Heero. I know your somewhere, watching over me. Please, come back... my hero," Relena said, a smile pulling at her lips because of the play on words in her last statement. "I won't cry anymore Heero. I promise you."

After she whispered his name once more, she began a graceful waltz in the moonlight. As he gazed upon her, for the first time since he had ever known her, he saw who Relena Peacecraft really was. As she danced, her hair cascaded along her slender features and reflected the essence of the moonbeams. It looked to him as if she was made of an inextinguishable light, and her form and distinct visage were outlined in luminous diamonds tears. She was indeed and angel. The sheets now swirled around her to give her whipping wings, and her white, silken gown reflected her purity of heart as the twinkle of the stars danced along the waters of her eyes.

"I will keep my promise my angel... I will protect you, even if you can't see me." His voice trailed off into the distance as he left his young love, his only love, dancing with his soul deep into the night.

Relena did not remember falling back asleep that night, but when she was awakened by the sun's rays, she found herself back in her bed, all covered up, with Chocolate Soldier (that's the name of the teddy bear Heero gave her at the end of the series) resting alongside her.

When she came down for breakfast that morning, she heard the boys talking about Heero and some kind of mission. She stealthily crept to the bottom of the stairs to eavesdrop on their conversation.

"I think we should tell her, I mean, she has a right to know where he went," Duo insisted.

"I do agree Duo," said Quatre, "but I think it's in her best interest not to tell her right now. Who knows what she would do?"

"We all know she really cares about him, and I don't know if I could bear breaking her heart like that. She may never get over it," said Trowa in his usual monotone voice.

"Let's just wait a little while until she asks us about him. Then we'll tell her the truth. Until then, just make up some kind of excuse on why Heero isn't here," said Wufei "matter of factly."

She couldn't believe it. Heero was going to leave her alone. No, it couldn't be, he wouldn't. Not again. She ran from the stairs sobbing heavily and ran out of the house just stopping long enough to grab her white cloak. The boys turned to the door as they heard the noise she made as she left. When seeing no one, they continued with their discussion.

The wind outside was icy and fierce and the clouds began to scold her actions with its reverberating thunder. It was as if it was trying to skew her from her destination by throwing brilliant lighting bolts in her path. To tell the truth, she didn't even notice the storm that was coming for her. All she knew was that she wanted to get to Heero before, before...

It was drawing near night now, and she had no idea where she was or where she was going. Something in her heart just kept telling her to move on and not give up. But she was cold, wet, and tired. She knew that Heero had to be dead by now, and she didn't even get to say good-bye.

"Heero... Heero... HEEROOO!!!" she kept saying his name, more power and despair accompanied each time, until she was wailing his name over the sound of the downpour.

Finally, about ten steps later, she collapsed, wanting to die... wanting to be with him. If he was dead, then the only way for her to be able to see him again was to die as well. She just gave up.

Right as her last breath was leaving her body, carrying her soul up to heaven with it, she heard footsteps. Her bodily instantaneously tensed, and she found new energy coursing through her veins.

*No... Heero would blame himself if someone else killed me. I must get away from this person and die by my own will.*

She then forced herself off of the unleveled soil and lunged at the man who was infringing on her destiny. Suddenly, two robust arms caught her and held her at bay. As she struggled to break fee, she looked into the eyes of this deceitful man who was to claim her.

"Heero..." she then fell into the abysmal slumber, which her body had been begging her to succumb to the entire day.

As she meekly opened her eyes, she could only see the outline of the man whom she had been searching for that day. It was night now, and the darkness that had swallowed her up before was threatening to do it again. Everything was becoming distant until a gruff voice rang out around her.

"Relena. Relena, you must stay awake for me. Your suffering from hypothermia, and it looks like you've got pneumonia as well."

She was wrapped up tightly in her cloak, along with another coat that she assumed to be Heero's. She pulled it snugly around her as he sat down next to her.

"What in the hell did you think you were doing Relena?" asked Heero harshly.

"Heero... I,"

With that, Heero grabbed her arm and forcefully slapped her across the face. He began to shake her violently and pinned her up against a nearby tree.

"Why did you do that? You should have left me. I'm worthless, WORTHLESS Relena! Don't ever give your life for scum like me! You're wasting you life Relena! You're committing a crime to all the people in this lowdown world who need you to be their strength and pull them up from the ashes! How could you Relena? How could you?" Heero yelled out of frustration and fear. Tears were threatening to spill from his eyes as he said these truths to her. He loved her so, and it took violence for him to show it.

"Heero," Relena choked out, still dizzy from his strike, "I love you... that's all I know."

"Oh my God... Relena" With that, he pulled her close to him to make sure she couldn't flee from his arms. They then looked into each other's eyes... no, their souls, and shared their first kiss.

It was indeed not a kiss of passion, for passion is associated with lust. This, what was between Heero Yuy and Relena Peacecraft, was love in its purest form. Their kiss was not long, only a few moments at best, but it was innocent and untouched by the evil that had come to follow them as time had taken its toll. They were unsure, for they had never kissed before, but they learned together, and this is what laid the foundations for a new era of war and anguish...

 

 

 

AN: Okay I know that chapter was REALLY long, but I got an inspiration, and it wouldn't have come out right if it was separated. I hope you guys liked it, and I will tell you that the next part is going to clue you in on how the future came to be so distorted. Thanks for all of your support, and I ask you to please e-mail and tell me how I did with the romance. Even if you thought it was too mushy, also tell me if you thought I did well portraying it. This will help me set the standards for romance in later chapters. Until Part 5.