Hi everyone! I couldn't sleep again (I have the worst cold ever, and rest is impossible), so I'm delivering my Christmas fic a little early. This one doesn't have anything to do with any of my others, it just is what it is. I made it into a songfic towards the end - Merry Christmas/War is Over by John Lennon and Yoko Ono. My Mom plays this song every year and it always brings tears to my eyes. Anyway, read on, and please review (it'll cheer me up and possibly stop me from begging to be put out of my misery * sniffle, cough and groan *).

 

Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing or the song Merry Christmas/War is Over (as if anyone ever could).

 

AC 197 - THE SANK KINGDOM, ONE WEEK BEFORE CHRISTMAS

 

Relena fastened the shiny blue bow to the small silver package, and smiled, admiring her very neat wrapping job. She picked up the little box and a large bag and made her way down the hall, catching him just in time. "Duo, please wait. Duo!" He turned around, instantly recognizing her voice.

"Hey, Relena! Didn't expect to see you here, thought you were leaving for that meeting in the colonies. Another Christmas in the trenches," he sighed.

Smiling weakly, Relena nodded and handed him the bag. "I'll be going in an hour. These are for you and Hilde, just in case I don't make it back in time. And Duo - NO PEEKING!" He gave a look of mock offense for a moment, then joyfully took the bag and thanked her. He noticed that she still held something in her hand. Relena looked at the floor for a few seconds, and then held out the small gift. Quietly she asked, "Duo, do you know where to find Heero?" Duo's mind was spinning, and he knew he couldn't lie to her. He stood there feeling conflicted, because he had promised Heero that he would tell no one where he was. Duo knew that she loved Heero, and had his suspicions that Heero felt something for her as well. All he could do was give a tortured look.

Relena knew the answer to her question by his reaction. "You don't have to tell me where he is," she said sadly. "Can you... can you just see that he gets this?" she asked, handing Duo the gift.

"Sure I can," Duo said lowly. With that he headed down the stairs.

 

 

The green glow of the computer screen eerily illuminated Heero's face as he did his daily check for signs of threats to the peace. The room he worked in was sparse and cold, and the only noise was the sound of his fingers clacking on the keyboard. Staring intently at the information about the colony meetings, he noticed the mention of Relena's name. Shaking thoughts of her out of his head, he continued to scan various networks, finding no sign of any danger. There were no rumors of assassination attempts or bombings or anything like that. Could it be that the month of December would be a quiet one? Heero turned the computer off and leaned back in his chair, not sure what to do with himself right then. But the silence of the room was broken as Duo's familiar form walked through the door. "Hi, buddy," he said, not quite sounding as cheerful as usual. Not that Heero would ever ask him if something was wrong. Duo produced the package that Relena had asked him to deliver and held it out to Heero, who sat motionless, just staring at the silver foil wrapping paper and bow. Duo moved closer. "This is for you. Uh, someone special asked me to give it to you." He placed the box in Heero's hands, and turned to leave. "Well, see ya later," he said as the door closed behind him.

Heero examined the small package like it was something grossly unfamiliar to him. In all actuality it was, because throughout his life, Heero never remembered even once receiving a gift. Christmas had never been part of his upbringing, and he didn't know when his birthday was, not that Dr. J would have made anything of it even if he had known. Heero sat there with the present for at least half an hour before he opened it. Carefully tearing away the paper, he found a sturdy black container. Upon opening that, he pulled out a small, circular, solid silver box with angel wings etched on the top. Curious, he held it in the palm of his hand and unlatched the lid. Suddenly the tiny strains of a familiar melody sounded from the box. Where had he heard that song? It all came back to him as he read the engraving on the inside of the lid.

"To Heero,
I could never forget about you.
Merry Christmas,
Relena."

When they had danced, the night he saved her - that had been years ago. Heero was amazed that she still thought of him. When all the fighting had finished, the war still went on in his mind. He couldn't let go of the past, how he had grown up, what had happened the year the gundams came to earth. The emotions that came to the surface when he was near Relena frightened him, so he left, knowing that he would be no good to her if he stayed. Now the first person to ever show him kindness was reaching out again. He regarded the music box for a few more minutes, then tucked it into his jacket pocket as he got up to leave. Duo watched him walk towards the door. "Tell me you're going to see her," he said, knowing that he was taking his chances. Heero turned to go, but stopped and looked back at his friend.

"I'm going to see her."

 

 

CHRISTMAS EVE

Relena collapsed into the shuttle seat, exhausted but grateful that she was going to make it home for Christmas Day. She wearily pulled out a few files and began reading the reports on the war recovery program, to help those who had been displaced by all the fighting. Mostly children who had lost their parents. She was glad she could help them, and she hoped that this year would be better for all of them.

So this is Christmas
And what have you done
Another year over
And a new one just begun
And so this is Christmas
I hope you have fun
The near and the dear one
The old and the young

She closed the files as the shuttle began to take off. Relena figured that she'd better get some sleep if she was going to do much of anything tomorrow. She smiled, thinking of seeing Milliardo and Miss Noin, and relaxing by the huge decorated tree in the Peacecraft mansion.

A very Merry Christmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear

Relena hadn't noticed the young man that had been aboard the shuttle when she arrived, she thought that she was the lone passenger. Heero had watched her, still wondering if he would really get himself to go and face her. He had been reading a newspaper while he waited, and he glanced down at one of the headlines. "THE SEASON OF MIRACLES," it read. Could a miracle happen to him?

And so this is Christmas

For weak and for strong
For rich and the poor ones
The world is so wrong
And so happy Christmas
For black and for white
For yellow and red ones
Let's stop all the fight

 

Heero kept his eyes glued on her, his feelings crashing in his heart and head like waves on the shore. This went on for an hour until he finally looked away. While watching the stars from the window, he felt a sudden sense of calm, and for the first time, Heero was able to make sense of his emotions. Relena was not more than twenty feet away from him, so he made himself stand up, and he began to walk.

A very Merry Christmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear

She hadn't been able to fall asleep. Relena had given herself over to the memories of last Christmas, when Heero had fought for her once again. She wondered what he thought of her gift - or if he even bothered to think of it at all. It's no surprise that she was startled out of her musings when she heard the sound of a familiar voice. "Merry Christmas, Relena."

And so this is Christmas
And what have we done
Another year over

A new one just begun

"Heero?" she blurted out as she felt her jaw drop. He took the seat next to the stunned Relena and produced the music box she had given him. 'Did he come all this way to tell me he doesn't want it?' she thought.

"Thank you for the gift," he said as she continued to look at him in even deeper bewilderment. Heero was here. He was sitting next to her. Did Heero just say "thank you?"

"You - you're welcome," she stammered, finally managing to close her mouth when she finished speaking. "I've missed you, Heero," she said sadly. "I had hoped you would stay in the Sank Kingdom after what happened last year."

She saw the change in his face when he replied. "I couldn't stay. I couldn't forget." He bowed his head a tear slipped down from one of his deep blue eyes.

 

And so happy Christmas
We hope you have fun
The near and the dear one
The old and the young

 

"Forget what?" Relena asked, not sure what he had meant. "The war?" she ventured. He nodded in affirmation.

A very Merry Christmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear

Relena took his hand, and looked straight into his eyes. "The war is over."

He shook his head. "It still goes on... in here," first he pointed to his head, "and in here," then to his heart.

Tears were now starting in Relena's eyes as she understood his pain for the first time. "Heero, you have to let it go. Forgive yourself," she said, her voice tender yet firm.

"Do you forgive me?" he asked, gripping her hand tightly.

"Yes I do," she replied without hesitation.

 

War is over, if you want it
War is over - now

 

Heero looked at her for a long time, and realized that what he felt for her must be love, and that love would bring about peace. From that moment he was able to let his burden go. He leaned over and took Relena into his arms, holding her close. He had gotten his miracle. He smiled, and as he bent down to kiss her, the war in his heart ceased for good. "Merry Christmas," he whispered again.

 

War is over, if you want it
War is over - now...

 

I hope you all enjoyed my little Christmas fic. Happy Holidays! Joy, Peace and Love - Stella