Hi everyone! Gosh, it's been a while since I've added anything to this songfic series. Well, here you go. I usually like to use songs that most of you may not be familiar with, but in this case, I COULDN'T FIND ONE - so I watched Evita over the holidays and the rest is history. This fic takes up at the end of Endless Waltz, a few weeks after "End of the Innocence" (the fic before this one, in case you forgot). So, without further ado...

Disclaimer: Ok, one more ado - Don't own Gundam Wing or the song. There, I said it.

You Must Love Me

Relena knelt there, just holding Heero's limp body as the world moved around them. People in uniforms ran back and forth; Lady Une followed as they rushed Mariemaia out of the decaying room to a hospital. Soldiers clamored to collect evidence and remove Dekim Barton's lifeless body. It seemed as if no one noticed the two of them at all, the only still forms amidst the fury of bodies whirling around them in the darkened, nearly destroyed compound.

She held him close, gently moving the dark brown locks of hair away from his damp forehead. "Heero..." He had come to her rescue again, but now... It was over. He no longer needed to fight, to kill, and she... Relena had abandoned her ideal of total pacifism, realizing that peace was something that did not come without a fight. The last few days and nights had been a veritable storm, filled with battles and fear. Now all the tension that had been mounting was falling away. As the room emptied, it seemed as though the clouds were ebbing out of sight, and the calm was creeping in. Yet Relena breathed no sigh of relief. Cradling the boy she loved in her arms, she knew that nothing between them would ever be simple. What direction would they (and the world for that matter) take from this moment on? Sadly, she mused that perhaps they were more lost than ever before.

 

Where do we go from here?
This isn't where we intended to be

 

It was a war that had first brought them together, and through all the chaos he had been her source of strength. Heero fought for her, for her dream. And all he had ever asked in return was for Relena to have faith in him.

 

We had it all, you believed in me
I believed in you

 

* Two Days Later*

"How do you wish to proceed, Vice-Foreign Minister Darlian?" The stark white room full of representatives all turned their eyes towards her. Relena snapped to attention, having been lost in her thoughts of Heero, who was resting in the nearby infirmary. "Vice-Foreign Minister? Miss Darlian?"

"Yes, um, right now I feel the best thing to do is to draft a defense policy that both earth and the colonies can agree on." In reality, Relena didn't know what to do. All she knew is that she wanted to make sure that Heero would never have to hurt anyone, or himself, ever again. She felt that this was the least that she could do for him. But how? Relena thought that it would take her five lifetimes to get all these matters resolved, and silently she despaired over the fact that she might let him down. She no longer clung so vehemently to a one-sided view of how the world should be, yet she still wanted peace more than anything. Well, almost anything.

 

Certainties disappear
What do we do for our dream to survive?
How do we keep all our passions alive,
As we used to do?

 

The conference adjourned for a short recess, and Relena hurriedly made her way to Heero's bedside. Sally Po was exiting his room, chart in hand as Relena nearly collided into her. Stammering an apology, she watched as Sally nodded in acceptance and whispered, "He's sleeping," before quietly making her way into the room.

He looked so peaceful, like the boy he should have been. She took his hand and just stared at him. The memories hit her like an on-coming train; the first time she'd ever seen him, lying there helpless on the beach; all the times he had saved her life (that she knew of); the day in the field not so long ago - the tree, the soft fragrant breeze, he was so close - all those kisses... She wanted to spend her life thanking him, each and everyday. She wanted to ease his pain and fill his heart the way that he had filled hers. She wanted to make him feel loved and happy. But all Relena could
do at that moment was sit quietly by his bed and shed silent tears as Heero lay slumbering.

 

Deep in my heart I'm concealing
Things that I'm longing to say
Scared to confess what I'm feeling
Frightened you'll slip away

 

"Relena..."

 

You must love me

 

"Heero?"

 

You must love me

 

He groaned slightly as his eyes fluttered open. Heero didn't have to ask where he was, and he didn't have to ask what had happened. The only question in his mind was whether or not the girl beside him was a dream. He had dreamed of her so often, and her voice echoed through his head endlessly calling to him. Finally his bleary eyes focused on her face. 'Why is she here?' he wondered. 'She doesn't need me anymore.'

 

Why are you at my side?
How can I be any use to you now?

 

Relena smiled at him as he strained to sit up. Heero looked down and noticed that she held his hand and he raised his eyes to meet her gaze. Relena opened her mouth to speak, but she was cut off by one of her aids noisily entering the room. "Vice-Foreign Minister," he chirped, sliding to a halt as he held one of the doors open with his arm. "Pardon me," he said lowly, "But the representatives wish for you to give your statement to the public immediately." He ran
over and began to help her from the chair, well, more like dragging her out of it. She looked sorrowfully at Heero as she relinquished her grip on his hand, the aid pulling her from the room. The look in her eyes told him that she would be back, but it was the voice of her heart that cried out to him.

 

Give me a chance and I'll let you see how
Nothing has changed

 

Heero hurriedly leapt out of bed and grabbed his clothes. After dressing very quickly, he stealthily made his way unnoticed out of the hospital wing and down toward the conference hall. He heard Relena's voice ringing clearly through the vast auditorium, and followed the sound, ending up in a deserted balcony seat above the stage. She was alone on the platform with dozens of bright lights shining on her. There was a detectable weariness in her demeanor, but the same fervor was still implanted in her words. He watched her there, as he had done many times in the past, marveling at how strong she was. Again he wondered how someone like her could possibly need a person like him, and though he could not admit to himself, he wanted to be needed.

 

Deep in my heart I'm concealing
Things that I'm longing to say
Scared to confess what I'm feeling
Frightened you'll slip away

 

He took his time, allowing his eyes to drink in her every movement and graceful gesture as she spoke about the fight for peace; the way she tucked the stray tendrils of her long hair behind her ear; how her eyes closed almost completely when she was contemplating her next words. Finally, casting his eyes downward, Heero forced his legs to move and he quickly walked away. "Good-bye, Relena," he whispered.

 

You must love me...

 

Relena finished her speech moments later, and felt as though she were ready to faint. Avoiding the reporters, she slipped out of a side door, intent on going back to Heero's hospital room as soon as her head was clear. Taking in deep breaths, a figure walking between the street lamps just a few feet ahead caught her attention. She knew that silhouette anywhere. "Heero!" she cried hoarsely, trying to run despite her spinning head. Thoughts raced in her mind - 'Is he leaving? No, he can't!'

He turned to face her as she appeared by his side, gasping for breath. He didn't know what to say to her; it wasn't supposed to happen like this. Heero noticed a tear trailing its way down Relena's cheek, and as if acting on instinct, he reached out to wipe it away while she regarded him. Her eyes searched him, pleading for something, but he didn't know what that something was.

 

You must love me...

 

Heero tried to choose his words carefully, but they sounded alien to him as they escaped his lips. "You are strong enough on your own, Relena. I can't help you anymore - you don't need me." With that he turned away from her, but was stopped again when she reached out for him.

Relena could not find the words to tell him what she wanted to, so they stood there beneath the streetlights in silence as she held tightly to his sleeve. She would stay like this forever if it meant being close to him. "But I do need you," she whispered, her voice barely audible. Relena looked at him, trying to read his stoic face, the whole while her expression fought to convey the message.

 

You Must Love Me...

 

So will he stay? Sorry about the cliffhanger (well, actually I'm not really *laughs maniacally*) Oh, come on! You know I love you all, so don't be too mad at me. I haven't decided whether or not to end this series happily or (gasp) otherwise, so please cast your vote! Take care everybody & thanks for reading - Stella