ZERO

By: Sakura Lena Yuy

 

 

Disclaimer: I don't own the characters of Gundam Wing; they are products of Bandai and Sunrise.

Author's Note: This is an AU, so if things seem strange hopefully that fact will clear things up. The setting is a post-apocalyptic world. Pairings: 1xRP, 2xHS, 3xDC, and 4xCB, with slight 5xSP.

Warnings: Let me think about thishmmno warnings.

Chapter 4: Melodies of Memories

Catherine hustled along with the crowds that scrambled the streets of downtown Neo New York. The rush hour was moving quicker than usual because of the sudden drop in temperature. The masses moved quickly to their destinations searching for some much-needed warmth. Catherine lifted the collar of her coat to ward off the coming winter's chill. She stopped at a newsstand and scanned the headlines of several global newspapers. She stopped abruptly before paying when she noticed the cover story of the Liberty Press. Underneath the bold headline was the name Quatre R. Winner.

"Damn Winner," Catherine hissed under her breath.

She paid for the several papers and continued on her way. Suddenly she heard a familiar beep in her ear. "Bloom here."

"Cathy it's me."

Catherine shook her head. "Shouldn't you be at work Hilde. Programmers don't have any simple luxuries such as phone calls."

"Yes and no. You forget that I am not ordinary programmer," Hilde causally answered. "Have you heard from Dee?"

"No, why?"

Hilde sighed, "I tried her headset four times already and still no answer. It's been driving me crazy. I want to know what happened last night, you know. Especially after she ran off with Commander Barton."

Catherine rolled her eyes. "She didn't run off with him Hilde, she went to deal with him."

"Surebelieve that," Hilde responded. "What would you do with a delectable dish like that after bringing him to your private office."

Catherine looked at her watch impatiently and groaned. "Question him."

"Once a journalist always a journalist."

Catherine smiled. "And once a horny pixie always a horny pixie."

Hilde giggled. "You got that right. Well I gotta buzz, and if you get in contact with boss tell her to contact me."

Catherine stood by a food cart and nodded. "Yeah sure. Bye Hilde."

She ordered a cup of coffee before entering Liberty Press. Catherine greeted several of her co-workers as she headed toward her office. Once within the security of the room, Catherine tossed her coat and rummaged through the newspapers. She picked up the copy of Liberty Press and eyed the headline.

"Wedding of the Century," Catherine read out loud. "Khushrenada and Peacecraft's wedding may bring much needed order to the chaotic streets of Neo New York. This engagement will also further the accessibility of new cybernetic technology that P.T.I has accomplished this past year."

Catherine slammed the paper on her desk. She placed her head in her hands and shook her head. Her eyes came across the end of the story, and grabbed the paper again.

"Tomorrow evening will be the engagement party of Khushrenada and Peacecraft, which will be held at the Sheridan Hotel."

She sipped her coffee and looked out her window. Catherine watched as the thick storm clouds released a light snow. She watched as the snowflakes danced around the skyscrapers.

"Music on, Triton's selection."

Suddenly the office was filled with the soothing sounds of a jazz band, headlined with a saxophone. Catherine closed her eyes as she absorbed herself in the music. Her head swayed gently to the deep soulful tune. Images of a young man playing the saxophone plagued her mind. His red hair flopped forward in his face trying to cover his soulful lavender eyes, but he would instinctively toss his hair back. Without warning her door flew open, and Winner anxiously stood by the doorway.

"So Bloom, looks like I beat you to the punch," He stated loudly.

Catherine cleared her throat. "This time, Winner."

Quatre moved closer to her desk, and noticed her slouched position. "Are you alright?"

"What does it matter to you," she scoffed.

"Nothing," Quatre flatly responded, then his ears picked up the music. "What is that?"

Catherine looked up at him. "The music?"

He nodded. "It's beautiful."

"That's my brother." She saw Quatre's confused glance, then added. "The saxmy brother played the saxophone."

"He's good."

"Was good," she sadly corrected.

"Was?" Quatre inquired further.

"He died four years ago. My family lived outside of Quebec, while I tried to establish myself here in Neo New York. My brother was part of a band, a jazz band. He had a passion for the saxophone and wanted to do nothing more than play it."

Quatre leaned against Catherine desk listening to her story. "So what happened?"

Catherine turned back to the window. "He had a gig, November 5th. I couldn't make it but my parents went. We all loved the way he played, and we always did our best to be there for him. The small coffeehouse was a suspected Resistance hideout, but it wasn't. The same night of my brother's gig the Military Forces moved in. And while my brother was on stage playing his heart out, those bastards went in a raided the place. They killed everyone in sight. I never got another chance to hear him play."

************************************************************************

Duo Maxwell sped through the winding cliff-side road to the Yuy estate. His black refurbished Mustang convertible handled each of the tight curves with ease. The loud sounds of drums and guitars surrounded the speeding vehicle. He zoomed passed the open cast-iron gates then came to a screeching halt in front the main entrance of the mansion. He tipped down his sleek sunglasses and eyed the stained-glass doors.

Duo bopped his head along with the beat, while tapping his fingers along the steering column. He sighed impatiently; he pulled out a cigarette from his leather coat and lit the thin piece of tobacco.

"I hope your planning to turn that thing off."

Duo gave a toothy grin. "Sure thing boss."

Duo tapped the volume dial on the radio, shutting off the deafening music. Heero shook his head in disapproval, and took a seat in the passenger side. He gave Duo a critical look before removing the offending stick that hung off his assistant's lips.

"I meant the cigarette," Heero scowled. "But shutting off that infernal racket was the next thing on my agenda."

Duo rolled his eyes, before turning the radio back on. "This is my car, remember that."

Heero tossed his friend a death glare. "Your car. I'll remember when the next insurance payment comes in for this car."

Duo shrugged his shoulders. "I was only kidding boss."

Then Duo slammed on the accelerator speeding the car forward. While Duo navigated through the meandering roads, Heero pulled out a small mini-disc from inside his briefcase and stopped the music. Duo glanced momentarily at the dark-haired man, before turning back to the road.

"Well you said that you were gonna get rid of that what was it againinfernal racket."

"Yes infernal racket," Heero flatly replied.

Instantly the car was filled the soft melody of a classical piano. Duo raised an eyebrow at the sudden change, and glanced back at the young millionaire. He released a low whistle.

"I always knew you were too rich for my blood."

Heero sighed impatiently. "It has nothing to do with rich blood, but the pianist."

Duo opened his mouth, but said nothing realizing what he meant. "Oh"

"These are some of Relena's pieces. They're about ten years old­ back, back when everything was fine and back when we were happy. She was a musical prodigy; no one could deny that. She had a love, a passion for music. Back in those days Relena was music, and the musicwas Relena. Nothing could stop her playing; she would play and play and play. The Peacecraft manor was filled endlessly with the sound of her music, and it brought great joy to all those heard it."

Duo watched Heero through the corner of his eye, while the he continued to speak of his childhood love. "It must have been nice."

A tiny smile touched Heero's lips. "It was. But sadly all great things come to an end. And he ended them. He ended the dreams and he endedthe music, the music of a wondrous little girl. He ended it all the day he cast her away from society ­ and from me."

************************************************************************

"I hear you Harris. All right, at nine. Don't worry I'll be there," Trowa whispered harshly into his com-link.

Trowa sighed irately as the nervous cadet continued his barge of questions and concerns. The russet-haired commander glanced at the large steel-framed bed and nodded. Dorothy continued to sleep and showed no signs of awakening soon.

Trowa shook his head. "Look, stop worryingI'll be there. I'm leaving in ten minutes so stop complainingI'm signing off HarrisGood-bye."

He tossed the circular com-link on a nearby chair and swiftly pulled on his pants. As he pulled on his blue turtleneck, he heard the sound of rustling sheets.

"Leaving so soon."

Trowa turned around and faced the blonde woman. Dorothy was on her side leaning on her elbow. The purple satin sheet only covered her lower half, while her pale locks draped over her bare chest.

"Yes," He firmly answered as he turned away.

Dorothy said nothing; instead she pulled on an oriental printed robe and walked toward the large glass window overlooking the club. She watched his reflection sadly, and wrapped her arms around her body. Once again feelings of unworthiness and disgust crept into her mind, feelings that she hadn't felt in a long time.

"You're a puppet."

Trowa looked over at her. "Is that so. Well fine then, believe what you want Dorothy, but I have no time for your idle chitchat."

Dorothy bitterly chuckled. "You're blind."

"Whatever. I don't care."

Trowa shrugged on his uniform coat and placed his hat on his head. He pushed the curtain aside, and marched out of her office. Dorothy glared at him coldly and raced after him. He descended the stairs stiffly and tipped his hat at the lingering workers. Even though it was early morning some of the late crew remained. The DJ was still playing soft lounge music; it wasn't as loud and rhythmic as the night sounds but it still had a disco-like melody.

Dorothy held her robe closed as she attempted to reach the young commander. Just before he walked out the door, she took hold of his arm. Trowa cringed at the force her cybernetic hand used to drag him back into the club. He tried to pull out of her grasp but it just caused more pain. Dorothy pushed him aside and stood in front of the door preventing him from exiting.

"You're a coward."

Trowa titled his head forward to allow his long bangs to cover his emerald eyes. He stuffed his hands inside his coat pockets and slumped over.

"Is that all you have to say," he whispered deeply.

"No," Dorothy firmly answered. "Why did you come here? Why come if you were just going to do the same thing again?"

"Because..."

"Because you are a fool ­ a fool for listening to him."

"He's is my best friend. The only friend I have! The only person I can trust! He was so right about you. You're nothing more than a seductress who will do anything for information. But you are not getting anything out of menot this time Dorothy!"

Dorothy laughed bitterly. "If I wanted information I would have asked you last night, and if you wouldn't have given me the facts I would have killed you already."

"Then why don't you," Trowa hissed. "Why don't you just kill me now. God knows that you will destroy me, why don't you just get it over with!"

"If I wanted you dead, you would be. But be grateful I still owe you too much."

************************************************************************

"Une listen to me. I would love to brief you, but I'm at Peacecraft manor and have no time for you," Treize sighed.

He gazed at his reflection in the mirror and ran his fingers through his honey locks. Treize straightened his china blue tie, and then checked his teeth for any fragments of food. The door opened and his comrade walked in. Treize urgently motioned for the young man, and cleared his throat.

"As I said before Une, I would love to brief you on the meeting with the United World Military, but I have a pressing engagement. Fear not, Barton will inform you on everythingyesjust ask him. Very well then, adieu Une, adieu."

Trowa groaned softly as he took hold of the com-link. "Must I?"

Treize nodded. "Yes you must. I have to meet with Peacecraft, just get rid of her."

"Fine," Trowa sighed. "Une, Barton here. Yeswell you know how things get."

The General firmly patted the young commander's shoulder before exiting the parlor room. Treize walked courtly toward Millardo's office. He found the businessman scanning several documents. The General went directly to the nearby liquor cabinet and pour some drinks, before taking a seat directly in front of the millionaire.

"Are the proposals to your liking Miller," Treize questioned before taking a sip from his brandy.

Millardo nodded in agreement. "Very much so General Khushrenada. I am glad we can come to such a nice arrangement."

"A toast then. To our new and healthy partnership."

"And to your marriage, future brother-in-law."

The two men clicked their glasses and drank. Suddenly the sound of a piano playing filled the halls. Millardo cast a dark glare toward the adjacent wall, while Treize raised his chin as if to hear the music better.

"I told her not to play that thing after dinner," Millardo hissed.

Treize raised an eyebrow at his partner. "Who? It sounds rather nice."

"I'll tell her to stop. She knows better."

As Millardo headed toward the door, he felt a strong, heavy hand on his shoulder.

"Who is playing that enchanting tune, Miller?"

"Relena."

Treize was taken back by the reply. "My Relena."

Millardo nodded.

"I would like to see her play. If you will allow me to?"

"Fine. But close the door to my office, I can't stand hearing that thing."

Treize shrugged his shoulders. "As you wish."

The General walked out of the office and soundly shut the door. He didn't bother to ask where the music room he used the soft melodies as a guide. Treize strolled through the marble halls listening to the sweet tunes that the piano released. As the music got louder Treize noticed an open room at the end of the hall. To his surprise the room was not open but the walls were made of giant glass sheets. The two large crystalline doors were left ajar allowing the music to flow freely. In the center of this enormous glass box was a pure white grand piano and seated at the keys was Relena.

Her white sweater lied beside her on the bench, and only her lavender dress remained. Treize examined her bare arms and followed them as the moved from one end to the other. Her golden locks gently swung along with her. The intensity of the song dimmed slowly signaling the ending. As she tapped the final note, Treize clapped loudly causing her to jump.

"Treize. Hmmwas I bothering anyone?"

He chuckled. "Such beauty does nothing but calm the soul. Why would you ask a silly question like that?"

"My brother doesn't like it."

"You're brother is a fool," Treize stated firmly, bringing a smile to Relena's face.

"Thank you. I'm glad that you enjoyed it," She whispered gently.

"Does it have to end," Treize questioned as he neared her. "Can you play another piece?"

Her eyes lit up at his request. "Of course. Please take a seat." She motioned to empty space next to her.

Treize smiled warmly, and took a seat next to his fiancée. "Thank you."

"My parents used to love music," she stated as she began another song. "I guess I got my musical passion from them. I started taking lessons when I was really young, and by the age of ten I mastered even the most difficult classical pieces. They said I was a prodigy, but I never really understood what they meant. I just wanted to play, and that is all I did play and play and play."

"Well you do have a natural talent. They must have been very proud," Treize said softly.

Relena nodded. "They were. The music made everyone happywell maybe except for Miller. He never enjoyed my music, but then again he never liked any of our music."

"Really," Treize pondered softly. "Is that why he doesn't allow you playing after dinner?"

Relena stopped playing, and looked at the General. "I'm not allowed to play at all."

"So you defy him."

"Only today, because you're here. I figured Miller too distracted to noticed, but I guess I was wrong."

Treize draped his arm around her shoulders. "Don't worry Relena, you will be able to play whenever you want ­ now that I'm here."

"Really," she exclaimed and wrapped her arms around him. "Thank youthank you so much Treize."

He placed a soft kiss on her cheek, causing her to blush. "You will have whatever you wantmy sweet. Now finish playing."

Relena smile widely and turned back to the ivory keys. The winsome sounds began once more. Treize watched as she closed her eyes feeling each note, while watching her he couldn't help but muse about Millardo and his dominating presence.

'She is like a fairy tale princess locked up in a falling castle. But her oppressor is no hideous ogre or frightful dragon, but her brother. Now why would such a confident man hide such an innocent girl? Unless she knows something that she isn't even aware of.'

TBC

Author's Word: Sorry it took so long to get this chapter out. But here it is, finally! The music mention in the chapter really sets the mood, so I will basically list the soundtrack by scene.

Goodnight Julia: Cowboy Bebop

Fisherman's Horizon: Final Fantasy VIII

Spinning by Zero 7 (Simple Things)

Fisherman's Horizon and Ami: Final Fantasy VIII

Hope you enjoy.